Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #1041
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I really hope the nhl steps up and rigs the lotto so the oilers can't win.
I'm actually already preparing myself for Matthews in an Oilers shirt. Makes it easier when it inevitably happens.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #1042
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A nice warm cup of STFU to all the negative nellies saying we are bound to drop to 6th/7th or that the Oilers are for sure winning the lotto.

Keep it to yourself, it's bringing the rest of us down. Can we try being positive or hopeful instead, please and thank you.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #1043
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
A nice warm cup of STFU to all the negative nellies saying we are bound to drop to 6th/7th or that the Oilers are for sure winning the lotto.

Keep it to yourself, it's bringing the rest of us down. Can we try being positive or hopeful instead, please and thank you.
Really I'm not sure where the doom and gloom comes from altogether. Yes the oilers have drafted 1st a lot, but the draft has been good to the flames. Getting great players in later rounds and getting monahan at 6 and Bennett at 4 was pretty great!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #1044
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. It hasn't worked in the past and I'd rather prepare for the more realistic options and then be surprised if something good actually happens.

Even at 6 or 7 or around there, the Flames would be getting a really solid player.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #1045
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If we get "shafted", end up drafting 6 or 7 and get stuck with one of Nylander/Dubois/Tkachuk/Chychrun I don't see a problem. The worst case scenario is still pretty good. And we'll still have a good chance of drafting top 5.

No need for doom and gloom or pessimism when the worst case outcome is drafting someone close to Bennett/Monahan in upside and ability.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #1046
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not really doom and gloom IMO. I've said that most any of the guys in the top 10 or so would really help the Flames, it'd be foolish to say you wouldn't prefer one of the higher ranked guys though. It is somewhat realistic to believe that the Flames will move down from their original ranking and preparing for that isn't really a bad thing. The Flames could really use a guy like Tkachuck or Dubois or Nylander or any of the top 10 or so guys. I'd just rather think that the Flames are going to get someone like that and if they can get someone better, it's awesome. Saying that getting one of those guys would be bad is more doom and gloom, I'm hyping those guys up if anything.

I'm also preparing for the oilers to get Matthews because if they don't, it'll be great to rub their noses in it!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #1047
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Look 7 posts up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Seriously?
Well that's embarrassing. Thanks, Enoch. Nice work.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #1048
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ryan Kennedy @THNRyanKennedy
Calgary GM Brad Treliving on OHL scouting tour this week. Chychrun, Mikey McLeod, A. Nylander, M. Tkachuk & Olli Juolevi all in Flames range
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #1049
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Juolevi sounds a lot like a Finnish Brodie.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #1050
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hockeyprospect.com

"Our latest rankings are up. One move in the top 5 as Dubois is now up to 4th on our list.

I was talking to an NHL Central scout this weekend about a bunch of players and mentioned to him that I was going to move Dubois to #4 today. He gave the reaction I expected, didn't flinch. I really like Tkachuk, just like Dubois a bit more.

Logan Brown has been great in our recent viewings, held off for a bit but he's a riser this month.

I like Gauthier less with each viewing. He slides a bit. Just not a very smart player." - Mark Edwards

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-n...p-60-rankings/

1 Matthews (C)
2 Laine (RW)
3 Puljujarvi (RW)
4 Dubois (LW/C)
5 Tkachuk (LW)
6 Nylander (LW)
7 Juolevi (D)
8 Sergachev (D)
9 Chychrun (D)
10 Jost (C)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #1051
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yup Dubois just keeps rising. Thought that would happen back in the fall.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #1052
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Interesting note the Head Scout for hockeyprospect.com says he's talked to a scout from a team that has dropped Chychrun out of the top 10. Opinions on him seem to be very divided. That's the draft for you. If I had to guess I'm thinking that Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Juolevi and Chychrun are probably all in the top 5 list of certain teams. Now which one are in the Flames, hmmm
Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #1053
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Chychrun falls to around 10-12 spot I wonder what it would take for the Flames to move into that spot.

Could use a big, mean, d-man back there to really cap off our d-corps.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #1054
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's not really doom and gloom IMO. I've said that most any of the guys in the top 10 or so would really help the Flames, it'd be foolish to say you wouldn't prefer one of the higher ranked guys though. It is somewhat realistic to believe that the Flames will move down from their original ranking and preparing for that isn't really a bad thing. The Flames could really use a guy like Tkachuck or Dubois or Nylander or any of the top 10 or so guys. I'd just rather think that the Flames are going to get someone like that and if they can get someone better, it's awesome. Saying that getting one of those guys would be bad is more doom and gloom, I'm hyping those guys up if anything.

I'm also preparing for the oilers to get Matthews because if they don't, it'll be great to rub their noses in it!
Surely Toronto will get Matthews. After all, it's the centre of the universe.

Last edited by Rick M.; 03-08-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #1055
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft pick odds using Enoch Root's standings-pick percentages combined with sportsclubstats.com's final standings probabilities as of today.

(Numbers don't quite add to 100% in some cases because I just used sportsclubstats summary table which only shows to the nearest whole percent).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #1056
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Draft pick odds using Enoch Root's standings-pick percentages combined with sportsclubstats.com's final standings probabilities as of today.

(Numbers don't quite add to 100% in some cases because I just used sportsclubstats summary table which only shows to the nearest whole percent).
So 11th it is then.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #1057
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

God it still pisses me off that this is the route they chose to fix the draft.

####ing Oilers man, useless clowns.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #1058
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
God it still pisses me off that this is the route they chose to fix the draft.

####ing Oilers man, useless clowns.

It shouldn't. This is exactly what people criticizing the oilers wanted. Take away the incentive to tank.

You are likely just butt-hurt because we are terrible enough that it might negatively effect us.

However, the changes should, over time, help to make sure teams aren't consistently tanking, while ensuring that the teams that actually need the talent have the opportunity to draft it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #1059
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty crazy that even if you finish last its pretty much a coin flip for a top 3 pick.

I kinda like it. Sure it sucks that it comes in during our worst season ever, but whatever. It's a neat twist.

edit: Top 3, not top 10

Last edited by Frequitude; 03-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #1060
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
It shouldn't. This is exactly what people criticizing the oilers wanted. Take away the incentive to tank.

You are likely just butt-hurt because we are terrible enough that it might negatively effect us.

However, the changes should, over time, help to make sure teams aren't consistently tanking, while ensuring that the teams that actually need the talent have the opportunity to draft it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm "butt hurt" because it general it's a horrible solution. Cap number of top three pics over a set period. Done.

Tanking isn't a problem, constantly rewarding ineptitude is. Toronto is likely going to be finishing last and has what, a 50% chance at a top three pick?

That's dumb.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:

Tags
2016 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft