Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #4981
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of you guys get weird anomalies on Strava? It said I completed my 10.8km commute this morning in 22:34, which I don't really think is realistic for me. That's a 28.8km/h average. I think I can comfortably average about 24-25kph on my commute, and then more with a tailwind. This morning I left at 8:04am and arrived at around 8:35am, so that's 31 minutes door to door which means I was auto paused for 7:26? The numbers just don't add up for me!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #4982
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got a new chain and cassette put on my bike. On my commute this morning the chain slipped a couple times while I was hammering out of a dead stop. I almost wiped.

Is this something that should go away soon as the chain adjusts? Or should I return it to the shop?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #4983
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Do any of you guys get weird anomalies on Strava? It said I completed my 10.8km commute this morning in 22:34, which I don't really think is realistic for me. That's a 28.8km/h average. I think I can comfortably average about 24-25kph on my commute, and then more with a tailwind. This morning I left at 8:04am and arrived at around 8:35am, so that's 31 minutes door to door which means I was auto paused for 7:26? The numbers just don't add up for me!
I've seen some glitches in the past but for the most part it's pretty consistent. Using Fitbit instead of the Strava app has improved any inaccuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if changes cell/wifi signals might cause some variances.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #4984
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I've seen some glitches in the past but for the most part it's pretty consistent. Using Fitbit instead of the Strava app has improved any inaccuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if changes cell/wifi signals might cause some variances.
Ha, you are right. I definitely did not cycle across the bow river twice:

Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #4985
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Destroyed myself on Highwood yesterday. My whole body hurt going up. Glad I did it, but ow....
Would have like to have done that one this year. Instead I had 2min hill repeats on the menu on Saturday. And it started to rain while I was biking towards said hill...
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #4986
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I just got a new chain and cassette put on my bike. On my commute this morning the chain slipped a couple times while I was hammering out of a dead stop. I almost wiped.

Is this something that should go away soon as the chain adjusts? Or should I return it to the shop?
That shouldn't happen on a new chain and cassette.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #4987
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

I'd go back and have them adjust the derailleurs, new stuff should definitely not jump around.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #4988
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Back to the bell discussion, on the pathways I normally just change to the opposite side of the path and pass. No "on your left" or bell. Only time I will bell is if there are two side by side riders, younger kids, or larger groups of walkers.
Typically nothing though. Do you guys bell everyone you pass? Or judgement call like me?

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #4989
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My strava glitched on Saturday morning and showed a similar route where I rode straight across some terrain.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #4990
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, who is the CP user that builds electric bikes? I have a buddy that has a custom chopper he's looking at converting. I have some questions, so if you see this, can you PM please?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #4991
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Back to the bell discussion, on the pathways I normally just change to the opposite side of the path and pass. No "on your left" or bell. Only time I will bell is if there are two side by side riders, younger kids, or larger groups of walkers.
Typically nothing though. Do you guys bell everyone you pass? Or judgement call like me?
Everyone. Too many times I've seen pedestrians lurch across the path without warning, or do an abrupt u-turn. Going around the reservoir on a busy afternoon I'll ring by bell 30-40 times. Why not? It doesn't cost anything.

I also ring my bell every time I approach a blind corner. Two years ago a cyclist came down the path by the Rockyview onto the street in Eagle Ridge without slowing or ringing her bell, and I had to hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting her. Went over my bars and ended up in the hospital.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #4992
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Bell. Every time. Multiple times if the person doesn't sort of acknowledge it.

This morning an older lady had headphones in and even though I rang a couple times and her dogs turned to look at me, she still crapped her pants when I passed and was mad at me...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #4993
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I wonder about are these pet owners who use those long leashes while walking their dog on the pathway. I sometimes wonder if they could see the danger to their dog if the dog were to cut in front of a cyclist at the last second.

To me the longer the leash, the bigger the danger.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #4994
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
One thing that I wonder about are these pet owners who use those long leashes while walking their dog on the pathway. I sometimes wonder if they could see the danger to their dog if the dog were to cut in front of a cyclist at the last second.

To me the longer the leash, the bigger the danger.
Those scare me

I usually go off path and try to get the length of the leash around the dog but most people are good a reeling in if you ding in advance
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #4995
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bell. Every time. Multiple times if the person doesn't sort of acknowledge it.

This morning an older lady had headphones in and even though I rang a couple times and her dogs turned to look at me, she still crapped her pants when I passed and was mad at me...
The ones with headphones who get mad... who cares? Their fault for tuning out the world.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #4996
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me if you are on the pathway system with headphones on it tells me that you don't care much and the onus is on that person to understand they are not the only pathway user.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #4997
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

headphone users get a ding, then a yell, after that I'm buzzing your tower.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #4998
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Here's an awesome office environment for cyclists. It might be difficult to get any actual work done but the commute/storage/cleanup would be great.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...all_mob_tw_top
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #4999
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you guys have issues with people wearing headphones? You can't go around people with headphones for some reason?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #5000
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No problem with headphones, it's the people who don't stay to the right, wander unpredictably, or freak out when you scare them passing for some reason. I run with headphones all the time, but make sure I am to the right, and look carefully before turning.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread