Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #1181
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
Friends,
I recently purchased a 70" Samsung 4K TV. It's generally quite excellent, but I've noticed that while watching hockey (or likely anything with a primarily white background), there seems to be what I'll describe as 'cloudy' spots or lines. I noticed it mostly if I'm watching from say, a 45 degree angle. Although I do notice it even when I'm sitting directly in front of it, it's just not as noticeable.

Any idea what's going on here? Easy settings fix?
What is the model? It sounds like poor grey uniformity.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #1182
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
What is the model? It sounds like poor grey uniformity.
It's UN70KU6290FXZC.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #1183
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's UN70KU6290FXZC.

That is the same panel as the KU6300, it typically does have poor grey uniformity, which will be most evident with white backgrounds, and viewed off center. It will plague most TVs in that price point unfortunately.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #1184
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
That is the same panel as the KU6300, it typically does have poor grey uniformity, which will be most evident with white backgrounds, and viewed off center. It will plague most TVs in that price point unfortunately.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
Man, that's depressing that a 2000-3000 price point can't get you a TV that doesn't have a 'dirty screen' effect. I feel like my 55" Panasonic LED didn't have this issue, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I guess I'll play around with the settings, and see if I can at least mask the issue that way.

Thanks for your help!
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #1185
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you are still within your return period, and it is really bugging you, you could exchange it in hopes that the new one isn't as noticeable, or go for a new manufacturer/model. that is an awful lot of money to spend on something that is going to bug the crap out of you every time you try to use it for its intended purpose.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #1186
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Used my bonus to upgrade into the 4K world.

TV - 65" Panasonic TC-65DX800 http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer...c-65dx800.html

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR656 http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.p...class=Receiver

Game console - PS4 Pro https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/ps4-pro/

Added bonus, was now able to move my Panasonic VT-65 and original PS4 into our bedroom.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #1187
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Used my bonus to upgrade into the 4K world.

TV - 65" Panasonic TC-65DX800 http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer...c-65dx800.html

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR656 http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.p...class=Receiver

Game console - PS4 Pro https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/ps4-pro/

Added bonus, was now able to move my Panasonic VT-65 and original PS4 into our bedroom.
One of my favorite tv's - NICE!!
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #1188
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

cupofjoe, as the resident expert around these parts what is your take on upgrading plasma to OLED?

Just curious if you have found OLED to in fact look better than the last gen Panasonics? I have the last VT produced and am super happy with it, minus the fan noise. Is OLED at the point yet to replace or should I be holding off?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #1189
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
cupofjoe, as the resident expert around these parts what is your take on upgrading plasma to OLED?

Just curious if you have found OLED to in fact look better than the last gen Panasonics? I have the last VT produced and am super happy with it, minus the fan noise. Is OLED at the point yet to replace or should I be holding off?
The VT's are awesome!!! I had client who moved into a new place a couple years ago and the previous owner had left two tv's, one of them of was a VT. He asked me if he should change them out. I told him there was nothing better on the market at the time and he was lucky the old homeowner didn't take it with him.

Now, the 2016 LG's OLEDs (B,C,E,G series) were essentially the same performance with different feature sets and cosmetics. They had an amazing picture especially with UHD Bluray (HDR).

The new 2017's are coming April/May and according to their press release 25% brighter with a couple new features (which may or may not be useful). Presumably, the tv's will have a same performance but different feature sets / cosmetics across the different models.

My advice is if you are primarily using to watch cable / Netflix, it will be better but maybe not completely worth a $$ to upgrade (this is very subjective to the individual, most people should wait). However, if you are thinking of upgrading to 4k/HDR (Amazon Prime, and particularly UHD Bluray) it will be a significant upgrade and the difference might well be worth it.

For anyone looking to buy an OLED, wait for the new models, they end in 7 ie B7, E7 etc. Last year's models are the 6's.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-16-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #1190
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright CP, it's been 7-8 years since I last bought a TV and haven't really paid much attention to the market. But our old plasma is getting some lines of flickering, and we're thinking it's time for an upgrade.

A few points:
- Looking at 50" range, max budget $1,500
- Primarily watch Netflix/blu ray (We don't have nor want cable)
- Very occasional gaming. (Still have an xbox 360, no desire to upgrade)
- Zero interest in 3D

So a few questions I have:
- Where's the best place to buy TV's these days? (Best Buy, Visions, elsewhere?)
- What's the deal with 4K? I'm hearing conflicting things on if it's needed. Lack of content/bandwidth seems like it's not ready for prime time yet
- Best brands/brands to avoid? (We've had good experience with Samsung sets over the years)
- Recommended screen type, I'm thinking LED, but open to suggestions
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #1191
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Alright CP, it's been 7-8 years since I last bought a TV and haven't really paid much attention to the market. But our old plasma is getting some lines of flickering, and we're thinking it's time for an upgrade.

A few points:
- Zero interest in 3D

- Where's the best place to buy TV's these days? (Best Buy, Visions, elsewhere?)
- What's the deal with 4K? I'm hearing conflicting things on if it's needed. Lack of content/bandwidth seems like it's not ready for prime time yet
- Best brands/brands to avoid? (We've had good experience with Samsung sets over the years)
I've been using the rtings.com website for my recent research.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-s...9-50-inch/best

Seems to show the same thing that my search is showing me (I'm looking for 65" or so). Samsung has best picture most of the time, but the Vizio is cheaper and almost as good.

Look at these ones:

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

As for the best place to buy, I'm still trying to figure that out. I do know that Costco carries a lot of the Vizios, and they offer unparalleled service and returns.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #1192
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
The VT's are awesome!!! I had client who moved into a new place a couple years ago and the previous owner had left two tv's, one of them of was a VT. He asked me if he should change them out. I told him there was nothing better on the market at the time and he was lucky the old homeowner didn't take it with him.
I never understand people who don't value these types of electronics. However, I can relate. When I bought my house in 2009 the guy selling left an unused Kuro Pro in the basement. He just wired up the home theater with that TV for showings at the house, and after we took possession he just left it sitting there.

It was worth as much as the appliances in the kitchen. Loved the Kuro, but stepped up to the VT before they were discontinued. Love it and probably will take your advice and wait a few more years to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #1193
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I've been using the rtings.com website for my recent research.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-s...9-50-inch/best

Seems to show the same thing that my search is showing me (I'm looking for 65" or so). Samsung has best picture most of the time, but the Vizio is cheaper and almost as good.

Look at these ones:

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

As for the best place to buy, I'm still trying to figure that out. I do know that Costco carries a lot of the Vizios, and they offer unparalleled service and returns.
Good advice! Good site, just wished they had access to more Panasonics.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #1194
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I never understand people who don't value these types of electronics. However, I can relate. When I bought my house in 2009 the guy selling left an unused Kuro Pro in the basement. He just wired up the home theater with that TV for showings at the house, and after we took possession he just left it sitting there.

It was worth as much as the appliances in the kitchen. Loved the Kuro, but stepped up to the VT before they were discontinued. Love it and probably will take your advice and wait a few more years to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice!
No problem, anytime for the advice.

BTW, nice house-warming present...

It is amazing what makes some people go 'gah' and others go 'meh'.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #1195
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few points:
- Zero interest in 3D

How much do you actually pay attention to screen detail? If you're meh about that, $1500 probably buys you 2 TVs that will meet your needs and still leave you money left over for other stuff. I've seen 55" LED models going for dirt cheap. Everyone wants the latest and greatest 4K. That's fine, but if you don't need it, you'll have amazing options.

As for places to acquire, other than the ones you've mentioned, Costco isn't a bad option for purchases. London Drugs too. Good warranties.

https://www.costco.ca/televisions.ht...evisions_55-58

$1500 brings you into the ball park for a curved 4K TV at 55"
$900-$1100 for 4K
$1000 for a curved LED
$600 for a basic 55" Vizio LED TV

I personally don't think highly of the integrated smart TV features. They're inferior to the ones found in other devices IMO. Personally, if given the option, I'd take the money savings and buy an Apple TV or a Roku.

I honestly haven't heard of any specific brand of TV that fails more often than others in a while. It seems like all brands have a reasonably low failure rate. If you have a failure in less than 5 years, you're usually the guy with funky luck. Go buy a lottery ticket. I've heard of people complain, sure. But exceptionally few failure anecdotes.

I would suggest you shop on the following basis if you're set on a 55" TV:

- Budget vs Value
- 4K Yes/No
- Curved Yes/No

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-16-2017 at 02:35 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #1196
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

- Where's the best place to buy TV's these days? (Best Buy, Visions, elsewhere?) Costco
- What's the deal with 4K? I'm hearing conflicting things on if it's needed. Lack of content/bandwidth seems like it's not ready for prime time yet. It is more about the HDR (High Dynamic Range) than 4k. Best source is UHD Bluray followed a distance by Netflix 4k (some titles have hdr) and Amazon Prime. NVidia Shield is a good media player to deliver this. 4k tv's are getting down in price. If HDR is important to you, use rtings site to find a particular model.

- Best brands/brands to avoid? (We've had good experience with Samsung sets over the years) Crapshoot, buy an extended warranty, tv's are not particularily reliable these days
- Recommended screen type, I'm thinking LED, but open to suggestions[/QUOTE] LED is much more economical than OLED, plasma are no longer manufactured.

In regard to curved tv's, IMO curved = gimmick, not a big fan. They are already starting to leave the market and I wouldn't be surprise if they are gone by 2018-19.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #1197
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

I personally don't think highly of the integrated smart TV features. They're inferior to the ones found in other devices IMO. Personally, if given the option, I'd take the money savings and buy an Apple TV or a Roku.
Strongly agree, add NVidia Shield if you want a HDR netflix / amazon prime option.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #1198
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Honestly I feel the same, but from what I've seen buying a "dumb" TV without the integrated software is getting harder & harder, and the trade off seems to be in other features as well (size, connectivity, picture quality) if you don't want the software.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #1199
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I feel the same, but from what I've seen buying a "dumb" TV without the integrated software is getting harder & harder, and the trade off seems to be in other features as well (size, connectivity, picture quality) if you don't want the software.
It's not really a deal breaker item, but I've lost count of the times I've met people who get all excited they have a "Smart TV". It's good to have in a TV all other things equal, but not a feature I'd prefer paying extra for, nor a feature I'd use unless I literally had no other options.

For instance:

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-D55n-E2-...100311473.html

vs

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio--D55-D2-...100280444.html

is a $200 difference and I don't see significant differences other than the Smart feature, though I'm probably missing actual features differences. That price difference is silly. All 4K TVs has the smart function tossed in seemingly for free. It's a concept nearly silly to mention, but if you're looking into the LED range, you might actually find savings in omitting the Smart function. No such luck if you go 4K I believe.

60 vs 120 Hz is a deal breaker for some on TVs. I personally use a 60 Hz 58" LED Samsung TV I acquired from Costco. I think I got it early last year for about $800 all in (GST and enviro). I have no idea why, but the darn thing still shows up around $1k on Bestbuy, the Brick and Walmart website (Anyone know why?). I think similar TVs from Samsung offering 4K were close to 30-50% more at the time in 55".

The TV I have works well enough for games, movies, TV etc. I can tell a slight difference in movement when I go to my parent's place and watch Netflix on their 120Hz TV, but nothing so obscene I'd consider a deal breaker.

With a $1500 budget, I'd bet you could buy a very good 55" LED this year for about $750 and do the same thing next year with a 4K TV. Prices for TVs are very good. I don't know if it's really worth paying extra to "future proof" at this point in time because the prices are dropping like crazy.

Off topic, but if you are intending to purchase a wall mount for the TV, many places are a rip off. I purchased a great TV wall mount for $60 on Amazon. A similar one was running nearly double at Bestbuy ($130).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got. It looks like the price went down.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #1200
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, that's depressing that a 2000-3000 price point can't get you a TV that doesn't have a 'dirty screen' effect. I feel like my 55" Panasonic LED didn't have this issue, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I guess I'll play around with the settings, and see if I can at least mask the issue that way.

Thanks for your help!
Well, it can in a 55 - 65" size (I got my 55" KS8500 for ~$2,200), but you also bought a 70" screen television.

Given that $2,000 - $3,000 budget:
- If you want the biggest possible screen, you aren't getting the best quality.
- If you want the best quality, you aren't getting the biggest possible screen.

It's why I have a 55" KS8500 and not the 65" version in my living room; the curved 65" KS8500 was more than I wanted to spend at the time, and I was more concerned with quality than sheer screen real estate. I could have also opted for the non-curved screen over the curved one, but the curved screen deals with the abundance of natural light in my living room perfectly (my place is a gigantic glass box).

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote