Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #1021
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't the back of most IKEA furniture that thin particle board? About a quarter inch thick?

I did the same thing with a side table used to store all my components once. I basically ripped the back off and left it open air since the back was against the wall. Otherwise, you can get a circular drill bit from Home Depot. They are made to cut holes into doors to attach the door handles. They would neatly cut a hole in the side or front without cracking IMO.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #1022
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Otherwise, you can get a circular drill bit from Home Depot. They are made to cut holes into doors to attach the door handles. They would neatly cut a hole in the side or front without cracking IMO.
Yep, I already have one of those, I was just wondering if particle board is fairly clean to drill through, or if it will create any cracks along the surface.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #1023
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think it'll crack but if you drill straight through it'll probably be really rough on the side the bit comes out, could tear some chunks out of it. Might even tear chunks on the side you're drilling.

I'd use a hole saw with a centring bit in the middle and drill half way from each side so the hole finishes in the middle. You could also put tape where the bit is going to cut into the wood to try and keep the finish, or run the bit in reverse to start each side to score the wood. EDIT: And make sure to clean out the bit as needed that particle board might be more glue than wood and it could get gummed up.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #1024
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'd use a hole saw with a centring bit in the middle and drill half way from each side so the hole finishes in the middle.
This. I've done this many a time with ikea furniture. My home theater cabinet is actually all (slightly modified) ikea stuff.

Table, another thing to look at is one of these http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093640.html

Basically a computer fan that I mounted into the side of the ikea cabinet. They sell thermocouples and power supplies as well so it just plugs into a 120v outlet and turns on/off automatically. I have a fan in the side where my amp is and the side where my PS is to keep them cool with the doors on. Works well.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #1025
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Building a fan into it is a great idea, thanks.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #1026
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah if it's totally enclosed just a hole might not be sufficient cooling. Check to see if the stuff has temperature monitoring and monitor the temps for a while too to make sure they aren't too high.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #1027
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone here into HTPC's at all? I'm looking for a nice compact mouse/keyboard combo. Logitech has some nice (and expensive) ones, but they're full size keyboards and I'd prefer something a little smaller. Searching Amazon produces a lot of cheap stuff that I'm sure would break in a week, so not really sure where to go now
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #1028
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone here into HTPC's at all? I'm looking for a nice compact mouse/keyboard combo. Logitech has some nice (and expensive) ones, but they're full size keyboards and I'd prefer something a little smaller. Searching Amazon produces a lot of cheap stuff that I'm sure would break in a week, so not really sure where to go now
Like this?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #1029
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Like this?

Ya I looked at that one, though I've never been a fan of trackballs. I'd prefer to find one with a trackpad instead
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #1030
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like this?
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #1031
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you have an old phone there are apps that will let you use it as a track pad and keyboard. There are a bunch of apps out there with some obviously being better than others.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #1032
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Like this?
Close, thanks for that though. I looked up the manufacturer and found one that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for

Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 AM   #1033
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In a moment of full disclosure Kunkstyle is currently owning me at nhl 15. I apologize for lying to the people of this thread but I will end on this note I can beat him at mlb any day!!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #1034
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Thoughts on LG 60" Plasma 60PB5600?

Only one HDMI port, so I'd have to get an HDMI switching reciever. The room I'd be putting it in has no exterior windows.

20% off now at Target = $640

I'd be replacing my 40" Philips LCD (moving that one to a different room). Currently I have 4 HDMI inputs on the PHilips, and I have Shaw Box, BluRay, Apple TV, and Wii U connected to the 4 HDMI ports. My reciever doesn't switch HDMI, so I have seperate audio output from each device to the reciever (some digital, some RCA connector).

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 02-19-2015 at 11:49 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #1035
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

One HDMI is brutal. Do you have to manually click something on these HDMI switches to change the input, or is whatever device you're using detected somehow and switched automatically?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #1036
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
One HDMI is brutal. Do you have to manually click something on these HDMI switches to change the input, or is whatever device you're using detected somehow and switched automatically?
Anything in the lower price ranges has less HDMI inputs that I actually have devices anyway, so I would pretty much require a Reciever that Switches HDMI anyway. And I've been wanting to set up my sytem that way anyway. Unless Iget something with 4+ HDMI ports, I'm probably look for a receiver no matter what.

Something with 2 or 3 HDMI ports is just a little less frustrating if I don't get a reciever right away.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #1037
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home Theater Mega Thread

Quote:
One HDMI is brutal.
Any TV I've had I've only used one HDMI input. I'd much rather go through a receiver.

However in Thneeds case it's a bit different I guess. Personally I'd be picking up a receiver at the same time.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #1038
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Unless you're using the TV's speakers you want to put everything through the receiver anyways so one HDMI input is all you need
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #1039
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I guess the other question is - who will manage the Warranty if I buy a TV from Target?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #1040
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One HDMI is not a big deal, my concern about LG is i have observed over the years that they generally have poor quality control compared to Sony and Samsung. Samsung or Sony will have occasional issues that they get caught on(samsung LCDs had some under-spec capacitors in their LCDs a while ago), in contrast with LG its always a bunch of different things and surprises. There is a reason why they are always cheaper and rank low on consumer reports.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote