Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flyfishing Equipment

As a fly-fisherman I get asked all the time about what equipment people should get to start out and what is good quality rather than junk. A friend and I have been fly-fishing since we were kids, and decided to tackle this head-on by starting a little side business.

So we started up Secret Creek Flyfishing and the link is here www.secretcreekflyfishing.com for you to take a look at. We're not looking to get rich here and we both have "real" jobs, but we just love fly-fishing. Our target here is to supply items that are better quality than what you get at a big box store, but at the same time not costing the premium prices from the boutique shops.

If you have never fly-fished and want to try we have rod/reel combos which would make sense (and I could be persuaded to tie on a leader, tippet and fly so you can fish as soon as you find open water!). Always wanted to try a Spey rod and don't want to spend $750-1000 getting set-up? We have a solution. We have some accessories and things like that as well, with more coming in the near future. If there is something that you really want and don't see it, let me know and we can almost surely get it.

Lastly, if you're in Calgary or close, we can arrange local pick-up and if you order from the site you should use code 'calgarypuck' for this so that you don't pay shipping.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome.

I'm very new to fly fishing, caught a fish on my first cast and haven't ever got a bite since. Need to get trained up, so if you offer a clinic or have recommendations for that i'd love to hear as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What advice could you give someone that caught a fish on his first cast though?! I don't know if clinics are in our future, but maybe. I would say that I would go fishing with you and maybe give you some pointers or help with fly selection and things like that? That said we've talked about rod building courses as my business partner in this has built a lot of rods and run courses in the past. That's probably a year away though.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #4
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Have you thought about putting together full kits? Especially for beginners, it is much easier to be able to purchase the rod and reel with line attached and a few starter flies? Looks good though!

*Correction.. You clearly do this already. My bad (didn't look closely at the individual rod links)

Last edited by pgsieve; 03-27-2016 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Looked further.
pgsieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was going to try my hand at flyfishing for pike this year in our local lakes, but I would hate to bust my little mountain rod and will be in the market for a new setup. Never tried a spey rod before. Will for sure purchase from you when the time comes and will steer folks your way if possible.

Good luck to you and your business partner!
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Have you thought about putting together full kits? Especially for beginners, it is much easier to be able to purchase the rod and reel with line attached and a few starter flies? Looks good though!

*Correction.. You clearly do this already. My bad (didn't look closely at the individual rod links)
Well if you are a CPer and have nothing to start I could easily tie on a leader and tippet and a fly to get you going. We don't have flies, kind of by design at this point because we have other friends who do that exclusively. Maybe down the road we could set that kind of thing up though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that I would bump this as we are running a bit of a promotion for Fathers Day. Basically we have everything put together (rod, reel, line, leader and tippet) so all you need are a few flies and license. Maybe dad or your husband (or you...its not like you have to prove that you're a father for this) has always wanted to try fly-fishing and has no idea where to start. We take the guessing out and have you all set up!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any end of season deals for complete set ups?

Also, what about kid sized fly fishing gear?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're a little ahead of your time! We will have an end of season sale in general, likely in the next week. We'll have some pretty good deals and you still have about 5 weeks to get out and do some fall fishing. Spawning Brookies are particularly beautiful and you can catch those throughout October to try out the new gear!

Kids rods are a tougher issue. We don't really have anything and I don't know if anything specifically for kids exists. Mine just use my rods and I stick to them using the smaller rods. So for example I have a 3wt which is only 7.5 feet long and they can handle that. My friend also has that same set-up for his little boy.

You can land big fish on a light rod, it just takes a little work. But when the kids catch something that is 8-10" the rod bows and its pretty awesome for them!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, you let me know when the super sale is on then, and you can take us out with you to show us how its done.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deal! (We better not get skunked)
Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money back if we do.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the rods fault! ™
Old 10-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little behind schedule (good help is so hard to find!), but we cut our prices by about 20% on basically everything. https://secretcreekflyfishing.com/bl...e-our-prices-3
Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any kid friendly kits?

And if I'm getting into this as well, is that Whipser kit the one to get?
Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, well first here is how things are for kids. They're really aren't specific kits for them like you might see with spin fishing kits. What a lot of companies are doing is going with lighter weights for kids and starting them out that way. So in fly fishing the rod/line is graded by weight which basically run from 1-9. A one weight is super light and a nine is really heavy. Its partly the weight of the rod itself, but applies to the lines as well. So you generally fish a 5 weight line with a 5 weight rod. Sometimes as a beginner people fish a weight higher than the rod, just because you get a little more control and its a little easier.

So with kids the issue is that you want a light enough rod that kids can handle it and enjoy themselves, but not so light that they will struggle to land decent sized fish. If they latch into 16" trout on a 1 weight that might just end in disappointment! So the lightest we carry is a 3 weight and while its light enough for kids (their arms won't get tired), you can still bring in a decent sized fish and you can fish in the smaller streams around Southern Alberta just fine. These are 8'6" rods, and in all honesty my kids fish with these and catch fish. I wouldn't say they're good at casting or anything, but they can handle them. They use bigger rods and can handle them as well. So I don't know if that really helps on the kids front, but hopefully that gives you the lay of the land to some extent?

As far as you and the Whisper, I could take you out with a "demo" and you can give it a shot. I can really show you each and you can have a look at the differences and what you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #17
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfect, thanks Slava.

I will take you up on the offer of a demo for sure, name the time and place.

That's what I was expecting for a kid setup, something lighter and shorter. We can chat more about which one works best for them when we meet up.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be honest: your rod doesn't catch fish for you (although the video here is one case where the guys rod does....maybe NSFW)

https://secretcreekflyfishing.com/bl...e-where-it-did
Old 12-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Christmas is a week away, and you might still be searching for that perfect gift for an angler or would-be angler? We've got you covered. We can get it to you in time, and we have everything from stocking stuffers to rods and reels to make sure that your present is the catch of the day! www.secretcreekflyfishing.com
Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #20
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a cheesy sakesman.
But ya go to Slava for all your fly fishing needs.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post: