Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #4441
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I love this thread. I hate the flames as much as you guys hate us. Its a great rivalry.

No. It is impossible for anyone to hate anything as much as Flames fans hate the hilariously overrated Oilers and their entitled fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #4442
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. It is impossible for anyone to hate anything as much as Flames fans hate the hilariously overrated Oilers and their entitled fan base.
You really take this too seriously. Are you ok?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #4443
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You really take this too seriously. Are you ok?

Seriously?

Lighten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #4444
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Seriously?

Lighten up.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Lighten up
Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #4445
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I honestly don't know what makes the Flames so hate-able, when compared to the gong show up north.

Unless you're not a fan of Burke and Tkachuk, I suppose. Otherwise there's a decent amount of class all around. And the media runs their mouths a fraction that Edmonton's does. The guys on 960 rarely throw out things like stanley cup contention when it comes to the team, usually "bubble team" gets said a lot, with emphasis on the rebuild process and patience. If anything it's frustrating how little they allow themselves to get excited about the team. Loubo's being an exception. And they would never compare the team to the ones from the 80s.

Brad Tree's an intelligent guy that you'll never catch saying something ridiculous. Conroy is just a teddy bear human. Tbf there's no comparison when it comes to things that will rub a fan of hockey the wrong way when looking at the two clubs.

I guess when you're picked on so much for years the fanbase is easy to hate, but the Oilers deserve every bit of teasing they get and their smug attitudes this year over what's been a decent, but not *great* season by any means just confirms that.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #4446
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 03-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #4447
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I honestly don't know what makes the Flames so hate-able, when compared to the gong show up north.

Unless you're not a fan of Burke and Tkachuk, I suppose. Otherwise there's a decent amount of class all around. And the media runs their mouths a fraction that Edmonton's does. The guys on 960 rarely throw out things like stanley cup contention when it comes to the team, usually "bubble team" gets said a lot, with emphasis on the rebuild process and patience. If anything it's frustrating how little they allow themselves to get excited about the team. Loubo's being an exception. And they would never compare the team to the ones from the 80s.

Brad Tree's an intelligent guy that you'll never catch saying something ridiculous. Conroy is just a teddy bear human. Tbf there's no comparison when it comes to things that will rub a fan of hockey the wrong way when looking at the two clubs.

I guess when you're picked on so much for years the fanbase is easy to hate, but the Oilers deserve every bit of teasing they get and their smug attitudes this year over what's been a decent, but not *great* season by any means just confirms that.
Realistically as just a bunch of guys who chase a rubber disc around a sheet of ice, there is no good reason to hate anyone. But here we are, E=NG
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #4448
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I would assume the same over-the-top hype will now follow the Detroit Red Wings rebuild. Whoever they pick at the top of the draft the next few years will be (fair or not) be lauded with comparisons to Yzerman/Datsyuk/Shanny/Lidstrom/Fedorov.

It probably won't be as vocal from media mouthpieces, but I would wager a large part of that is more due to the fact that Detroit is an American market with professional sports teams across the board to focus on. I highly doubt Hischier/Patrick/Vilardi/Dahlin will be under the microscope to the same degree as a Matthew Stafford or Miguel Cabrera.

TL;DR...when you have had as much past success as some franchises (Wings, Oilers, Islanders, Habs) have had, it somewhat jades expectations for the current/future prospects of the club due to the incessant comparisons to past teams and records. It isn't right, but it is what it is.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #4449
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting question. I'd love to hear from Oilers fans what they hate about the Flames.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #4450
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Interesting question. I'd love to hear from Oilers fans what they hate about the Flames.
How they make their young players earn things instead of just giving it to them.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #4451
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I had an answer to this typed up... then deleted it. Long story short. Hated them since 1987 when I was 5. Cats and Dogs thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #4452
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I had an answer to this typed up... then deleted it.
You should try that more often.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #4453
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I had an answer to this typed up... then deleted it. Long story short. Hated them since 1987 when I was 5. Cats and Dogs thing.
That's ok, if anyone wants to know how much you hate the Flames they could just visit HF where you are the biggest Flames hating troll there. Well you have been unsurprisingly quiet lately.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #4454
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Haha, stang's like the best Oiler poster on here, he's hilarious and totally doesn't take anything seriously, you can tell.

Oilersfan was my favorite Oilers fan but then I realized no one likes him, so I didn't want to be the only one.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #4455
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Hey Oilersfan is genuinely a super nice person in real life. The world needs 10,000 more people like him.

But thanks, I think... noone like me either though..
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #4456
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I know he is, I was just ribbing him.

His only flaw is his inability to choose to live anywhere that resembles earth.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #4457
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slipping too far down the page.
E=NG, just ask Gary Roberts.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #4458
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats the best photo of an Oiler I've ever seen.

They should take a team picture of them all just like that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #4459
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Well I was out for dinner on Friday with a buddy I went to university with who's a hardcore Oilers fan. Our whole time of knowing each other, there would always be the constant bickering back and forth on Oilers vs. Flames.

Well this time around, he told me that Flames are playing above their potential and that the Oilers are playing below their potential. I was like dude are you serious? Your D core is nothing compared to ours and your whole team is based on McDavid.

His response was No. I said if McDavid wasn't on your team, are you a playoff team. He say's 100% without a doubt. ...

So to answer your question...It's straight delusion and a lack of self awareness that makes them hate us. lol In their eyes we're the Avalanche who are getting lucky while they're the best team in the NHL and our point totals are very close lol
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #4460
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Well I was out for dinner on Friday with a buddy I went to university with who's a hardcore Oilers fan. Our whole time of knowing each other, there would always be the constant bickering back and forth on Oilers vs. Flames.

Well this time around, he told me that Flames are playing above their potential and that the Oilers are playing below their potential. I was like dude are you serious? Your D core is nothing compared to ours and your whole team is based on McDavid.

His response was No. I said if McDavid wasn't on your team, are you a playoff team. He say's 100% without a doubt. ...
You're friend is clearly off his meds.

I've been chuckling because Draisaitl has been very hot over the last month and good for him, because I figure he's now heading towards the 7 million dollar a year territory. Now before you say that he's comparable to Johnny and Money, the bottom line is that even with their results Johnny and Money really aren't carrying the Flames. However Draisaitl and McDavid can negotiate from a incredible position of strength because those two are carrying that team of dead wood.

Everytime the Oilers media or Hockey Night in Canada blows hot air up their skirts, I'm hearing cash registers.

They don't have much of a window left they have next year and then there are serious decisions that are going to have to be made.

Add to that a team that improves by about 30 points in year without making a shattering change to their team beyond Hall for Larsson has had a huge amount of things go their way, and like the Flames a couple of years ago who plummeted after making the playoffs its unsustainable.

If the rest of their core like RNH and Eberle and others had actually stepped up I'd be impressed, instead I can point to three players, a schedule heavy on playing back to back tired teams and a lack of any bad luck as the primary reason for the Oilers to make a massive jump in points.

Oiler fans should be worried instead of thinking that their rebuild is over and its all gravy from here on in. They don't have the depth, they don't have the prospect depth and their luck at some point will even out.

So to answer your question...It's straight delusion and a lack of self awareness that makes them hate us. lol In their eyes we're the Avalanche who are getting lucky while they're the best team in the NHL and our point totals are very close lol[/QUOTE]

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread