Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #3201
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks maybe like Wolfe Air's Lear 25B? They did Mickey's shoot as well.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #3202
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super Hornets in all their glory doing high speed, low altitude maneuvers. No cheezy Danger Zone background music either, just glorious ambient noise.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 10-16-2014 at 04:50 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #3203
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing. That's the US Navy obviously, for anyone wondering the carrier is the now retired USS Enterprise.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #3204
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well that right there would be the best job ever.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #3205
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

March 1951, NYC was way ahead of YYC with the aircraft overpass:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #3206
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For the guys who already have their PPL...

I've been planning to get mine, for a long time. I've just never gotten around to it. I want to do it soon, just don't have a ton of free time at the moment, not to mention the thousands of dollars required for the flying time.

I know you can do one of those one-hour "intro" flights for less than $100 that counts towards your training. I've never even taken one of those, because I know that as soon as I do, I'll be hooked, and I'll want to start flight training immediately.

So for the guys who have it already (I think we even have a commercial pilot or two on CP?), what kind of commitment does it take? And I mean an overall commitment, including (but not limited to) financial investment and the time required.

- I haven't looked into it in a long time, but I somewhat remember that it can be done at your own pace? Sort of rent the aircraft and instructor hours as you go, rather than all at once. At least in regards to the in-aircraft instruction. The ground school is more all at once at regular intervals?

- Those cheap "intro" flights, are they worth it? Does the instructor let you do anything, or do you just sit there and watch him and look outside?

- Do PPL holders have to re-certify every year, and is there a cost to that? I wouldn't fly very often, but I'd rather go straight for the PPL rather than the RPP, because of the ability to fly with more than one passenger, at night (with a night rating obviously), etc.

- Do any of you actually rent a plane and fly yourself somewhere (within driving distance) on vacation, or strictly just for fun out of YBW? Obviously you can't do that for a long trip because of the rental and parking fees (plus a car rental at your destination), but it would be quicker and more fun than driving!

- What's the best flight school at YBW?

- Any other tips for a 'newbie'?

In hindsight...instead of going into IT, I should have just gotten the PPL at 17, then gone into commercial flying. If only I had a time machine...
Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #3207
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
March 1951, NYC was way ahead of YYC with the aircraft overpass
I love how similar that actually looks to the YYC overpass.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #3208
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
March 1951, NYC was way ahead of YYC with the aircraft overpass:
I can't believe that thing can fly.
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #3209
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
- I haven't looked into it in a long time, but I somewhat remember that it can be done at your own pace? Sort of rent the aircraft and instructor hours as you go, rather than all at once. At least in regards to the in-aircraft instruction. The ground school is more all at once at regular intervals?
You can go at your own pace, but I don't recommend leaving too much time between lessons. You want to form good habits and not have to "re-learn" techniques because too much time elapsed between training flights.

Quote:
- Those cheap "intro" flights, are they worth it? Does the instructor let you do anything, or do you just sit there and watch him and look outside?
You won't get to control the take-off or landing, but you'll get to perform basic maneuvers like turns. IIRC, on my first flight the instructor gave me control shortly after take-off and didn't take it back until we were part-way into our final approach. Of course, if you're about to do anything dangerous like cause a spin or stall, the instructor will take control.

Quote:
- Do PPL holders have to re-certify every year, and is there a cost to that? I wouldn't fly very often, but I'd rather go straight for the PPL rather than the RPP, because of the ability to fly with more than one passenger, at night (with a night rating obviously), etc.
Your license is valid forever, but you need to pass a medical exam every 1-2 years (depending on your age). Different flying clubs also have their own rules about remaining current. Where I used to fly, the rule was you needed one hour of PIC (pilot-in-command) time every month to remain current or else you needed to re-certify with an instructor before they would allow you to rent one of their planes.

Quote:
- Any other tips for a 'newbie'?
Step on the ball.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #3210
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
You won't get to control the take-off or landing, but you'll get to perform basic maneuvers like turns. IIRC, on my first flight the instructor gave me control shortly after take-off and didn't take it back until we were part-way into our final approach.
Thanks, that's good to know. Confirms the fact that if I take one of those flights, I'll be hooked instantly. If I get to take control of the plane mid-air, I'll IMMEDIATELY want to learn how to land it.

I did some digging into it, and everything I've read in the past started to come back to me.

When I do it, I think I'll go for the RPP first. It can be easily upgraded to a PPL, and it'll cost less/take less time to get initially.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #3211
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classified US Space Plane lands after 2 years in orbit.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/top-secr...rnia-1.2058910
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #3212
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. Confirms the fact that if I take one of those flights, I'll be hooked instantly. If I get to take control of the plane mid-air, I'll IMMEDIATELY want to learn how to land it.

I did some digging into it, and everything I've read in the past started to come back to me.

When I do it, I think I'll go for the RPP first. It can be easily upgraded to a PPL, and it'll cost less/take less time to get initially.
You will pay far more completing a RPP and then upgrading to a PPL instead of doing the PPL from the onset. The RPP is a waste of time IMO. RPP = Daytime VFR only, 1 passenger only, no entry to the U.S. along with other caveats. I know of zero pilot's who hold or have held an RPP.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #3213
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome to YYC Cathay Pacific Cargo!

Cathay Pacific Cargo 747-867F (B-LJB)
by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #3214
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boeing 707: The aircraft that changed the way we fly

Quote:
Whenever Frank Sinatra sang “Come fly with me, let’s fly, let’s fly away,” the image of a Boeing 707, all etched-white vapour trails jetting across some deep blue transcontinental stratosphere, could never be far from mind. This song was from Sinatra’s album of the same name. It was released in January 1958, a month after the epochal, swept-wing jet airliner made its maiden flight. Before the year was out, the sleek 707 was in service with Pan-Am. It was to change the way we fly and see the world.
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...ged-air-travel
Old 10-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #3215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video of Cathay Pacific Cargo departing Saturday afternoon. Fun fact, one of the pilots operating this flight lives here in Calgary, Roger Millions informed me of this on twitter when I put one of my pics up on there, he's neighbours with the guy and his family.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #3216
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, that second pic is beautiful Bigtime!

I imagine Cathay could use it for advertising material haha.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #3217
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Neil Zeller, a photographer we hire on a regular basis, took some awesome shots on behalf of the YYC Airport...

Here's a few photos on Twitter he took.

More from him...
https://twitter.com/Neil_Zee
Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #3218
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone want to land a Cessna 172.... at O'Hare?!?

The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #3219
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still look at a Cessna 172 cockpit with all that glass and do a double take every time.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #3220
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was awesome!

They also uploaded a version sans-cheesy music.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters