Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tell me about snowblowers

I think I am going to buy one this year. No, I am not just lazy, but I have a terrible back and shovelling has become an activity that is really difficult at this point (well not yet, but when the snow flies it will be!)

So what's the deal? Gas or electric? Single stage or dual stage? I really don't know much about these aside from what I've seen on the net. Looking for some advice so that I can determine what to spend and things like that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I brought this up in the home improvement thread - but perhaps a good topic for a new thread since someone else is asking.

I've got a leaf blower that's very strong. However I find these are mostly good for sidewalks or areas that don't require more than one line.

I've also wondered about a sweeper vs. a snow blower. Watching the sweepers do parking lots/sidewalks/drives they seem like sometimes they do a better job of removing tread down areas from walkers. I'm on a corner lot with a wide driveway and a fair amount of sidewalk.

Slava what is your budget? I'm hoping for sub $500. But want something that isn't junk. Also where do you want to store it? I'm hoping for something I can keep outdoors around back, maybe with a tarp over. But don't know if that's realistic.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think anything electric with a cord, would be a pain.......to me the big pita with as now blower is storage.......

Otherwise not much to add
Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Start with single stage versus two stage. The single has a rubber auger that gathers the snow and throws it about 8-10 feet. A two stage has two augers and the augers are metal. The first auger gathers the snow and sends it to the second auger that then throws the snow about 15 feet. The single stage auger gets right down to the ground and leaves nothing behind - the two stage leaves a thin layer of snow behind. Gas is more powerful and you are not limited to either then length of your extension cord or the battery life. There is, however, far more maintenance with gas than with electric/cordless. ALWAYS use premium gas. Change the gas every month (if we don't have snow ) and empty it of gas during the summer. Lowe's (yes, I work there) carries a new range built by Briggs and Stratton and, my preference, the Cub Cadet range. All of the gas powered do have electric start. Definitely look at Lowe's extended protection plan - it covers normal wear and tear unlike the warranty that comes with the thrower that only covers manufacturers' defects.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I brought this up in the home improvement thread - but perhaps a good topic for a new thread since someone else is asking.

I've got a leaf blower that's very strong. However I find these are mostly good for sidewalks or areas that don't require more than one line.

I've also wondered about a sweeper vs. a snow blower. Watching the sweepers do parking lots/sidewalks/drives they seem like sometimes they do a better job of removing tread down areas from walkers. I'm on a corner lot with a wide driveway and a fair amount of sidewalk.

Slava what is your budget? I'm hoping for sub $500. But want something that isn't junk. Also where do you want to store it? I'm hoping for something I can keep outdoors around back, maybe with a tarp over. But don't know if that's realistic.
I don't know what to think for a budget. I would say sub $500, but I don't want to be cheap! I figure it will be stored in the garage in the winter and shed in the summer. I don't think I would keep it outside, but I guess you can buy covers.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Start with single stage versus two stage. The single has a rubber auger that gathers the snow and throws it about 8-10 feet. A two stage has two augers and the augers are metal. The first auger gathers the snow and sends it to the second auger that then throws the snow about 15 feet. The single stage auger gets right down to the ground and leaves nothing behind - the two stage leaves a thin layer of snow behind. Gas is more powerful and you are not limited to either then length of your extension cord or the battery life. There is, however, far more maintenance with gas than with electric/cordless. ALWAYS use premium gas. Change the gas every month (if we don't have snow ) and empty it of gas during the summer. Lowe's (yes, I work there) carries a new range built by Briggs and Stratton and, my preference, the Cub Cadet range. All of the gas powered do have electric start. Definitely look at Lowe's extended protection plan - it covers normal wear and tear unlike the warranty that comes with the thrower that only covers manufacturers' defects.
For the single stage then, do you have to worry about the rubber or plastic wearing down or wearing out? And how are they with the heavy, wet snow? I know we don't get a lot of that, but that's a pretty big deal!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's your single stage choices from Lowe's
http://www.lowes.ca/outdoor/outdoor-...?sort=priceLow

Interesting that all the two stage ones have decent looking tires whereas all the singles have tires that look like they'd slip on a bit of ice.

How's that Canadiana 750 series at $399 look?

Any recommendations on going used?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

and from the home improvement thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I know several people who use the blowers, both electric and gas. I find it to be a real noise pollution and nuisance. For whatever reason, in the winter, the sound is muffled and is much higher pitched and really annoying at 8 am.

Anyways, Stihl makes a sweeper which is quite effective and can be transformed into a trimmer and a tree trimmer. You need to get at though before it's compacted.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Home Depot seems to start at $489 for a Toro

Rona starts at $429 for a Yard Machine.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to get a big ass blower this fall, since we bought an acreage, and I've got a big circle driveway that I need to keep under control. I do worry about maintenance, because I know nothing about engines, and anytime anything small doesn't work I'd probably have to bring it in for service.

I'm not sure a ride on mower with a blower attachment is the way to go, because I don't think I have enough grass to warrant a ride on mower. I've got 4 acres, but 3 of it is bush.

Something like a blower, though, I don't mind paying a premium, as long as I get something that's high quality. Any suggestions?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
For the single stage then, do you have to worry about the rubber or plastic wearing down or wearing out? And how are they with the heavy, wet snow? I know we don't get a lot of that, but that's a pretty big deal!
That's where the extended warranty comes in. So for either 3 or 4 years you are covered if the auger wears out or you damage it. And, yes, the single stage is not as effective for heavy wet snow.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Here's your single stage choices from Lowe's
http://www.lowes.ca/outdoor/outdoor-...?sort=priceLow

Interesting that all the two stage ones have decent looking tires whereas all the singles have tires that look like they'd slip on a bit of ice.

How's that Canadiana 750 series at $399 look?

Any recommendations on going used?
The Canadiana's are all clearance items. My store on 130th and 52nd in the SE has some refurbished on sale at the moment. There are no new in box clearance ones available, I believe.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just asking, how do snow blowers work on driveways with a fairly significant declines in height (corner of the driveway is over 6 feet below the the opposite corner).
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Canadiana's are all clearance items. My store on 130th and 52nd in the SE has some refurbished on sale at the moment. There are no new in box clearance ones available, I believe.
My store?
How much does a refurb cost?
Old 10-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I need to get a big ass blower this fall, since we bought an acreage, and I've got a big circle driveway that I need to keep under control. I do worry about maintenance, because I know nothing about engines, and anytime anything small doesn't work I'd probably have to bring it in for service.

I'm not sure a ride on mower with a blower attachment is the way to go, because I don't think I have enough grass to warrant a ride on mower. I've got 4 acres, but 3 of it is bush.

Something like a blower, though, I don't mind paying a premium, as long as I get something that's high quality. Any suggestions?
How long/wide is your driveway? you may be better with an acreage to move into a small tractor with a pto blower.
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The main thing to remeber is that alot of the big box stores you are on your own as far as warranty repairs go, If you the unit is a returnable thing then that can be done at the store if it meets the requirements. For warranty repairs you will have to seek out your local service center, if you did not buy the unit from the dealer sometimes you will not be top priority as they are servicing their own customers. (I know of a larger calgary dealer refusing all warranty work for units bought elsewhere) as warranty is normally a loss for the dealer.

When buying from a dealer they are normally the service center and while the price depending may be more or possibly less you are dealing directly with the business so if you have issues with your unit they will normally go further to make sure you are satisfied.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=102408

Last edited by MrSector9; 10-18-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Just asking, how do snow blowers work on driveways with a fairly significant declines in height (corner of the driveway is over 6 feet below the the opposite corner).

They will work fine however you will want to get a blower that is driven at the wheels/tracks. If you go wheels depending on the incline you may want to get tire chains for it to climb the incline while blowing heavy snow, It may not be necessary for you (or the amount of snow/wetness of snow) but it is an aditional cost that you may need.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSector9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
That's where the extended warranty comes in. So for either 3 or 4 years you are covered if the auger wears out or you damage it. And, yes, the single stage is not as effective for heavy wet snow.
This is not necessarily true, Also be sure to have this in writing when you buy it as the auger is a wear item and most manufacturers will not replace this at no cost to the customer.

If you have an extended service plan then it may be covered depending on where it was purchased this is why it is important to have it in writing an understand exactly what it says, this is what the Sears service plan used to do however they stopped covering them 5 years ago. Seems Lowes still cover that so that is a good thing.

Places will just replace them to keep customers happy but this is not a warranty/extended warranty repair.

This is just incase people shop elsewhere they need to make sure they have all the proper documentation and information because alot of employees at a big box store are not adequatly trained in warranty procedures and will "tell the customer what they want to hear" or to try to sell them extended warranty which is completely different from an extended service plan.

Last edited by MrSector9; 10-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Same scenario

I am pretty much the same scenario. Corner lot and what seems endless sidewalk and front driveway and some to clear in the back too. I have thought about snow mblower but a lot of times there is hardly enough snow.
My thoughts have been to spend some money on a good Stihl backpack blower or see if I can find a decent shape used brush.
Budget I was hoping is 500-1000 or so. I am getting to old and the back likes all the snow even less so spending money on a decent machine is not a problem. Just haven't been able to make a decision so have gone without. This year I am going to go one way or the other.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I will _never_ give up my 1972 Ariens.

Ever.

$175 10 years ago.

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post: