Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #41
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Prentice is running in Calgary Foothills, and Mike Ellis (police Sgt. who lost the last nomination to Hughes) in Calgary West.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought CBC was going to have a live stream. I've been waiting on their website but there is no video.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #43
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
My guess is that they've been prepared for 4 all along. I heard that Ken would be stepping down during the leadership campaign, but maybe Webber was an uncertainty though.
Webber had already left the caucus, and if he didn't return with the others when Redford was clipped, the party would surely have begun recruiting replacement candidates long before now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #44
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken Hughes worked his butt off to win that nomination in 2012, so thats quite a quick turnaround to resign; perhaps he built up some bad blood in his short bid for the party leadership.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #45
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hughes' actions raise my suspicions to be honest.

After he did the party a favour and stepped back from the leadership race one would have expected a plump position for him. Then he said he isn't running again. Then he stepped down right away.

Unless he is getting a new AHS board appointment, i'm in a position waiting for the other shoe to drop with him.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #46
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If WRP doesn't do well in the by elections Danielle Smith could be in trouble as leader of the party. It's time for the WRP to put up or shut up.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #47
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Hughes' actions raise my suspicions to be honest.

After he did the party a favour and stepped back from the leadership race one would have expected a plump position for him. Then he said he isn't running again. Then he stepped down right away.

Unless he is getting a new AHS board appointment, i'm in a position waiting for the other shoe to drop with him.
It kinda makes sense for Hughes to move on if Prentice's calls for renewal make sense. Hughes went from the first guy to proclaim he'd run for the leadership to backing Prentice to announcing he wasn't going to seek another term in 2016 and wasn't given a predominate cabinet position.

There's really not much point of Hughes continuing on for a couple of years for essentially a victory lap
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #48
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If WRP doesn't do well in the by elections Danielle Smith could be in trouble as leader of the party. It's time for the WRP to put up or shut up.
Don't get your expectations too high, Wildrose really only has a chance in 2 of the ridings.

Edmonton Whitemud - Went 60% PC, 16% WR last time.
Mandel is a former popular Mayor, current Health Minister, PC's win this easily. Wildrose win would be a massive upset.

Calgary Foothills - Went 53% PC, 33% WR last time.
If the PC's had a regular candidate running then it might be up for grabs. Prentice will win this one easily. Wildrose win would be a massive upset.

Calgary Elbow - Went 58% PC, 28% WR last time.
Obviously the Premier as a candidate gave the PC's a big win here last time. The Liberal vote looks like it went mostly to Redford, dropping from 39% in the 2008 to just over 5%. Doubt that the Liberal vote is going to go to Dirks, should see them voting for the home team this time.

PC's have only ever lost this riding one time, the LIB's won that by-election, they were the only real alternative party at the time. Dirks is a cabinet minister but will probably not get anywhere near the support of Redford or Klein with his controversial religious views. I think all 3 parties have a base between 25-30% here and could see any of the PC, WR or LIB's winning this riding. Maybe someone who lives there has a feel for how this will shake out.

Calgary West - Went 50% PC, 37% WR last time.
Don't know anything about the candidates but this one appears to be the best chance for a Wildrose win.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #49
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this without coming off as a misogynist, so feel free to let me know if its onside. I just keep seeing things on twitter about the number of women candidates, MLAs etc. and I find it a bit odd. If the argument is that were all equal, then does it really matter if the majority of the candidates are male? Its like "we're all equal, so in reference to that we need equal demographics to prove it." Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #50
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this without coming off as a misogynist, so feel free to let me know if its onside. I just keep seeing things on twitter about the number of women candidates, MLAs etc. and I find it a bit odd. If the argument is that were all equal, then does it really matter if the majority of the candidates are male? Its like "we're all equal, so in reference to that we need equal demographics to prove it." Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.
It shouldn't matter. However, when the demographics of people running don't match the demographics of the population you should at least question why - are there barriers to women running for office or reasons why they aren't running?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #51
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To me it doesn't matter what sort of breakdown we have among men/women, ethnic groups, homo/hetero, etc as long as the people in charge are accountable and capable of doing the job.

Earlier this year we had 5 provinces concurrently being represented by women.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #52
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Wildrose enlists former police officer to take on Prentice in byelection battle

Quote:
The Wildrose Party has enlisted a former Calgary police officer to take on Premier Jim Prentice.

At a campaign kickoff in Edgemont, Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith unveiled Kathy Macdonald as her party’s candidate in the riding of Calgary-Foothills, one of four byelections to be held on Oct. 27.

Prentice, who was sworn in as premier on Sept. 15, announced Monday he would run in Calgary-Foothills but Macdonald said the new Tory leader can’t erase the controversies of the Progressive Conservative government.

“The PCs have been arrogant and out-of-touch,” said Macdonald.

“I’m sorry, but the last two weeks of good news announcements by the new premier do not make up for the last several years of government entitlement and mismanagement.”

Macdonald retired last year after 25 years on the Calgary Police Service, where she specialized in cybercrime prevention and Internet safety.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/po...561/story.html
Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #53
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

School Board Trustee Sheila Taylor is now the nominee in Calgary West.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/01...r-calgary-west

Quote:
The announcement was made Wednesday in Battalion Park.

Taylor, the trustee for wards 11 and 13, will be up against former Calgary cop Mike Ellis in a riding the PCs have won 11 out of 12 general sections since the party's dynastic beginnings in 1967.
This spices up the Calgary-West riding and given Taylor's stronger presence probably makes Calgary-West less safe than it was a few days ago. I'd say Calgary-West is now a toss up between the PCs and WRP. It's an interesting dynamic as I'm sure the by-election, especially in Calgary will now focus on Education with Dirks and Taylor now running into of the three ridings.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #54
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
School Board Trustee Sheila Taylor is now the nominee in Calgary West.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/01...r-calgary-west
I actually think it may be a mistake to run a trustee who currently represents an area across town in this riding.

we will see.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a good pick up for the Wildrose. I would like to see at least spotlight on education, so that's definitely good. I do think it's wrong that she didn't resign her seat on the board to run though.

Let me also be the first to say that she basically accomplished nothing as a trustee. She's a bigger name than Ellis and not many people follow the CBE, so maybe that just doesn't matter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #56
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Let me also be the first to say that she basically accomplished nothing as a trustee. She's a bigger name than Ellis and not many people follow the CBE, so maybe that just doesn't matter.
Her biggest accomplishment maybe that she wasn't present on this gong show of a phone conversation a few months ago. (I'm joking, but this phone conversation is probably one of the only things I'm familiar with the current CBE)

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/963...call-to-metro/
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Her biggest accomplishment maybe that she wasn't present on this gong show of a phone conversation a few months ago. (I'm joking, but this phone conversation is probably one of the only things I'm familiar with the current CBE)

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/963...call-to-metro/
I so wish I had anonymity right now. There are a few stories I would love to tell. Maybe they're only of interest to me, and maybe I am too jaded and cynical. Oh well.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Jim Prentice defends golden severance packages for outgoing MLAs

Quote:
Taxpayers shouldn’t begrudge former premier Dave Hancock’s $714,000 severance package, his successor Jim Prentice said Wednesday.

Hancock, who’ll step down after 17 years as MLA following the Oct. 27 byelection to fill his Edmonton-Whitemud seat, is eligible for the transitional allowance.
Quote:
Prentice said he has no problems with Hancock receiving that allowance, saying he served “honourably.

“He dedicated essentially his adult life to the people of Alberta,

“He performed those responsibilities, I think everyone would agree, with distinction,” said the premier.

He said under rules that have undergone changes, Hancock is retroactively eligible for the sum.

“Mr. Hancock served under at least three different regimes... under rules that were approved,” said Prentice.

“This was done several years ago before I entered provincial politics.”
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/10/01...-outgoing-mlas
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #59
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just realized yesterday that we're up for a by-election in Calgary West. I'm not looking forward to the robocalls over the next few weeks.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #60
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't find a non-alberta party link from the Calgary Leadership Forum, but if anyone is interested there is an all candidates forum for Calgary-Elbow tonight.

http://www.albertaparty.ca/calgary_l...didates_debate

Should be an interesting debate tonight. I have a feeling this will be an important event for Dirk's campaign and I think it's going to be driven on Dirk's stance on GSA and Bill 44. If Dirks is smart he'd come out and say he's all for GSAs and squash this uncertainty.