Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What if you paved for basketball or street hockey reasons? Allergic to grass?
Still not allowed to park on your "lawn" regardless of material.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #42
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I used to live in Martindale. We moved out back in June.

On our street, and I believe You Need a Thneed lived on my block, there was next to no street parking. We had a parking pad, in the back alley, but it was difficult to use, due to the narrow alley, ruts, etc. We'd use it when we could. But I can tell you, all my neighours, up and down that back alley, always had garbage, mattresses, old tvs, you name it, piled up on their parking pads. Or there were garages being used as "homes."

We lived one of those narrower 2 story homes. Once you parked in front of your home, there was no room behind or in front of you to put a second vehicle.

On several occasions, the neighbours around us would park on their grass. I can't say I blame the people in these areas for paving their lawns. Is it any different than say...making the lawn area maintenance free and putting down gravel? I suppose so. The concrete is ugly, but people are going to think of ways to claim parking, especially when you have multiple families living under one roof.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of points.

Doesn't Calgary prohibit throwing snow from sidewalks on the road? Someone said that. It should be illegal and enforced in these cases.

If Calgary doesn't have a bylaw prohibiting this full-front pavement it should be brought in to stop this kind of thing before others do the same thing. Imagine entire neighbours that look like this. I know it's unlikely but it's possible.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #44
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
No acceptable parking before? Those are two car garages that I see attached so conveniently right to the house...
So 4 spots to park without street parking anything. And yes the concrete jungle is ridiculous as it is now.
My favourite part is the DB way that white car is parked in the "new driveway" there. Pretty sure the front end is sticking out over his neighbour's lawn, and the rear is gonna make it difficult for someone to get out of their car if they park on the (original) left side of the driveway. How much extra room for parking have you even created if you're just gonna park like that?

Reminds me of Elaine in the extra wide, 2 lane highway. So luxurious..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #45
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

that's so ugly and as already stated against bylaw, also they're taking away public parking, water drainage will be a problem and of course they're going to throw all their snow on to the street. Why do people have to be such asses, I feel bad for the neighbours have fun selling your house if I came to look at a place and saw that I would just turn around and leave.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #46
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the metro article:

Quote:
Steiner believes many people in Saddle Ridge, where the lots are particularly wide, are doing it to provide parking for non-conforming secondary suites.
Uhh what? Has it really gotten so bad that having enough room of a utility box between houses is considered particularly wide now?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #47
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So it must be illegal to park at the end of someones driveway correct? How is this enforced? With that in mind, I'm assuming you can park behind one of these expanded driveways, but who would enforce this?
If my neighbors did this I'd probably buy a cheap $50 beater, insure/register it and park it as close to their real driveway as possible blocking in that MF.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #48
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
that's so ugly and as already stated against bylaw, also they're taking away public parking, water drainage will be a problem and of course they're going to throw all their snow on to the street. Why do people have to be such asses, I feel bad for the neighbours have fun selling your house if I came to look at a place and saw that I would just turn around and leave.
While I hate it and thinks it's awful, I'm not following the "it's taking away public parking" part? Might be related to my question above, I'm assuming you can still park behind this "new driveway" although my assumption has no basis really.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #49
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guarantee you if loser paved driveway is parked there, and I went and parked in front of his car, in what should be public parking, loser would throw a tantrum claiming im blocking their driveway
The Following User Says Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #50
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
at least they put driveways in. A few blocks from my house, they just parked on the lawn. Looked awesome in the spring.
No doubt. My ex-neighbor used to have soooo many cars for some reason. I think he was buying and re-selling them. So they had two cars in the garage, three on the driveway, and when that wasn't enough, he cut an opening in the back yard fence and parked a car right on the lawn. A concrete pad would have looked gorgeous compared to the weed-garden they had out back.

However, their driveway looked like ass too because they also happened to be too lazy to shovel their snow and opted to salt everything instead. They're gone now, but the driveway is all deteriorated to hell.

Give me this look any day over my old neighbour's crap-fest
Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #51
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

That is fugly, but it seems to me to be a by-product of a lack of affordable housing in the city and relatively poor public transit alternatives. What are you supposed to do if you can only afford one home and have a family (or extended family) of 5 or more adults all living under one roof, and all requiring vehicles?

On the bright side, if you had several houses in a row like this across the street from each other, think of the epic street hockey games you could organize.
flylock shox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #52
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

how about you park on the street i guarantee you most of their legs aren't broken if they have to walk half a block i promise you they won't die.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
One guy near where I live did this, I didn't think it was about parking, I thought maybe it was because concrete is easier to maintain than grass

I wonder what it'd look like if it was painted green. Or astroturfed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used to live down the street from this winner. It wasn't about a lack of parking space as there is a park and 100 feet of curb space kitty corner from his house.

And it isn't a money thing as it is a half million dollar home in Panorama.

Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #55
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like they run a business out of the garage?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #56
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like parking for a tenant given the way the garage has presumably been turned into a rental suite.

Or maybe it's a business? I don't know how comfortable a converted garage will be in the winter.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Looks like they run a business out of the garage?

Looks more like an old show home to me.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #58
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like a lot of people are paving their lawns in an attempt to go low maintenance.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/184...6930d6fde29e44
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It seems like a lot of people are paving their lawns in an attempt to go low maintenance.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/184...6930d6fde29e44
The low maintenance angle makes sense. For example, at my new home, the front lawn grass is on a bit of decline. Very steep. So we're thinking of putting in blocks and doing a 2 tier bush / rock garden thing. The kids can play in the backyard. Safer in my opinion (away from the busy road) and the backyard is much larger.

As for what these picture show...it's ugly. But I get that they want driveway space.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a bit envious of this guys driveway/layout. It would be awesome for a basketball net and playing road hockey etc. There are actually a bunch of homes like this in Citadel backing onto Stoney Trail.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.14994...9WqK45vsDg!2e0
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: