Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #41
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
and from the home improvement thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I know several people who use the blowers, both electric and gas. I find it to be a real noise pollution and nuisance. For whatever reason, in the winter, the sound is muffled and is much higher pitched and really annoying at 8 am.

Anyways, Stihl makes a sweeper which is quite effective and can be transformed into a trimmer and a tree trimmer. You need to get at though before it's compacted.
I've seen my neighbors and contractors use backpack blowers and don't notice much for noise pollution. Presuming that they are operating within noise bylaw regulations, they only annoyance I have is that I don't have $500 to burn on what looks like an effortless solution to clear snow.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #42
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slava, not sure if it's been mentioned and maybe they all have them, but be sure and get an electric-start machine. I imagine those things would be very hard to start otherwise. As I said, they may come with only e-start.

I just got my first blower/thrower at the end of last winter. It's a god-send. I will still manually shovel most times for the exercise, but for those big dumps it's a necessity - especially at my age.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #43
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at Toro snowblowers on the Home Depot website, and it looks like you can only get an electric start for two-stage blowers. Is this accurate?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #44
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Slava, not sure if it's been mentioned and maybe they all have them, but be sure and get an electric-start machine. I imagine those things would be very hard to start otherwise. As I said, they may come with only e-start.

I just got my first blower/thrower at the end of last winter. It's a god-send. I will still manually shovel most times for the exercise, but for those big dumps it's a necessity - especially at my age.
Actually mine has a pull cord start and it starts very easily.
I didn't get an electric start because electric start machines need a battery... and batteries tend to lose their juice when it gets cold... and its not like I store my blower inside a warm house.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #45
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I was looking at Toro snowblowers on the Home Depot website, and it looks like you can only get an electric start for two-stage blowers. Is this accurate?
That could very well be true. Some of those 2 stg machines have pretty big engines. Not very pull cord friendly.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #46
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Actually mine has a pull cord start and it starts very easily.
I didn't get an electric start because electric start machines need a battery... and batteries tend to lose their juice when it gets cold... and its not like I store my blower inside a warm house.
Mine plugs in to start.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #47
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got nothing for the real topic and this is maybe a GMG moment but my neighbour uses a regular leaf blower. It's loud to the point you need to turn up the TV, therefore annoying, and makes him look lazy. The guy is perfectly able to use a shovel. I don't think it makes it faster at all.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard lots of good things about the Toro line. My understanding is that the effort required is not much more than a typical lawn mower. $500 should be plenty for a good snowblower that lasts 5+ years.

I'm looking for one myself because the parents are getting older but have not pulled the trigger yet because I still live at home and could use the cash now, but even the low and mid level Toro offerings seemed pretty good (Good anecdotal evidence on Beyond as well).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #49
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Equipment Express guarantees their prices are lower than any big box store.

http://www.equipmentexpress.ca/

I go to the Okotoks location and get excellent service all the time there. (I have a 2 stage Husqvarna from there)
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #50
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Mine plugs in to start.
I see. Are all electric start snowblowers like that? I just assumed that it worked the same way as my electric start lawnmower. It has a small battery that you have to charge when it gets low.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #51
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Equipment Express guarantees their prices are lower than any big box store.

http://www.equipmentexpress.ca/

I go to the Okotoks location and get excellent service all the time there. (I have a 2 stage Husqvarna from there)
Good store. Thats where I bought my single stage...

Although the was the one I really wanted to buy...

The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #52
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just bought a 2 stage and it plugs in to start, not sure if all of them do that.

I like the size of the single stage and the fact they clear down to bare concrete, but we're on a corner lot and can get huge drifts along the fenceline.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #53
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I updated my power ring post, there is prices for Toro single stage that we carry that is a "forum special"

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=102408
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrSector9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #54
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I see. Are all electric start snowblowers like that? I just assumed that it worked the same way as my electric start lawnmower. It has a small battery that you have to charge when it gets low.
Some do. You can purchase aftermarket starters either way.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #55
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need/want hand warmers for my Huaqvarna, but it has the curved handles like this:

Does anyone know if there are any options for these?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #56
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I thought that I would bump this thread. I bought a used machine from Lowes back around the time of this thread. Its a single stage, I have no complaints. It seems to have more than enough power, and while its not self-propelled I would say that at times I feel like I have to hold it back because of the auger pulling it. I went with the electric start and the chute control on the handle bars, because I just couldn't see messing around with that.

Its weird, because I am a complete amateur with this thing. I am paranoid about spraying snow all over the neighbours (it really fires snow ridiculously far) and there is really no way around it. I would also say its not perfect in terms of the removal. It does get down pretty well, but there is generally a little tiny layer left. If you keep the auger running and drag it back though, it goes right to the pavement, solidly. That's likely terrible for it....I have no idea, but it works.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #57
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Model?
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought the Canadiana Elite. I went with this because it had the electric start and chute control, but also because it has a Briggs and Stratton engine, and I figure that those have been around forever and can be serviced if need be. It wasn't the cheapest and not the most expensive.

Looking at the cheaper models I could've saved and went with the pure pull start and no chute control, but that didn't seem worth it at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #59
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a Toro 721 E yesterday, and pretty much had to fight for it. I have about 150 lineal metres of driveway, about 2.5 cars wide all the way through, so ultimately I'd like a tractor, but can't afford it yet. The snowblower did a good job. I can see it working well for a few years.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #60
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Last year I debated what to buy. I have no room in my garage, so it has to live in the shed, which means schlepping it up a hill from the back yard. Because of that, and my 50+ year old back, I went with an electric (Snow Joe)
It works ok , just used it this morning, but the &^%$ing power cord is the biggest pain in the ass. Imagine an electric mower, but the cord is 3 times as thick, and very inflexible in the cold. I'd much rather have a gas single stage, and since my back hurts after carrying it anyway, I wonder why I bothered.
The_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote