Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Phone for just surfing and basic apps?

My Galaxy S5 is getting a bit long in tooth. Screen cracked, doesn't hold charge for long, getting really sluggish with each Android update etc.

I've realized that I never use any apps on the phone. The only things I use it for are rare calls, checking emails, checking messages (FB Messenger, Hangouts, SMS), GPS, and the browser for internet; doing information searches, research, etc. and a scanner app for scanning receipts and documents.

Basically my phone is a tool I use heavily for official and personal work. Our company doesn't issue phones anymore so its out of my pocket to replace the actual device even though they reimburse part of the monthly plan. I never play games, I don't use any fancy features, I don't participate in social media.

Is there a simple phone that is possibly a little smaller and doesn't have all those bells and whistles but still has a snappy browser?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just got one of these.
Killer battery life so far.

http://secure1.ncix.com/products/?sku=134721
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

BLU phones on Amazon. Buy open box (warehouse) or new. I've never used them, but they seem to have good reviews. I am considering buying one as a dummy phone if I went traveling.

Price range is between $60-$300. I'm guessing something in the $100s will work fine for you.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Costco usually has some cheap samsungs that could be used for what you're looking for.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I got a Moto X play as a temporary phone as I went into the ocean with my Note but it ended up being really good that I kept it as my permanent phone. It has quick charge so I can charge my phone to like 70% in half hour, battery life is great - lasts me a whole day and I'm a heavy user. Downside is the internal storage is small but it has expandable memory putting me at like 64 gigs so it's pretty awesome. I'm not sure what the problem is but my phone seems to chew up these sd cards and I've gone through 2 of them already.

But not bad for $200, not bad. Would get again for sure. Also, none of that samsung bloatware.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
BLU phones on Amazon. Buy open box (warehouse) or new. I've never used them, but they seem to have good reviews. I am considering buying one as a dummy phone if I went traveling.

Price range is between $60-$300. I'm guessing something in the $100s will work fine for you.
I've got one for sale I'll be posting soon. It's formatted and everything... I just haven't gotten around to taking pictures of it. It's not snappy by any means though, only 1gb ram and 8gb memory allows for next to zero apps which is why I'm selling. Used for about 4 months and comes with leather flip case I bought. It's probably really good for travel though considering the battery size is huge.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Energy-2-F...eywords=blu+x2

Will be listing for $100 give or take.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I've got one for sale I'll be posting soon. It's formatted and everything... I just haven't gotten around to taking pictures of it. It's not snappy by any means though, only 1gb ram and 8gb memory allows for next to zero apps which is why I'm selling. Used for about 4 months and comes with leather flip case I bought. It's probably really good for travel though considering the battery size is huge.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Energy-2-F...eywords=blu+x2

Will be listing for $100 give or take.
Hmm... unfortunately I'm not traveling out of country for a while yet, so I wouldn't be interested in acquiring the phone for travel purposes any time soon. Good luck on your phone sale though.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't looked to closely lately, but you may want to look into a referb Nexus5.
Still a dam good phone. Last I looked you could pick one up for sub $200.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote