Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Are there any online retailers for Software that are legit? How do you know?

I need to purchase some copies of Windows 7 Professional

Memory Express sells legit copies for $180. I get the product sticker that I can attach to each PC.

softwarekeep.ca sells the same software for $104, but the license key is sent via Email. How do I know I am not getting screwed and that the software will work in 5 years?

Does anyone have any experience with these online discount retailers? The more I read online, the more I think I should bite the bullet on the more expense version, but $80/license really can add up over a years budget.

Their online support is at best vague on details.
Quote:
ME: Hello, with Windows 7 professional license, is the license sticker shipped or is the key only emailed?
Sue: We will send your order via email. That email has the download link and the product key for activation.
ME: Is there a way to pay more and get the physical sticker shipped?
Sue: Yes You may add the USB software back up
ME: Ok, if I ordered 10 copies, would I need to order a USB stick for each copy to get the license sticker for all 10?
or just 1 usb stick?
I am ok downloading the software, just would prefer the license sticker as well
Sue: just 1
ME: Ok, so just to confirm, if I add just 1 usb stick, the the license stickers would then be shipped with the usb key?
Sue: We will send your order via email. That email has the download link and the product key for activation.
then we will send you the USB back up
ME: And inside the packaging for the USB would be the physical license stickers for the OS?
SUE has left the chat
Thanks

Last edited by temple5; 04-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think our answer is right there where she abandons the chat.

As far as I know, unless the key is hard coded in the machine BIOS, you have to have the sticker. Microsoft doesn't sell licenses as an email item, so I don't see how these places can re-sell something Microsoft doesn't provide.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks, I was reading and at least some places (not this site specifically) are known to simply re-use licenses and the Windows Activation isnt the most secure so they will send the same key out to multiple users. It might work the first time for activation but if for whatever reason your HD crashes and you have to re-activate, then that is where the error comes in.

This site seems to be a legit business in Vancouver (at least from the outside) but the fact they dont have an option to ship the sticker really makes me gun shy.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
How do I know I am not getting screwed and that the software will work in 5 years?
I don't have anything to add about where to buy, but keep in mind that Windows 7 extended support ends in January, 2020
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...cle-fact-sheet

I know that when XP extended support ended, we ran into a number of things that stopped working correctly.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Windows-Profes...ords=windows+7

$45 bucks for the 64 bit OEM version (No drivers or support I believe, just key and disc)

$53 for the 32 bit version.

Also, you're concerned about a crashed HDD. Is RAID 1 an option?

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not sure if legit , online retailers , operating systems , software