Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #481
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
Until recently Shaw like most cable networks could only use 6-42Mhz for uploads. That change when they could rid of the analogue channels but it will take sometime for the upgrades to use the additional bandwidth.
Hitron and Cisco modems for upstream go from 5-85 MHz. To Increase the upstream bandwidth to 15 Mbps, they freed up those carriers already within the 2 years of upgrades. In any event Docsis 3.1 will address the upstream bandwidth anyways, which is said to deploy across shaw's footprint by end of next year.
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #482
chaoticmonk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

i guess the rumors were true for us telus users on telus 150

chaoticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoticmonk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #483
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You didn't change anything? You were on 150/30 before and the speed just increased today with no warning? That's pretty neat.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #484
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just a reminder to the people who got Telus to match and received a free gift and that contract hasn't expired yet. Check your bills as I heard another Telus customer get the deal reversed because of the gift they received without warning or notification.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #485
chaoticmonk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
You didn't change anything? You were on 150/30 before and the speed just increased today with no warning? That's pretty neat.
yup
chaoticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoticmonk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #486
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me too. Ping is now only 1 MS as well.

Fibre internet master race.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #487
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Shaw knew it was coming and locked me in!!

Funny, a Telus rep came to my door today saying how they just spent a few weeks upgrading all the infrastructure in our neighbourhood and if I'd be interested, I thought for a minute I'd just missed out on symmetrical 150, but I guess they were now able to offer me 100...
Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #488
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been doing some reading and I think the Telus deal I got offered is actually pretty crappy. People (that are existing customers) have been negotiating more TV channels and unlimited internet for less than my introductory price, and have promo pricing for 12 months instead of the 6 I got. I'm going to have to call in and negotiate something much better before I get Telus installed, which I'm now pretty set on with the 150/150.

For people who have been on Telus Fibre for a while, how is it for gaming? I play mostly Blizzard games, and my pings for WoW and Overwatch have been steadily creeping up over time. I'm now usually at around 70-80 ms for each, never much lower, some occasional spikes up higher. I notice sometimes on nights with big TV events like Game of Thrones I notice latency spikes with Shaw, even though nobody in my house is watching or streaming anything at the time. It's pretty annoying.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #489
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Me too. Ping is now only 1 MS as well.

Fibre internet master race.
Cool. You wonder why Telus wouldn't tell people about that though. They kept saying they couldn't offer me anything faster than 25 Mbps.

So maybe in two years, their infrastructure in my area will consist of something more than a string attached to a couple of tin cans.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #490
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Got Shaw hooked up yesterday and similarly to another poster, on wired I get over 150 but over wifi it usually is only around 80 to 90 mbps on the 5G frequency. 2.4 frequency just plain sucks. Shaw technician on the phone had me cycle through a few different channels for the 2.4 frequency to little effect with him eventually saying to just use the 5G anyway.

Compounding matters is that I use a Airport Express hooked up to wired speakers in another part of the house and now it cannot connect to the Hitron modem wirelessly like it could my old D-Link wireless modem. Shaw technician told me it never would either. Super.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #491
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
Compounding matters is that I use a Airport Express hooked up to wired speakers in another part of the house and now it cannot connect to the Hitron modem wirelessly like it could my old D-Link wireless modem. Shaw technician told me it never would either. Super.
Were they connected via AirPlay? If so Hiltron as far as I know will not support that. Just bridge the modem and hook it into the Airport Express? You'll lose AC speeds, since for some reason apple doesn't support that on the express (read typical money grub from apple). You'll have to throw down for an Airport Extreme to get AC support.

EDIT: Although maybe you can use the airport express as an access point, and connect it to the speakers? Not sure if it has that feature?

Last edited by OldDutch; 08-16-2016 at 12:49 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #492
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Cool. You wonder why Telus wouldn't tell people about that though. They kept saying they couldn't offer me anything faster than 25 Mbps.

So maybe in two years, their infrastructure in my area will consist of something more than a string attached to a couple of tin cans.
Probably would have happened faster in Calgary if Nenshi wasn't pushing for the CRTC to enforce open access to Fibre lines for all parties.

Instead Edmonton was the beneficiary of an accelerated fibre build our for 2016.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2016/01/t...tson-v-nenshi/
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #493
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Probably would have happened faster in Calgary if Nenshi wasn't pushing for the CRTC to enforce open access to Fibre lines for all parties.

Instead Edmonton was the beneficiary of an accelerated fibre build our for 2016.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2016/01/t...tson-v-nenshi/
That would just be corporate strong arming of the government. If anything open access is a good thing consumers if the US current situation and Europe is used an example.

Nenshi is right on this and if Bell/Telus would rather continue their current approach, Shaw can go and eat all their business. Shaw has the same open access rules for Teksavvy and the like.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #494
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
That would just be corporate strong arming of the government. If anything open access is a good thing consumers if the US current situation and Europe is used an example.

Nenshi is right on this and if Bell/Telus would rather continue their current approach, Shaw can go and eat all their business. Shaw has the same open access rules for Teksavvy and the like.
There is no issue with Open Access as it works today - TELUS does it with Teksavvy as well.

The issue is when the CRTC wants to enforce it at a price that they control - which makes less sense if a company is investing literally billions of dollars into building a fibre network.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #495
your_dad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_dad View Post
Not sure if this has been already said in the thread or if it would generate any interest, but telus' 150 service will be rebranded as 'purefibre' and offer 150 Mbps down and 150 Mbps UPLOAD speeds. It launches next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
He is mistaken. There is no 150/150.
Enjoy your new speeds brotha!
your_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #496
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
There is no issue with Open Access as it works today - TELUS does it with Teksavvy as well.

The issue is when the CRTC wants to enforce it at a price that they control - which makes less sense if a company is investing literally billions of dollars into building a fibre network.
All Telcos/ISPs have taken in grants/subsidies over the years to build out rural internet/telephone networks/video networks/favorable build agreements and the like. In some cases they've taken the money and did nothing with it. This is especially true for rural internet cases.

The wholesale rates are not anything new either as the same rates are enforced on existing Cable plants, that are also Fibre, except for the last leg into customer homes. These were paid for by those companies with the same rates enforced i.e. they literally invested billions upgrading their coax backhauls all to fibre as well. Rogers and Shaw are not complaining about these either. Bell also had record profits/margins for the last three consecutive years and increasing revenue, so cry me a river that little poor big corporation is going to make a few less bucks.

From their own financials, increasing margins, profits and cashflow while already building out a network.
http://www.bce.ca/news-and-media/rel...-73-per-year-1

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-17-2016 at 08:55 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #497
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_dad View Post
Enjoy your new speeds brotha!
I already said I was mistaken!
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #498
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It seems no matter who you go with they will find a way to nickle and dime you to death even if you don't order anything.

My Shaw bill came in about $20 too high for the month September 16 to October 15.

Apparently I ordered Crave and Shomi when I have zero interest in both. Definitely check your bills. They fixed it but it is annoying having to call in every time they make a mistake. With telus I would get random channel adds like Much Music and National Geographic. It's like there is zero honesty or integrity in these companies.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #499
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
It seems no matter who you go with they will find a way to nickle and dime you to death even if you don't order anything.

My Shaw bill came in about $20 too high for the month September 16 to October 15.

Apparently I ordered Crave and Shomi when I have zero interest in both. Definitely check your bills. They fixed it but it is annoying having to call in every time they make a mistake. With telus I would get rando m channel adds like Much Music and National Geographic. It's like there is zero honesty or integrity in these companies.
I haven't switched over yet to my new plan, but I call shaw every 2 months to have things fixed. My monthly bill ranges from $80 - $145 per month, when no services change and no promotions expire. It's always "whoops" errors and it results in me calling to chew them in for being so ****. That usually results in more promotional discounts, since I am already maxed out in promotions, but it's a waste of my time based on a poor system of theirs.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #500
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Telus upgraded me today. Quite happy with the speed.

How were you able to get Telus to match? Did they give you Telus Fibre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150