Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #81
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
**WET BLANKET**

I know we all love the Flames and everyone loves Jagr (now), but really, why would he come here? Under the circumstances - he has a year or two left at best, probably more money than god, the Flames left the Patrick Division 35 years ago, the Flames are not going to win anything before he retires - it seems crazy to me.

Downie and Greene aren't exactly glamorous, but they fit the bill pretty good.
Jagr went to New Jersey...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #82
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
**WET BLANKET**

I know we all love the Flames and everyone loves Jagr (now), but really, why would he come here? Under the circumstances - he has a year or two left at best, probably more money than god, the Flames left the Patrick Division 35 years ago, the Flames are not going to win anything before he retires - it seems crazy to me.
-1st line RW minutes + PP time
-Good hockey city and intelligent fanbase who have embraced the rebuild
-Can throw lots of money at him for small term
-If he wants to win, can flip to contender at deadline
-Travelling Jagrs are based out of Calgary
-Hasn't played in a Canadian market yet, we're one of the best ones
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #83
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Niskanen. Just dump a truckload of money at his door and give him top 4 ice time and PP time. Pay as much as we can of Wideman's contract and trade him somewhere. Seriously.. like an outrageous sum of money is fine by me.

Elliot would be nice too. Seems like he'd be a good fit and push Ramo, though I could also see him in Vancouver.

Not sure about forwards.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #84
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Niskanen. Just dump a truckload of money at his door and give him top 4 ice time and PP time. Pay as much as we can of Wideman's contract and trade him somewhere. Seriously.. like an outrageous sum of money is fine by me.

Elliot would be nice too. Seems like he'd be a good fit and push Ramo, though I could also see him in Vancouver.

Not sure about forwards.
I am guessing Niksanen must have some great advanced stats.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #85
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Sarich? I like the guy, but that would be a terrible signing.
I don't think it would be a terrible signing at all. Sarich checks a lot of boxes for the Flames current situation: he's a big physical defenseman, wouldn't expect more than bottom pairing minutes and a regular rotation through the press box, mentor role for Wotherspoon and potentially Sieloff (if he gets healthy and is called up), great guy that by all accounts is good in the locker room, liked Calgary and was good in the community.

He's at the end of his career and doesn't move like he used to (even at the best of times, no one was confusing him with Orr) but he showed he still had gas in the tank with the Avs.

1 year at $2.5M provided the Flames can punt SOB somewhere? If the Flames can get a guy like Matt Greene, obviously that takes priority (or Niskanen) but assuming those guys don't want to sign with a rebuilder, Sarich is a solid "bridge" option, IMO.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #86
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad only one person suggested Iginla. I think it shows most of us are in a good place now and no long desperately trying to hold onto that dream.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #87
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Doubt Sarich will be back, he doesn't like the current coaching staff.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #88
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doubt Sarich will be back, he doesn't like the current coaching staff.
Didn't realize that. I assume from his reduced role in Hartley's first year. Thanks.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #89
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Didn't realize that. I assume from his reduced role in Hartley's first year. Thanks.
Pretty much:

"It was just the opinion of a coach. Or coaches," said Sarich, whose Flames were coached last season and still are by former Avs bench boss Bob Hartley. "The last two years, they didn't play me for a bit and then I come back and I was — not to toot my own horn or anything — but I was a really solid defenseman for our team. It just seems that the start of every season, it gets overlooked a little bit. So it's nice to have some people putting some faith in me again."

Read more: Cory Sarich enjoying rebirth of NHL career with Avalanche - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2rdWCWFfk
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #90
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Setoguchi is kind of a perfect target for the Flames ... big, RH shot, Alberta boy. He's coming off a bad season, so maybe he'd settle for a short term contract to try to earn a bigger one. If he does, we could flip him at the deadline for picks (or even re-sign him if needed).
As a guy who watched Setoguchi all through out junoir in saskatoon, and watched my share of jets game this year, we dont want him. Some games he plays hard and battles, most he doesnt. Hartley has a done great job of turning this team into a hard working squad, Devin would be a step back.

Last edited by gunnner; 04-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #91
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming Cammalleri walks and we can unload Wideman.

I'd go after Michalek and Orpik. Both address the size issue, and Michalek can help replace Cammalleri's scoring.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #92
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

I'd love to get Bolland. Gritty guy that can move up and down the lineup and contribute.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #93
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Man, the thought of Gaudreau getting to spend a season learning from Jagr...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #94
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado would be crazy not to keep Stastny on the team but I would love to see him join the Flames and play with our young guns. He was clutch tonight in game 1.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #95
stignasty
Self-Ban

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
... young guns.
Please watch your language.
stignasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stignasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #96
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
Yeah but we have a lot of RFAs to sign. If we have to Add someone I would say a Callahan type rw.
Of all our RFAs, not a one of them is due more than an incremental raise.

Jagr for size, hockey smarts, offense, leadership - he seems to be going on some sort of Cher-like farewell tour of the NHL, and as others have mentioned, he's never played in Canada. I'd buy the jersey.

Greene or Niskanen would be fine additions; NHL defenders are not in huge supply after Gio and Brodie. Russell and Smid are fine in 5/6 roles, and Wotherspoon doesn't need to be rushed. Breen, Billins, and Cundari have no place on this team moving forward.

Given our cap situation, overpay for a backup. At that position, it means what, 2-2.5 million? Get Brian Elliot, Ray Emery, someone with some pedigree. Joey Mac is a nice guy. He's scrappy. He made some awesome saves. He's a bottom tier NHL backup. Let's aspire for a little more out of that position.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #97
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Of all our RFAs, not a one of them is due more than an incremental raise.

Jagr for size, hockey smarts, offense, leadership - he seems to be going on some sort of Cher-like farewell tour of the NHL, and as others have mentioned, he's never played in Canada. I'd buy the jersey.

Greene or Niskanen would be fine additions; NHL defenders are not in huge supply after Gio and Brodie. Russell and Smid are fine in 5/6 roles, and Wotherspoon doesn't need to be rushed. Breen, Billins, and Cundari have no place on this team moving forward.

Given our cap situation, overpay for a backup. At that position, it means what, 2-2.5 million? Get Brian Elliot, Ray Emery, someone with some pedigree. Joey Mac is a nice guy. He's scrappy. He made some awesome saves. He's a bottom tier NHL backup. Let's aspire for a little more out of that position.
This exactly.

I'd be thrilled to get a competent backup who still has potential (Brian Elliott) as a way to hit the floor. Over pay guys just to get some skill in here.

If we ditch Wideman for a forward or draft pick, and sign say both Greene and Niskanen, our top 6 would actually look good with

Gio-Brodie
Greene-Niskanen
Smid-Russell

It would be good enough to allow for our prospects (wotherspoon/Sieloff/Kulak/Culkin etc) time to mature for another year or two. Usually D-men take till they're 21-22 before they crack an NHL lineup, and our oldest legit prospects are only just turning 21.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #98
Singularity
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Which non-Flames UFAs do we target?

As much as I want Stasny to come to Calgary, I don't think it happening, what's to make him the young and well coached Avs team?

I also think we shouldn't pick up any big name goalies like Halak or Elliot, I'm pretty sure they want the number 1 job(not to mention their cap hit), not to back up Ramo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #99
McLintock
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Go after Niskanen, Stastny, Halak and trade for Evander Kane...
McLintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 AM   #100
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone somewhere mentioned that Jagr likes the east for the limited travel. I can see this as he's not getting younger. It would be a long shot for him to sign with us.

We need a big defenceman, a backup goalie and maybe a big RW. I'd say we go for the best goalie we can get. If Ramo gets pushed that's a good problem.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote