Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 08:25 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I love how everyone has a personal twist on the experience.

- My daughter was born the day of game one in the final.
- I missed game three at the Dome because Bingo Jr was pretty out of sorts with a new human in the house
- Worked tirelessly through the entire run finishing my basement to have a guest room (amazing experiences coming home from a game and listening to the post game while wiring or plumbing)
- Joseph from Germany (CP legend) at my house and then mid celebration (eliminating the Canucks) and we can't find him.
- CP was smaller then, more out for beer meetings, guys like Displaced Flames Fan coming up to Canada.
- Jerseys in the office
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:25 AM   #22
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks in '94 I guess came a little bit closer, though to me it never felt like they were going to win that despite coming back from down 3-1 against the Rangers.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:27 AM   #23
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I love how everyone has a personal twist on the experience.

- My daughter was born the day of game one in the final.
- I missed game three at the Dome because Bingo Jr was pretty out of sorts with a new human in the house
- Worked tirelessly through the entire run finishing my basement to have a guest room (amazing experiences coming home from a game and listening to the post game while wiring or plumbing)
- Joseph from Germany (CP legend) at my house and then mid celebration (eliminating the Canucks) and we can't find him.
- CP was smaller then, more out for beer meetings, guys like Displaced Flames Fan coming up to Canada.
- Jerseys in the office
I remember meeting up with you and CalgARI at Game 6 against Vancouver!
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:45 AM   #24
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was in Grade 10 at the time - that year my parents decided to opt into more channels so we caught a lot of regular season games.
-8pm starts were killer especially those OT Games but worth it staying up
-School was all hyped up encouraging everyone to wear anything red or Flames gear on game days
-I remember my dad had to go pick up a car from down around Chinook area and proceeded back to 17th Avenue SE to go home when we beat SJ in OT for win the series every car was honking and cheering it was something to see at the time
-Game 6 Final was on a Saturday and we all piled into our friends house about 20 of us to watch the game, during intermissions, we would all run out to the street to play street hockey and then back again to watch the game, I remember the day after it rained...
-Skipped school the morning of the Olympic Plaza party and it was a site to see with so many people turned out like it was a real parade
Old 04-03-2024, 08:48 AM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 3 against Vancouver the first home playoff game in 1000 years it seemed.

We got rush seating in the 300's. Our wives waited in line to buy them with our new born babies.

There was no assigned seating, IIRC the Dome opened at 5ish and we got there at 4:55.

We drank non-stop until puck drop. At one time Ken King was up there high fiving and talking to fans.

Just a ####ing amazing night of hockey.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:49 AM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
Was in Grade 10 at the time - that year my parents decided to opt into more channels so we caught a lot of regular season games.
-8pm starts were killer especially those OT Games but worth it staying up
-School was all hyped up encouraging everyone to wear anything red or Flames gear on game days
-I remember my dad had to go pick up a car from down around Chinook area and proceeded back to 17th Avenue SE to go home when we beat SJ in OT for win the series every car was honking and cheering it was something to see at the time
-Game 6 Final was on a Saturday and we all piled into our friends house about 20 of us to watch the game, during intermissions, we would all run out to the street to play street hockey and then back again to watch the game, I remember the day after it rained...
-Skipped school the morning of the Olympic Plaza party and it was a site to see with so many people turned out like it was a real parade
That event at Olympic plaza was great. Chris Simon (RIP) *high fived* (slapped) my friend in the face by accident as we were leaning over trying to touch Iggy, or maybe Gelinas... A memory I will never forget as he then proceeded to brag about it for a year.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:58 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've rewatched the game 7 versus the Canucks, and the elimination games against Detroit and the Sharks.

There were so many legends born from that series.

Iggy and Kipper, the shift, the eliminator. The double (I'm going to call it) cheats in the Tampa series (The missed blatant tackle interference in game 6, the goal in game 7)

The sea of Red, and the red mile were legendary and other teams tried to imitate them but it just seemed cheap.

Calgary knocked off three division leaders something that hadn't been done before.

It bought Calgary together like nothing I'd ever seen since the Cup run in 1989.

Its hard for me to believe that we'll ever see a run like that again.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:59 AM   #28
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Sports Illustrated named Calgary the best sports city in North America of that year.

And every single guy on that '04 team, how could you not love em? They defined what teamwork, hustle and emotion meant. One of the best Springs of my life.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:00 AM   #29
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like Bingo I had a newborn(a few months) and I kept telling my wife it probably won’t last and I don’t know if it will happen again so I have to go. She deserves a medal.

Lots of great things have been mentioned but the tailgating was awesome. We’d go at noon or something, had a grill in the back of the truck, street hockey games would break out, and Ken King would rip around in a golf cart wearing flip flops and talking to everyone. That experience will never be repeated.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:02 AM   #30
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shout-out to all the guys on this board in Toronto at the time, it was incredible to meet up and take over the bars to watch this run together. HalifaxDrunk was one of the crew, I can't remember the other user names, but I'll always cherish the memories.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:17 AM   #31
paley01
Draft Pick

I was in the middle of a rainforest in Africa collecting data for my Ph.D dissertation, living at a remote field station, for the 04 run. Only way to get cell signal in those days was to climb a hill near camp. During the finals I would climb this hill the morning before starting work after every game to listen to a message from my wife about the previous game's score. Found out the Flames lost game 7 while I could hear an elephant's stomach gurgling off in the bush.
paley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to paley01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 AM   #32
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was fairly newly 18, and working at the Saddledome at the time. Things could not have worked out better. One of my fondest memories in life was that spring.

The moment that stands out the most was the Gelinas OT winner against Detroit, and the absolute thunder in that building when it happened. Might have been the loudest thing I have ever heard.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 AM   #33
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paley01 View Post
I was in the middle of a rainforest in Africa collecting data for my Ph.D dissertation, living at a remote field station, for the 04 run. Only way to get cell signal in those days was to climb a hill near camp. During the finals I would climb this hill the morning before starting work after every game to listen to a message from my wife about the previous game's score. Found out the Flames lost game 7 while I could hear an elephant's stomach gurgling off in the bush.
Looks like we've found Crazy Bacon Legs' alternate account.

But that's a really cool story
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 AM   #34
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was so lucky. My seasons ticket was row 3 at ice level. The noise was incredible. The comradarie was boundless. A ton of memories I will never forget.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:16 AM   #35
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'll never forget the noise in the building when the Sharks put the puck in their own empty net to send the Flames to the cup final.

Was no longer "noise" it was just an inaudible "hum"
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:42 AM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:43 AM   #37
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greatest 2-3 months of my life? It’s definitely up there. Game night or not, the entire period was just a blast. Final loss hurt for at least 10 years.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:52 AM   #38
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember getting calls from friends in the bar at noon on game days saying come over. And I’d be like it’s only noon I have to work. And they’d be like Dude we’re way too nervous to work! And I’d be like you’re right on my way!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:52 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to believe more time has passed since 2004, compared to 1989 to 2004.

I remember so many things vividly. I was traveling a lot with work at the time and everything I did revolved around not missing the games.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:55 AM   #40
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Sometimes it’s the little things. One of my fondest memories isn’t going to the games or going to 17th. Don’t get me wrong, those are the obvious ones but I have this memory of watching game 1 of the San Jose series with my gf at a home she was house sitting for a family member. After the game we took their dog for a walk and walked down 14st around northmount dr. I was wearing my flames jersey and the entire walk was nothing but cars honking and people leaning out their windows cheering. It was such an amazing feeling to see how the whole city was on board. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: