Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #361
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like Smid a lot, but I have this fear (if maybe a little irrational) that Brossoit is going to develop into a great player. If it was any team other than Edmonton, I wouldn't care as I know Gillies is the better prospect anyway.

For some reason I thought Smid was older, so my initial reaction was little more negative, but at 27 with 3 more years in the deal (and no clauses), that is nice. Plus, we need the toughness.

All in all, I think this was a good deal for us... but I am holding my breathe to see how Brossoit develops.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #362
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the trade, Smid allows the Flames to spread the minutes around even more. Horak was a good bottom 6 but the Flames have a lot of those players and with the addition of Knight, etc there really wasn't a spot for him anymore unless they wanted to keep those guys in Abby

Best part is any Oilers fan is pissed about this trade and that in itself is win!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #363
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Is she still Smid's girlfriend?

Not too bad..
I doubt it. As soon as he got traded to Edmonton she dumped his ass.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #364
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #365
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I actually like Smid a lot, but I have this fear (if maybe a little irrational) that Brossoit is going to develop into a great player. If it was any team other than Edmonton, I wouldn't care as I know Gillies is the better prospect anyway.

For some reason I thought Smid was older, so my initial reaction was little more negative, but at 27 with 3 more years in the deal (and no clauses), that is nice. Plus, we need the toughness.

All in all, I think this was a good deal for us... but I am holding my breathe to see how Brossoit develops.
Meh, he is just as likely to be the next Irving or middling prospect as any other goaltender
Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #366
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe MacT is channeling George Costanza.

MacT: Hey Kevin, if every instinct you have is wrong then maybe we should do the opposite? What are our biggest weaknesses?
Klown: Defense and goaltending, locker room in disarray.
MacT: Okay, I'll trade away our best defenseman and sign a head case goalie that nobody wants.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #367
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Unfortunately I have a baby crying in the room, so can only hear every 3rd word. Someone else will have to do so.
Babies are selfish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chockfullofgoodness For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #368
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst I've seen CP say about Smid is when you see some Oiler fans saying he was a top 2 guy (but in reality only top 2 on the Oilers). I still remember from some of the BoA when Iggy was constantly smothered by Smid which was unfortunately impressive to see.

With that:
1) Got a big body on defense, improving the back end and giving another minute muncher to spread the workload
2) Naturally shift Butler/SOB do you the depth chart
3) Gave up expendable pieces from an area of strength while buying low
4) Pissed off the Oilers

I'm happy with this.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #369
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Yeah I feel the same way - but you dont get something without giving something back - so we gave up potential for some needed toughness

When ever watched the Oil - ( mostly cause I get perverse joy in watching them lose) Smid was at least standing up for his teamates and punishing guys in the corner and the front of the net.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #370
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Smid. He hits people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #371
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

No link, too lazy and inept to bother looking for it, but I remember Brian Burke saying something to the effect that Smid had the lowest intestinal fortitude of any player he had seen. Or the smallest pain threshold or something.

A private drinking game I've had during Oiler games is to drink every time Smid writhes in pain or is seen grimacing greatly. Many drinks ahead.

Mr Mastadon already commented on Smid's faux toughness, that has always bothered me about him. Pushing and shoving after whistles for no real good reason, yet rarely ever fighting. Although I believe he did best Iginla in a fight.

I liked Horak (past tense intentional) but we got an NHL defensman for a guy that cannot crack our roster. Goalies are always question marks, so I call that a tie. So we win, Oiler stink and all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #372
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

If not already posted this is fun http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/11/8...or-magic-beans
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #373
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Smid and love this trade.

LB was not going to get the chance to develop with our organization. Hope it works out for him in EDM. Like the kid.

horak had his shot and has been beaten out by other players. Good asset management on our part. Hope it works out for him as well.

Picking up a 27 year old who is signed at a reasonable contract for fuys who are not oingto crack our (bottom of the league) roster? Great move!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #374
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to the PGT from the December 28, 2009 game against the Oilers, to see if CP had anything good/bad to say about Smid. There wasn't much reaction, but I did find this quote that made me laugh:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Iginla should have been suspended for the hit on Souray and that he fought Smid because he was scared that he would have to fight someone else on the Oilers.

The Oilers have a lot of great talent coming up and have the two best players at the WJHC right now.

Also forgot about the obligatory Tambellini has made great moves and will get the team where it needs to be as all that is needed is small moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #375
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Smid isn't a legit top 4 on a good, or play-off, team but is an upgrade over Butler and SOB so I guess he improves the team there. He is way overpaid but who cares about the cap now since we shouldn't be near the top anyways.

Horak is similar in that he really isn't good enough to play top 9 for a good team but can fill in on poor teams.

I say fairly even deal in that nobody really gets anything great and kind of a meh forward for meh defenseman but since it sounds like the Oilers did this to clear space for signing Bryz and you a. should never sign Bryz and b. definitely not clear space to sign him it is a clear loss for the Oilers.
Way overpaid? What do you think he is worth? I think the trade is more even than most, bud Smid is a quality NHLer, top 4 on most teams.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #376
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So which 5-6 gets pushed to a black ace man it would be nice if it would be Butler. Also when Gio comes back in a month who else gets the black jersey
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #377
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He best part of this entire trade was that the Flames helped the Oilers clear cap space to sign Bryz!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #378
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meh, Smid, always thought he was a bit of a gutless puke, remember him jumping Lombardi a few years back, and other times coming out of a scrum with the smallest player he could find, but hes a okay 4-6 defensemen.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #379
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

This is a very good deal for us, Smid is a good d-man not great but real solid. I could get used to this "winning trade" thing we've had going for a while.

+ This makes the Oilers worse. So bonus there.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #380
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ridiculous for the Oilers to trade Smid, good pick-up for the Flames acquiring a warrior-type d-man. I feel ill ........

IKTHUS
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Walter Reed For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread