Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #221
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I will admit, we got a solid defenseman, but I think we gave up a year too early on Horak and Brossoit.

Roy will go Alaska. Ortio must be pleased.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #222
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

I've always liked Smid some what even if he was a dirty Oiler. He isn't great but tough enough to make a difference.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #223
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like the trade a lot. Size on the back end was desperately needed. 2 guys on my "wish" list were Robidas and Beauchemin. Not guys that I expected to be available, but Smid fits a similar mould. Don't like the idea of giving up on Brossoit, but he's no blue chip prospect. Now if the Flames could just stay healthy.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #224
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For anyone not monitoring the other thread, Bryz signed.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #225
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This trade is definitely Burke influence. One of his former players, a big defensive defenceman. Burke was very high on Smid and wanted to keep him but gave him up in the Pronger deal. Also Smid has more experience then every defenceman on the Flames roster other than Wideman and O'Brien. Some quotes:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/37147
"Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. “Ladislav Smid is a top young defenseman with both the size and skill to be an impact NHL player in the future"

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=431159
"Smid was back in the Czech Republic when he got word of the deal. Considering how high he was on the radar of Ducks GM Brian Burke, he was surprised to be dealt."

http://www2.canada.com/edmonton/news...61bec1bad2&p=1
"NHL scouts were glowing in their praise for Smid on draft day, and Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke begrudgingly surrendered him for Pronger, saying Smid had the second-best on-ice awareness after Scott Niedermayer."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ring of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #226
Kelekin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two types of posts:

1) This is a horrible move!! Feaster is the worst!! This trade makes no sense but I have no reasons in which I can explain why this is a bad move!

2) This is a quality trade where we moved depth and not-even-our-top-goalie-prospect for a top 4 D-Man.

I like the 2nd type better, since they actually seem to make sense. It is amazing the gut reactions here when it comes to deals, and the overvaluing of prospects through red-coloured glasses.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #227
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Oiler fans are super pissed. I like this trade now.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #228
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good trade for Flames. An everyday NHL dman for a guy who will likely never make much of an impact at the NHL level and a goalie prospect swap. Well done Feaster/Burke.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #229
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to be an extreme level of overreaction on here... Smid is a legitimate NHL defenseman and Horak and Brossoit were spare parts that may or may not have ever made it. Can't we all just take pleasure in the fact that virtually every Oiler fan I know is really angry about the trade? Flames won this one by far.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #230
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it can be understated how bad the Oilers team is right now.

We were never going to out-tank the experts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #231
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roy is also an RFA this summer - Brossoit was not. Flames may be priming themselves to free up another contract? (far fetched speculation)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #232
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I believe Brossoit has won more playoff games at Rexall than any of the Oilers goalies have won regular season games.

and even if you add their playoff games
Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #233
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always liked Smid. Good stay at home defenseman. I like this trade. Plus most of the posters on the Oilers message board hate the trade so that also makes me happy.

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community...for-prospects/
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #234
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say how Brossoit will develop, with goalies you just never know. As it is right now, Ortio and Berra are ahead of him on the depth chart.

I always liked Horak, but moving him to the Wing in Abbotsford was a sign his days were numbered, in hindsight.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #235
Kelekin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Doesn't seem to make sense for either team at the moment, unless Edmonton is gearing up to sign Bryz... I don't get this trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Seems to be an extreme level of overreaction on here... Smid is a legitimate NHL defenseman and Horak and Brossoit were spare parts that may or may not have ever made it. Can't we all just take pleasure in the fact that virtually every Oiler fan I know is really angry about the trade? Flames won this one by far.
Quick 15 minute turn-around.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #236
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is a trade that will benefit both teams. Although he didn't work out here, Horak will be very good as an Oiler with the skill of the forwards. Wouldn't be shocked to see him put up relatively big offensive numbers.

Smid should really help our defense out and more importantly our goalies.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #237
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Oilers trade Smid and Olivier Roy to Flames for Horak and Brossoit

Second thought on this - Feaster used the available cap space to Flames' advantage. And Oilers signed Bryz with the free cap space. Definite win for the Flames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #238
Jakester
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not much to dislike here. The Flames desperately need help on defense and Smid fits the bill as a top 4 defensive d-man. While I suspect the eventual hope is for one or more of Sieloff, Wotherspoon, or Ramage to step into the role of defensive d-man capable of playing top 4 minutes, all of them are probably a year or two away. Smid should provide some stability in the meantime.

The Flames have a glut of forwards with 3rd (or optimistically 2nd) line potential. Horak is one of the older players who fit this mold and seems to have fallen behind the likes of Reinhart, Knight, and Hanowski on the depth chart. Perhaps he'll find his game in Edmonton, perhaps he'll continue to be one of those guys who doesn't score enough to make the top six and isn't tough enough to make the bottom six on an NHL team. In any case, a top 4 d-man > 3rd line forward.

Broissoit for Roy is a wash IMO. Both guys had good junior careers, but neither seems to be lock for an NHL job. Until they prove otherwise at the NHL level, goalies are a crap shoot.

Not sure how this makes sense from Edmonton's point of view. Their defense was thin with Smid and now it's even worse. Big gamble on Horak and/or Broissoit for them. Or perhaps they're pursuing the "Play bad for Ekblad" strategy
Old 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #239
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Maybe I should of worded it differently for you then. Anytime Smid was talked about on CP most people would say how terrible he was. Does this make you feel better?
Heh... "should of". Should of, would of, could of. Of you no shame?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #240
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Horak can be a useful NHL player but he does not fit the "Burke" criteria. I don't see how he really helps Edmonton either to be honest. He is a very similar player to Anton Lander.

Brossoit has all the tools to be a successful NHL goaltender. I am not sure if he has the mental toughness though. We shall see. I liked him as a prospect though and will miss him for sure.

Outside of being a right handed shot Ladislav Smid is everything that this defense is currently missing. He is without a doubt a top four defensmen and is only 27 years old.

Based on pure value we win this trade easily. I like it!
Closed Thread