Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #121
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Rhowse22 Ryan Howse
Tomorrow I will score it is now just a mindset done with the jokes and questions 50 last year 0 this year #notthatdusty #nomorebagels

12 hours ago

Nice attitude to see from Howse
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #122
rednex50
Draft Pick

Flames dealt Brendan Mikkelson to Tampa for Blair Jones this morning.

Jones staying up to CGY? or are they sending him to Abby?

I told you you'd love Howse.
rednex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #123
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex50 View Post
Flames dealt Brendan Mikkelson to Tampa for Blair Jones this morning.

Jones staying up to CGY? or are they sending him to Abby?

I told you you'd love Howse.
My guess is that Jones will stay up with Calgary and Horak will go to Abbotsford.

Hope Howse gets his first goal as soon as possible.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #124
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Time for Henry and Piskula to step on up.

In the last week, the Heat lost their top 2 d-men. Clay Wilson up in Calgary was leading with 20 points, Mikkelson had 15.

To say the Heat have lost mobility and scoring on the backend is an understatement.

As it currently stands this is the defensive roster:
Joe Piskula - 4pts in 19GP and +1
Jordan Henry - 4pts in 32GP and -3
Chris Breen - 2pts in 28GP and -2
Brett Carson - 1pt in 4GP and +2
John Negrin - 1pt in 18GP and -5
Russ Sinkewich - 0pts in 6GP and +1
James Martin - 0pts in 10GP and -4

So who steps up? I'm hoping for big things from Negrin and Henry. We'll see tonight I guess.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #125
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So far things aren't looking good... Heat down by 2 after 1. Ortio gets the nod after Taylor is pulled.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #126
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howse just hit a guy and then his arm went completely limp. Looks like it could be a break or a dislocation of his shoulder or elbow. Not good.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #127
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Howse just hit a guy and then his arm went completely limp. Looks like it could be a break or a dislocation of his shoulder or elbow. Not good.
I'd like to thank you for this post, but I have a hard time thanking bad news
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #128
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I'd like to thank you for this post, but I have a hard time thanking bad news
Yeah, it looked pretty bad. Poor guy can't catch a break.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #129
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just some notes from tonight's game:

The Good:
- Negrin played very well. He blocked at least three good shots. Good positioning all around.
- Bouma and Aliu are a perfect fit for each other. They complement each other's physicality and it seems like they always know where each other are. I'm liking the loan.
- Ortio played pretty darn good despite the 2 goals he allowed. He made a couple of big saves to keep his team in it. Probably the first time I've actually liked how he looked in net. Maybe all the time put in practice is paying off for him.
- Rheault scored twice and was good as usual.
- Nemisz played quite well even though he was stuck on a line half the game with Desbiens and Blackwater. The other half, he played with Walter and Kolanos and he looked good. Even scored a goal on that line.
- Bancks looked alright in his first game back. I swear he's going to injure himself again the way he plays. You couldn't tell he just came back from an injury haha.

The Bad:
- As I posted above, Howse left the game after he hit a guy. His arm went completely limp and it looked like either a break or a dislocation of some sort. I really feel bad for him because he's been working his ass off lately. Tough break.
- Taylor finally showed that he is human after all. He let in two rather easy goals on seven shots and that's why he was pulled.
- Henry made numerous mistakes in the form of turnovers out there, but also played okay during some parts of the game. Too bad it wasn't him who was traded instead of Mikkelson.
- The refereeing was atrocious. In the AHL, some games there's one ref and in some there's two. Tonight's game only had one and I understand it's difficult seeing everything that's going on, but man he made some awful calls. For example, the Heat were on a PP, the puck got flipped up and Blackwater grabbed the puck with his hand and put it down to his stick and the ref called him for closing his hand on the puck. Very lopsided officiating IMO.
- Ward must've been very disappointed in the effort tonight because he held a closed door meeting after the game. The post-game interviews were delayed, so Nemisz and Walter were late for their interviews. Ward was scheduled for an interview as well, but as far as I know he didn't show up.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #130
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ward did show up for the interview. He said he was late becausee he was talking to the team about a family who had won a contest and who would be around the rink Saturday....just wanted to talk to the team about how to behave, so to speak, with the family around. He did not want to talk much, citing as he usually does, that he has to watch the film of the game. He did say that he didn't like Nemo's game, said he did not play well but he felt that could have been from having not played much while in Calgary.....seemed a bit blunt and sounded bored through the interview which wasnt impressive. He stated he didn't know what happened with Howse and again a strange attitude that seemed like he didn't care.
I thought the Griffins played well and they have quite a young team. The coach really had his team prepared I think as it looked to me like they were trying to shut down Kolanos.
Too bad about Howse, hopefully his injury is not too bad. With the team having so many guys and bringing more in all the time, I think I would have preferred to see Howse lighting it up in the WHL one more year!!
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #131
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ward is in a tough spot right now. Feaster keeps zapping all his assets and he has very little time to restructure with all the movement. Plus he's in the toughest division in the league where every point makes a real difference. I'm not sure what he'd do without that first line of Rheault/Walter/Kolanos. No other trio is clicking with consistency in the forward ranks.

Breen ended up with an assist in the game, and it sounds like Henry and Negrin are the new top d line, is that accurate?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #132
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Ward is in a tough spot right now. Feaster keeps zapping all his assets and he has very little time to restructure with all the movement. Plus he's in the toughest division in the league where every point makes a real difference. I'm not sure what he'd do without that first line of Rheault/Walter/Kolanos. No other trio is clicking with consistency in the forward ranks.

Breen ended up with an assist in the game, and it sounds like Henry and Negrin are the new top d line, is that accurate?
Maybe. I know Breen and Carson started the game so they might be the top D pairing. Not entirely sure.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #133
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

any updates on Howse? Seeing hime leave the game is a concern, especially with his history of shoulder problems ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #134
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
any updates on Howse? Seeing hime leave the game is a concern, especially with his history of shoulder problems ...
Not yet. If there is one it'll probably be vague (upper body injury) and Pinder will let us know in the pre-game show.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #135
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Word last night was a separated shoulder but no update yet.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #136
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pinder just tweeted that he won't play tonight and won't be travelling with the team in the upcoming road trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #137
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Pinder and colour guy are always talking about Kolanos.....why has he not been called up to Calgary? I notice that yes, he doesn't have much of a defensive game but if you get him a pass he seems to be able to score! Same with Rheault, who I actually think is a more complete player. Do these guys just not have NHL potential? Does Calgary feel like they have to draw from their drafted players???
Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #138
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Kolanos' deal is with the heat not the Flames
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #139
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Kolanos' deal is with the heat not the Flames
Ditto Rheault. Both AHL deals
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #140
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So the Flames can't draw from just anyone on the Heat? What about Piskula? He must have a two way deal? I guess I will have to read up on how the contracts work.

Tags
heat