Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #621
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So back in post 581, I wrote a long-winded message about my speed problems with the new plan. Here is an update (if anyone cares).

I had my service call a couple of weeks ago, and the tech came in, tested some levels, ran some speed tests, and luckily I was getting some pretty bad speeds. 160 down, which is fine, but 6 or 7 up, even when directly connected. I also explained that my Hitron modem was experiencing that "dead ethernet port" issue as well, so he brought in a new Motorola modem instead. I had my fingers crossed for one, so I figured that this was the end of my problems. But alas, there was no improvement.

He took out an old splitter on my panel, changed a few ends, etc. and then started to suspect that it was a problem outside of my house. He asked me to meet him in the alley with the modem, and he popped open the box in the alley and we directly connected to that through his Shaw van and laptop. Still no change. He then had to hand it off to the maintenance team so they could come and have a look at it.

Later that evening, long after the tech had left, my TV started going pixelated, and eventually no channels would work. Internet went completely dead. Luckily the maintenance guy was out at the box bright an early the next morning, and did some adjustments in there. He then said that he'd check out the other spots in the neighbourhood and adjust things as necessary.

Ever since then, things have been fine. So it wasn't the modem, but I did get myself a Motorola anyway. That will at least prevent the dead ethernet port issue.

Long story short - the speeds issues were literally outside of my house, and it required a couple of guys to come out to figure it out. I suspect that I have had a weakened signal for years because when I first went to HD, they needed to add an amplifier on my panel. I also had a modem years ago that never really got the job done, so they replaced it to a better model. Perhaps isolated things, but it does make you wonder.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #622
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Anyone know how to connect a devise via wifi-protected setup on the Hitron system? No button on the modem, and it seems to be disabled in the control panel? Is it as simple as getting Shaw to change the settings, to make it so that I click the connect button on screen, or, is there something I'm missing? Everything seems greyed out on that part of the wireless settings menu.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #623
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Called Telus the other day to see what kind of deal I could get in regards to matching what Shaw is currently offering and got a pretty unreal deal.... I was already out of contract with them so I had no requirement to stay, but I received Internet 150 for $37/month for 12 months, and a $26 discount on my TV for the next 12 months (Essentials + Pick 6). So basically I'm going from Optik 25 (currently paying $68/month) to Purefibre 150 and keeping all of my channels the same, while reducing my bill from $140/month to $76/month without having to sign a new contract. Pretty stoked.

Last edited by iggyformayor; 10-17-2016 at 10:26 AM.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #624
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else noticed streaming issues on the new 150 plan? My Netflix dropped to 240p last night, and there have been other streaming issues with YouTube as well.

Edit - Feels like they might be throttling streaming services

Last edited by Top Shelf; 11-02-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #625
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not on the 150 plan but my Shaw internet has been brutally slow the past two days. Constant buffering on Netflix, web pages won't load, apps that require internet access won't run. Etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #626
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What does fast.com say? I have had slow downs too, but a unplug and reboot of modem and router flushes it out.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #627
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Anyone else noticed streaming issues on the new 150 plan? My Netflix dropped to 240p last night, and there have been other streaming issues with YouTube as well.

Edit - Feels like they might be throttling streaming services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm not on the 150 plan but my Shaw internet has been brutally slow the past two days. Constant buffering on Netflix, web pages won't load, apps that require internet access won't run. Etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
What does fast.com say? I have had slow downs too, but a unplug and reboot of modem and router flushes it out.
I have been seeing on Twitter and in a Tuscany Facebook group that a lot of people are complaining of intermittent service up that way for the past few days. I live there too, but mine has been fine. Are either of you up there by chance?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #628
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in Tuscany. Haven't been home the past two evenings so I'm not sure of the current state at our house. It's frustrating though as the kids are not able to do much of their homework etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #629
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm in Tuscany as well. Might be a local thing then.

Edit - No issues with anything else, super fast download speeds. Fast.com says 140.

Still having youtube buffering issues today

Last edited by Top Shelf; 11-03-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #630
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So back in post 581, I wrote a long-winded message about my speed problems with the new plan. Here is an update (if anyone cares).

I had my service call a couple of weeks ago, and the tech came in, tested some levels, ran some speed tests, and luckily I was getting some pretty bad speeds. 160 down, which is fine, but 6 or 7 up, even when directly connected. I also explained that my Hitron modem was experiencing that "dead ethernet port" issue as well, so he brought in a new Motorola modem instead. I had my fingers crossed for one, so I figured that this was the end of my problems. But alas, there was no improvement.

He took out an old splitter on my panel, changed a few ends, etc. and then started to suspect that it was a problem outside of my house. He asked me to meet him in the alley with the modem, and he popped open the box in the alley and we directly connected to that through his Shaw van and laptop. Still no change. He then had to hand it off to the maintenance team so they could come and have a look at it.

Later that evening, long after the tech had left, my TV started going pixelated, and eventually no channels would work. Internet went completely dead. Luckily the maintenance guy was out at the box bright an early the next morning, and did some adjustments in there. He then said that he'd check out the other spots in the neighbourhood and adjust things as necessary.

Ever since then, things have been fine. So it wasn't the modem, but I did get myself a Motorola anyway. That will at least prevent the dead ethernet port issue.

Long story short - the speeds issues were literally outside of my house, and it required a couple of guys to come out to figure it out. I suspect that I have had a weakened signal for years because when I first went to HD, they needed to add an amplifier on my panel. I also had a modem years ago that never really got the job done, so they replaced it to a better model. Perhaps isolated things, but it does make you wonder.
When I initially changed plans I had slow down issues as well. they sent out a tech who changed out all the ends, splitter, etc... Finally he found a filter on the incoming wire - at the pole, across the alley. He removed that and since then my speed has been bang on.

(
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #631
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since the first couple weeks of 100-170 Mbps I haven't got over 70. And it's always around 65-70 so I don't know what changed.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #632
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if the following information helps anyone, but when I was at the Sunridge Mall Shaw location today, the guy I spoke with said they are out of inventory of the Hitron and "unfortunately" I will get a Cisco.

I am now swapping out my purchased Hitron for the Cisco. (Not that I had major issues with the Hitron, but everyone seemed more excited to get the Cisco)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #633
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a real advantage to having the Cisco modem?

I'm running a Hitron, and it's bridged, so I'm not using any of it's functionality aside from it being just a modem.

Haven't had any real speed issues...NHL GameCentre likes to buffer and scale down the quality sometimes (noticed it more than with Telus 25), but that could be my wifi or the Chromecast as well.

Sometimes speed tests will start off slow and then jump to 175-180, but I've never had issues with getting to 150+ speeds.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #634
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a documented problem with the Hitrons where the ethernet ports go dead (well, more like sleeping) which requires a power cycle or a remote reboot from Shaw in order to get it going again. This happened at home and at work (both Hitrons, both bridged), which was a drag as we have people accessing the office remotely.

Shaw swapped my Hitron for a Cisco at home, which resolved the occasional but annoying problem. Apparently there is a firmware fix coming (or maybe it has already arrived). We haven't had the problem at work for a few weeks now.

I'm not sure about any other issues or reasons, but that one issue was/is a big one for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #635
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PC slows down periodically, but I think that's a Windows 10 thing. 9 times out of 10 a PC reboot gets my speed back to ~175/16. The tenth time usually requires a power cycle of the modem and my own router.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #636
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
My PC slows down periodically, but I think that's a Windows 10 thing. 9 times out of 10 a PC reboot gets my speed back to ~175/16. The tenth time usually requires a power cycle of the modem and my own router.
So true though. Whenever a friend, family member, or co-worker asks me to help them, we start here. And most of the time that's the end of it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #637
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #638
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Shaw PVR system is the biggest piece of junk I've ever used. Always misses episodes and series I want recorded.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #639
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
The Shaw PVR system is the biggest piece of junk I've ever used. Always misses episodes and series I want recorded.
Call Shaw.

The UI leaves something to be desired, but we haven't had any major issues.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #640
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I've noticed it's usually how the channels are coding their episodes too.

For example, they won't tag an episode as new, so it doesn't get picked up by the PVR.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150