Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #81
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's a very solid line-up, love it top to bottom. I would just maybe swap out Lazar and Ferland if Ferland can keep up with those two guys. He's deadly when he's on his game.
It was hard to moveFeland down, but Gulutzan has said he strongly believes in the RH shot versus LH shot stuff, so Lazar on the top line sort of makes sense. Personally, I really like Ferland up top. Brings all the things missing on that line, but in the Gulutzan system, he may be better with Bennett.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #82
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

IMO, Bennett's best possibility of future success is playing as a winger. As others have mentioned, he doesn't seem suited for Center, given his predilection for trying to do it all by himself. As a winger, I think he'd feel free to play his game. My longish term prediction is that Jankowski is going to be a very effective top 9 C on this team and Bennett is going to be a 55-70 pt winger with a lot of grit and the ability to fill in at Center when required.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #83
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't think Lazar has shown anything in his career that would indicate he's a top line player. I think he's one of the least likely options to play with Gaudreau/Monahan. 4th line centre would seem to be his ideal role on the team long term IMO. I think he has 3rd line upside but with our centre depth he'll always get pushed to 4th line centre when we're healthy. I do think he could play 3rd line RW but it's hard to fit him there when everyone is healthy
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #84
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Can someone explain to me what about Bennett's play makes him a strong centre? I was under the impression that the qualities that earmark a centre are:

* Vision

* Puck distribution

* Defensive awareness and responsibility

Those qualities don't jump out at me when I watch Bennett play.
I'd say what I bolded is the #1 priority of a centre. Gone are the days of LW Bob Gainey handling this. When he masters this he'll get more ice time to pad his stats.

When comparing
Bennett with Monahan, Monahan had a lot less competition at the centre spot. I think even Bouma was getting time at centre.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-09-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #85
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is currently no battle for the 3rd line centre. Right now it is Bennett as #3, Stajan as #4 and Jankowski as #5. Janko will be given every opportunity to pass Stajan however.

There may be a third line battle between Bennett and Jankowski in a year or two and in that case one of them will need to convert to the wing or be traded for a winger.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #86
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don't think Lazar has shown anything in his career that would indicate he's a top line player.
You mean unlike Ferland, prior to the middle of last season?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #87
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski has to prove he belongs in the NHL. Until he has some success in the big league, he doesn't push anyone around on the depth chart.

There are lots of players who had more going for them than Jankowski does and failed in the NHL. I hope he does well, but I think he is over-rated by many here. He has played 6 years of hockey since he was drafted and only has 1 NHL game to his credit. Most players in that situation don't have lengthy NHL careers.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #88
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You mean unlike Ferland, prior to the middle of last season?
Wrong. Ferland saw some time with Monahan/Gaudreau while Hartley was still here and I thought he easily looked like the best fit with them that year. He showed glimpses of what he was going to do this year and that's why some of us were very bullish on him. He showed good passing, vision, chemistry and complemented Gaudreau's weaknesses
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:53 AM   #89
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Jankowski as 4th line centre, and let him ease into being an NHL centre, or as a winger his first year. It's not realistic IMO for him to step into a 3C role
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
There are lots of players who had more going for them than Jankowski does and failed in the NHL. I hope he does well, but I think he is over-rated by many here. He has played 6 years of hockey since he was drafted and only has 1 NHL game to his credit. Most players in that situation don't have lengthy NHL careers.
Oh, the hyperbole. Jankowski was drafted in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #91
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh, the hyperbole. Jankowski was drafted in 2012.
so... 5 years not 6....
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #92
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kind of silly to use Jankowski's slow development as a slight on him when he was drafted as a skinny prospect out of Quebec prep school and when drafted was thought to be needing 5 years of development.

Basically he's right on track. Development has gone as planned and as expected. If you're knocking him based on that you didn't really understand the situation
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #93
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of silly to use Jankowski's slow development as a slight on him when he was drafted as a skinny prospect out of Quebec prep school and when drafted was thought to be needing 5 years of development.

Basically he's right on track. Development has gone as planned and as expected. If you're knocking him based on that you didn't really understand the situation
I've got my mind made up, don't confuse me with the facts!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #94
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

not sure if this was directed at me or not...

my comment was based on calling the difference between 6 years and 5 years hyperbolic... as opposed to say, an honest mistake...

as you said janko's development is on track to what most expected, not faster than expected, but not slower either
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #95
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
not sure if this was directed at me or not...
No, it related to Eric Vail's post earlier, sorry for the confusion

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #96
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jankowski pushes Bennett for the 3 spot that would be a very good sign how prepared he is for this leap or not. Personally I would like Bennett on the wing anyways.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #97
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I've been talked into switching Stajan to the wing!!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #98
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, it related to Eric Vail's post earlier, sorry for the confusion
I hope Jankowski has a 10+ year career with the Flames as a 2nd/3rd line centre. I think it is just as likely that he washes out without making an impact.

He is a prospect who hasn't proven anything in the NHL.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope Jankowski has a 10+ year career with the Flames as a 2nd/3rd line centre. I think it is just as likely that he washes out without making an impact.

I don't think it's just as likely he washes out anymore. He's played a year of pro hockey now and was pretty dominant as a 22 year old rookie. His offense translated and that is a great sign IMO.

If he'd done what he did last year but was 5'8 170lbs, or if he was a terrible skater, I'd be much more reluctant to pencil him in as an NHLer. But he's not, he's 6'4 215lbs and skates really well.

Size won't hold him back, skating won't hold him back. I think at worst he will be a defensively strong 3rd/4th line C in the NHL now. More likely a decent 2-way #2C though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #100
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

But he did prove to have a really good first professional season, which is much better than nothing. Jankowski's recent progression actually fairly strongly suggests that he will be a NHL player, and probably a pretty good one.

The point here being that one cannot simply extrapolate from the long duration of his development to conclude that he is likely to wash out of the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote