Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #341
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Honestly, no. Unless the Liberals convince someone to cross in the next few days, they will lose a confidence vote. If they convince someone to cross after that, then they can bring down the NDP on another confidence vote, but there's no way the Lieutenant Governor can - even if legally able to - allow that Legislature to stand. They would have to call an election.
So then yes they can bribe someone with a cabinet post to bring them over to their side and form a majority...
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #342
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Only if the pull it off before the NDP and Greens pull the rug out from under them yes.

But a floor crossing right now is about as likely as the Flames trading for Alex Ovechkin with a package led by Troy Brouwer. It would be career suicide for any NDP politician that tried.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #343
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Haha would it? Seems like they would be a hero, depending on who's side you look at.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #344
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Floor crossers rarely fare well in subsequent elections. Unless you have a rather high personal popularity rating and/or the situation is rather extreme - Rob Anderson after his first crossing might be an example of both - you generally end up distrusted by all sides.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #345
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Haha would it? Seems like they would be a hero, depending on who's side you look at.
No, both sides see them as a rat bastard that cant be trusted
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #346
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No, both sides see them as a rat bastard that cant be trusted
I don't know. A single floor crosser is a tragedy. But a single floor crosser that can spell the difference between governing party and non-governing party coul have a special place in the Liberals heart.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #347
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't know. A single floor crosser is a tragedy. But a single floor crosser that can spell the difference between governing party and non-governing party coul have a special place in the Liberals heart.
Only until a by election win or two gives them enough breathing space to take them down to the end of the garden back by the wood shed
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #348
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Floor crossers are the worst, no matter which parties are involved. It takes a special stretch of ego to pretend that their constituents actually voted for Joe Blow the person instead of Joe Blow the ____ party candidate.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #349
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #350
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is also tremendous animosity between the parties. This like the wild rose luring away an ndp member.

I anticipate this government lasts longer than most in part due to the laborious process if trying to pass substantial legislation through the summer.

The proportional representation thing that is a green priority will take some time to execute. After they get that, all bets are off.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #351
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Ceci tried this already. The courts will just grant an injunction and move along.
What did he try and do? I've been wondering whether something like this could be possible. 50% of BC gas crosses Alberta to get to market... (though it would be AB companies affected)

Hey if BC politicians can make obstructionist threats not supported by constitutional law - so can ours...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #352
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If she can get an agreement from BC that doesn't involve a revenue rape of Alberta then she has something that she can go to the podium with and a wave of good will, her chances are better.
See the Newfoundland-Labrador/Quebec Churchill Falls contract.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #353
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What did he try and do? I've been wondering whether something like this could be possible. 50% of BC gas crosses Alberta to get to market... (though it would be AB companies affected)

Hey if BC politicians can make obstructionist threats not supported by constitutional law - so can ours...
Notley and Ceci tried to introduce protectionist taxation schemes designed to punish out of province/region beer producers. The courts issued an injunction against it on the basis they were unconstitutional restraint on interprovincial trade.

They are trying again - by taxing everyone equally but offering rebates for local producers. The exact same differential taxation scheme now coupled with a cynical attempt to do an end-run around the constitution. This one is still currently in effect, but there was a hearing yesterday about the legality of it. No result from that yet, but as NDP fiscal policy so often does, this taxation scheme has had devastating effects on producers and retailers from both within Alberta and without.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #354
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty timely article to my earlier point on Notley playing hard

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...tough-with-b-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Braid
Braid: In pipeline dispute, Alberta has ways to get tough with B.C.

The first step would be to stop shipments through the existing Kinder Morgan pipeline to the B.C. Interior and Lower Mainland.

Almost 90 per cent of the fuel for Vancouver and the southern coast comes out of that pipeline, either as gasoline or crude to be refined.

Kinder Morgan is also a major supplier of gasoline to Kamloops and the wider interior. In a separate operation, the company pipes jet fuel to Vancouver Airport.

Imagine the progress if all that was cut off — car-free streets, silent skies, parked transport trucks, happy strolls to pick up the kids and the groceries. Such a blessing!

The Alberta government could actually do something like that. In fact, it already has.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #355
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Notley and Ceci tried to introduce protectionist taxation schemes designed to punish out of province/region beer producers. The courts issued an injunction against it on the basis they were unconstitutional restraint on interprovincial trade.

They are trying again - by taxing everyone equally but offering rebates for local producers. The exact same differential taxation scheme now coupled with a cynical attempt to do an end-run around the constitution. This one is still currently in effect, but there was a hearing yesterday about the legality of it. No result from that yet, but as NDP fiscal policy so often does, this taxation scheme has had devastating effects on producers and retailers from both within Alberta and without.
Didn't that legislation fail because some of the imported beer labels were actually manufactured locally?

I think that the easiest way to hurt BC for example is to realign the carbon tax which currently makes imported goods carbon tax exempt, in effect putting Alberta made goods at a price disadvantage. Adjust it so that goods coming into the province have to pay carbon tax based on the need to transport the goods to market.

I also think that it would be entirely legal to put cross border vehicle inspections in place, especially in light of how many Alberta trucks failed safety inspections.

Basically create a cross border inspection point, and bill the BC companies $100.00 a inspection, and if it lines up and goods go bad, that's the way it is.

I don't mind the idea of tax rebates for Alberta made goods in direct competition with BC goods, but the managing of that could be a nightmare.

Also the article below of turning shipments to BC off in terms of things like Oil and Gas harkens back to the let the bastards freeze in the dark. A friend of mine who's even more nutty then me suggested that we shut down all oil and gas production in Alberta for the span of two years and only produce for local business. Make this province a have not province and put as many people on the Federal Unemployment program as possible. That's a little Machiavellian for my tastes though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #356
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I thought I had written this yesterday but I guess I didn't click post... The three Green MLA's realistically cannot be a member of every legislative committee which means that there are going to be a lot of committee's in the BC legislature that either have a BC Liberal as it's chair or in which the BC Liberals will have a voting majority (since the chair only votes in a tie).

Depending on how much the BC Liberals want to be obstructionist it's going to be very hard for the NDP/Greens to govern effectively.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #357
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Pretty timely article to my earlier point on Notley playing hard

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...tough-with-b-c
Yesssss
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #358
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Braid
Braid: In pipeline dispute, Alberta has ways to get tough with B.C.

The first step would be to stop shipments through the existing Kinder Morgan pipeline to the B.C. Interior and Lower Mainland.

Almost 90 per cent of the fuel for Vancouver and the southern coast comes out of that pipeline, either as gasoline or crude to be refined.

Kinder Morgan is also a major supplier of gasoline to Kamloops and the wider interior. In a separate operation, the company pipes jet fuel to Vancouver Airport.
That action would head to provincial courts and eventually the Supreme Court of Canada. I think Alberta would lose the challenges in lower courts and the Supreme Court. Newfoundland-Labrador tried to divert water from Churchill Falls and lost in court.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #359
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
That action would head to provincial courts and eventually the Supreme Court of Canada. I think Alberta would lose the challenges in lower courts and the Supreme Court. Newfoundland-Labrador tried to divert water from Churchill Falls and lost in court.
You don't have to win. A 20 cent hike in gas price for a few weeks and gas shortages really shows the value of pipelines
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #360
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Wouldn't Alberta be able to pull out the whole, "Sorry its our stuff and we choose not to send it to you defense"

Also known as the government shrugging their shoulders and saying "Sorry man we don't control the energy companies and how and where they choose to sell their products defense"

This I think is different from diverting water by the government.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote