Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #2001
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This video is exactly the type of thing that will start changing attitudes. Public awareness campaigns like I've mentioned before in this thread. Much like it took a long time to change attitudes toward tobacco, it will take campaigns like this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #2002
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This video is exactly the type of thing that will start changing attitudes. Public awareness campaigns like I've mentioned before in this thread. Much like it took a long time to change attitudes toward tobacco, it will take campaigns like this.

The problem with America is that the average person simply isn't on board with change, and are part of the problem, even if they don't see it that way.

Even those that hate guns and what they've done to their country respond with "well, it ain't changing so there's no point worrying about it", or they come up with justifications to not worry about going after the issue down there.

Basically with Americans you have individuals who support guns at the worst to individuals who are jaded and apathetic to gun issues at the best. It's very scary. You need opposition, and based on reading very reasonable posters on CP and the general sentiment of reasonable Americans elsewhere, the strong opposition isn't coming, they just don't care because they see it as a lost cause.

The sad thing is, it isn't a lost cause, almost nothing ever is, but the only thing that does truly lead to something being a lost cause is when the voices of reason comes together and claim something to be a lost cause.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-28-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #2003
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The problem with America is that the average person simply isn't on board with change, and are part of the problem, even if they don't see it that way.

Even those that hate guns and what they've done to their country respond with "well, it ain't changing so there's no point worrying about it", or they come up with justifications to not worry about going after the issue down there.

Basically with Americans you have individuals who support guns at the worst to individuals who are jaded and apathetic to gun issues at the best. It's very scary. You need opposition, and based on reading very reasonable posters on CP and the general sentiment of reasonable Americans elsewhere, the strong opposition isn't coming, they just don't care because they see it as a lost cause.

The sad thing is, it isn't a lost cause, almost nothing ever is, but the only thing that does truly lead to something being a lost cause is when the voices of reason comes together and claim something to be a lost cause.
Here's the thing: Americans by and large are on board with change, on board with universal, mandatory background checks on all gun sales. Plenty are on board with the idea of an annual gun registration. Plenty are on board with giving up guns altogether.

But the NRA has deep pockets and is more than happy to line those of the politicians who actually have the power to change anything.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #2004
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Here's the thing: Americans by and large are on board with change, on board with universal, mandatory background checks on all gun sales. Plenty are on board with the idea of an annual gun registration. Plenty are on board with giving up guns altogether.

But the NRA has deep pockets and is more than happy to line those of the politicians who actually have the power to change anything.
The gutless shooter in Virginia passed a background check.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ints-live.html

Quote:
Flanagan legally purchased the gun, the US Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives confirmed and said that a background check on him was completed
Here's a list of other dirtbags to pass their background checks...

John Russell Houser (Lafayette)
Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez (Chattanooga)
Dylann Roof (Charleston)
Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi (Garland)
Jared and Amanda Miller (Las Vegas)
Elliot Rodger (Santa Barabara)
Ivan Lopez (Fort Hood 2014)
Darion Marcus Aguilar (Maryland mall)
Karl Halverson Pierson (Arapahoe High School)
Paul Ciancia (LAX)
Andrew John Engeldinger (Minneapolis)
Aaron Alexis (DC Navy Yard)
Tennis Melvin Maynard (West Virginia)
Wade Michael Page (Sikh Temple)
James Holmes (Aurora theater)
Jared Loughner (Tucson)
Nidal Hasan (Fort Hood 2009)
Jiverly Wong (Binghamton)
Seung-Hui Cho (Virginia Tech)
Naveed Haq (Seattle)
Mark Barton (Atlanta)

The Charleston shooter passed his background check when the ATF ran his name from a different state altogether instead of S. Carolina. His prior history prohibited him from possession of firearms.

Rodger had legal registered handguns in California, and after his room mates called police to check out his violent, erratic behaviour and seven officers showed up, not one had the presence of mind to run his name against the registry. If they had they could have confiscated his handguns.

More legislation doesn't seem to be the answer to bureaucratic ineptitude.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #2005
jayswin

Exp:

Correct. It will take much more than stricter background checks to change the gun culture in the United States.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-28-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #2006
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Correct. It will take much more than stricter background checks to change the gun culture in the United States.
It's a social issue. It's a mental health issue. It's a wealth disparity issue.

You can look at several countries that have all of those issues in check, with very liberal gun laws and there is not a problem.

Certain countries with very strict laws right up to complete firearms prohibitions have extremely high rates of firearm crime.

I think some certain controls work, but there is a deeper issue in the US that is driving firearm crime and I don't see a magic legislative bullet per say that will solve their woes.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #2007
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe (D) also called for mandatory background checks...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a40aa3acea2f

...while the loser who committed his crime with a legally purchased firearm was still evading police.

Last edited by 2Stonedbirds; 08-30-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #2008
jayswin

Exp:

Well I for one am shocked that the guy with a huge assault rife in his avatar believes guns aren't an issue. Absolutely shocked.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #2009
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well I for one am shocked that the guy with a huge assault rife in his avatar believes guns aren't an issue. Absolutely shocked.
I'm sorry, did you have something to contribute?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #2010
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

He did actually.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #2011
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, he didn't address any of my points, but simply made an ad hominem.

Nice of you to stand up for him though.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #2012
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just who I am.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #2013
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
No, he didn't address any of my points, but simply made an ad hominem.

Nice of you to stand up for him though.
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #2014
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin
Care to fill me in MarchHare? Or should we stay on topic?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #2015
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You can look at several countries that have all of those issues in check, with very liberal gun laws and there is not a problem.

Certain countries with very strict laws right up to complete firearms prohibitions have extremely high rates of firearm crime.

I think some certain controls work, but there is a deeper issue in the US that is driving firearm crime and I don't see a magic legislative bullet per say that will solve their woes.
It's not magic, it's called guts.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 AM   #2016
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I'm just curious...would that actually DO anything to the majority of the guns in the pile beyond being somewhat symbolic in nature? I look at the pic and see that the steamroller doesn't appear to be sinking into the pile at all.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #2017
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Repeal the 2nd amendment. Only thing that'll work in the long run.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #2018
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Isn't US gun violence down in the past 20 years?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #2019
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Isn't US gun violence down in the past 20 years?
Yes, down by 49% since 1993.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #2020
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We are talking about wealthy, western nations. America is staggeringly bad in the area of gun violence compared to it's peers.

You can't exactly compare America to the Congo.
Closed Thread