Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #201
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't see it ever being economic to buy anything but the lowest seer unit for Calgary, as the payback period would be astronomical and almost certainly a negative PV use of cash... With that said, I got a 16 seer with a sound blanket for noise reduction purposes... So I think the seer rating is less important in our climate than noise rating is.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #202
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Yeah i ran the numbers based on usage and 2 times the current price of power, and it would take 12 years to make up the cost difference between a 13 seer and 16 seer.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #203
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last weekend I got a quote for central AC, about $4500 installed for a 2.5 ton unit.

It's about $1,000 more for a heat pump. Does anyone know how to calculate the potential savings using a heat pump vs a regular AC unit (specific to Calgary)? I asked how common they are in Calgary and they said they are becoming more common, but he didn't know what the savings would be. I'd be interested in spending the extra $1k if it meant a decent savings on the monthly utilities but not sure what the numbers look like since heat pumps aren't too common here
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #204
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Last weekend I got a quote for central AC, about $4500 installed for a 2.5 ton unit.

It's about $1,000 more for a heat pump. Does anyone know how to calculate the potential savings using a heat pump vs a regular AC unit (specific to Calgary)? I asked how common they are in Calgary and they said they are becoming more common, but he didn't know what the savings would be. I'd be interested in spending the extra $1k if it meant a decent savings on the monthly utilities but not sure what the numbers look like since heat pumps aren't too common here
I had two York 13 seer units installed for $5950 + tax. You might want to get some more quotes. Edit: This was in July 2015 however I don't think prices have gone up that much. Send me a PM if you are interested in who I used.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #205
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

I had a 2.5 ton unit at 16 seer installed a few months ago for a few hundred less than your quote. Partially because my basement is a finished basement, the labour was a little bit higher because a bit of time was spent fishing cables across 40 ft of finished ceiling. I believe the unit I have is a Goodman.

No idea on the heat pump. But I doubt the savings are worth it.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #206
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been hearing a weird noise coming from my furnace over the last couple of nights. My house typically cools off enough overnight that the A/C doesn't kick in until around 2 in the afternoon at which point it runs pretty consistently until around 10pm to cool the house down to around 22c. Around 7 or so in the evening I start to hear a rattling noise coming from the furnace. It kind of sounds like something is in the duct and is floating in the air flow bouncing off the ducting walls. Anyone know what could be going on?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #207
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could you install the heat pump later once you get a sense of how much it costs to run the ac unit?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #208
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My installer has advised me to let the ac run constantly and not fiddle with the temps. I disagree. If the house isn't occupied I change the settings so it doesn't run, just as I do in winter with the heat settings. I'm away now for two weeks and the system is shut down. My daughter's house has the same make and they run it constantly using the same installer's questionable advice. I was alone at their house recently and they were at work. The place was cold and I wished I had had a sweater. We both have Lennox units. Comments?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #209
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

The advice these days, is that it's better to run the machine on longer cycles and less start/stop on the system. That means that it runs all the time, but they can use smaller units to cool larger homes. That also means that if you turn your air on you can only expect about 0.5 - 1 deg C of cooling per hour. A large machine may also freeze up easier, from what I have been told but that doesn't make as much sense to me as long as it's installed correctly.

Example: my house has a 3 ton unit for a little less than 2500sqft zoned system, but I really only use it to cool the upper floor and the air spreads down to the main.

When we went away last weekend I turned it up to 23, and when I got home it took about 4 hours to cool down to 21ish.

MoneyGuy, I think if you are away for two weeks, it is smart to shut down your system. If you are just going to work, you should have a programmable thermostat to turn the system back on an hour or so before you come home, so yes much like your winter approach.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #210
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've been hearing a weird noise coming from my furnace over the last couple of nights. My house typically cools off enough overnight that the A/C doesn't kick in until around 2 in the afternoon at which point it runs pretty consistently until around 10pm to cool the house down to around 22c. Around 7 or so in the evening I start to hear a rattling noise coming from the furnace. It kind of sounds like something is in the duct and is floating in the air flow bouncing off the ducting walls. Anyone know what could be going on?
I'd ask the installer or an HVAC guy to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My installer has advised me to let the ac run constantly and not fiddle with the temps. I disagree. If the house isn't occupied I change the settings so it doesn't run, just as I do in winter with the heat settings. I'm away now for two weeks and the system is shut down. My daughter's house has the same make and they run it constantly using the same installer's questionable advice. I was alone at their house recently and they were at work. The place was cold and I wished I had had a sweater. We both have Lennox units. Comments?
I never received any such suggestion from my installer. He did mention the two main reasons for AC units to fail is setting the temperature too low and having a unit too small for the home.

I don't run AC when I'm not at home. I have a nest and away mode triggers. I turn it on around the time I get home and let it run until I hit the targeted temperature.

When I was away for a week, I set my thermostat on eco mode and AC was completely off all that time. The same happens in Winter, so it's not a big deal.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #211
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'd ask the installer or an HVAC guy to look into it.

I never received any such suggestion from my installer. He did mention the two main reasons for AC units to fail is setting the temperature too low and having a unit too small for the home.

I don't run AC when I'm not at home. I have a nest and away mode triggers. I turn it on around the time I get home and let it run until I hit the targeted temperature.

When I was away for a week, I set my thermostat on eco mode and AC was completely off all that time. The same happens in Winter, so it's not a big deal.
What would be too low do you think? I have mine set at 23 deg but wouldn't mind a degree or two cooler.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #212
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was just researching this today but established a window unit for the bedroom is all needed for the 2 weeks we need it
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cgycowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #213
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone know roughly what it costs for a unit for 1500sqft home
Old 07-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #214
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
Does anyone know roughly what it costs for a unit for 1500sqft home
That's our house size and I don't recall the cost but it's a lot. We got a top-of-the-line Lennox unit. Might have been over $4,000 if I recall correctly.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #215
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That's our house size and I don't recall the cost but it's a lot. We got a top-of-the-line Lennox unit. Might have been over $4,000 if I recall correctly.
4000 just doesn't seem worth it

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4000 just doesn't seem worth it

I agree with that...until you get it. Then it seems worth every penny to me. It's basically a one-time outlay.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #217
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree with that...until you get it. Then it seems worth every penny to me. It's basically a one-time outlay.
But it's not. Now you have an extra monthly cost for the usage

Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #218
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

But aren't almost all CP'rs in the top 99 per cent of income earners anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #219
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it's not. Now you have an extra monthly cost for the usage

Yeah I suppose that is true. I had mine installed when I moved in so I basically never knew the difference to begin with. I'm not sure how much of an impact it makes in terms of usage as a result. But I can remember the impact it makes for things like sleeping!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #220
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just had mine installed yesterday. I don't think I've ever slept so well at home in the summer
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote