Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About Roofing Shingles

So out house is now 15 yrs old and the shingles are looking ratty, lots of crap in the evestrough and last night I noticed water leaking down the wall of my garage, hard to tell exactly where it was coming from.

My house is a typical 1800 sq ft place in new Brighton. Priced out shingles before and was quoted something like $9,000 ish for the typical 25 yr ones, about $12,000 for the 50 year.

Anyone on here look into rubber or metal roofing? I am thinking likely somewhere around $15,000 a but that is a wild ass guess based on the prices above.

Looking to hear insights, thoughts, experiences or if you have recommendations on who to contact or stay away from,
Old 06-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

If you plan on owning the home for the next 15+ years, rubber/metal/slate is a good option, but I'm guessing you are looking North of $15k for these options. Even the 50 year would be a better option, less chance of having damage for wind or hail. And if you want to avoid insurance claims in general I'd recommend steel eaves trough and trying to stay away from softer metals on the roof where possible.

If you have any names feel free to shoot me a PM and I can give my opinion on them.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Anyone on here look into rubber or metal roofing? I am thinking likely somewhere around $15,000 a but that is a wild ass guess based on the prices above.

Looking to hear insights, thoughts, experiences or if you have recommendations on who to contact or stay away from,
My very recent quotes for rubber (Euroshield) were approximately 2x the quotes for good quality fibreglass composite shingles. So for you, that could be somewhere from $18k up. That's for the cheaper (lightweight) rubber, as well. The heavier weight ones were quoted approx another 20% higher than that. The two things that ruled out Euroshield for us were the limited colour selection and some questions about how well the company deals with warranty issues on this still relatively new product. We wanted something more time-tested.

We talked to one metal roof vendor as well (will give you the name by PM if you want). This was the only type of metal I looked into because we didn't like the look, but it was very expensive and I wasn't a fan of their sales pitch.

Ultimately we chose to replace our current concrete tile with a similar product. For us, it's about the same cost as rubber would have been because we could use the less expensive "heavy" concrete tiles (roof was engineered for them). But for a New Brighton roof (re-roof job) you'd likely need to use the more expensive "lightweight" concrete tiles if you wanted this.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

On my house being built for me the metal roof cost $19,570.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't a metal roof get dented in hail and be really loud in the rain?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently got my roof done, and I went through the same sort of process.

I found that rubber and metal seemed to cost too much for what they offered over asphalt shingles. I also found their sales people to be very pushy and annoying (one guy told me using asphalt shingles was equivalent to using a newspaper...) - that always raises alarm bells with me as a good product should sell itself.

In the end I went for higher quality asphalt shingles, which I think gave me good quality without breaking the bank. Got Malarkey Legacy shingles, which gave a 50 year warranty and had a class 4 impact rating (good for up to 2" hail), and the total cost was just a bit under $9,000. I'd say my house is roughly equal size to yours, though we do have shallow angles, which meant less material than other houses with steeper pitches.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm curious about the roofing warranty. How is this warrantied? Is it a scam or do the companies actually follow suit? If you went with a reputable Shingler, do they reimburse labour and materials?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to expand this thread a little. We just received our home insurance renewal (TD Melloche Monnex) and they have introduced an optional 'hail and wind' feature whereby you can decrease your overall premiums by increasing your deductable on damage due to hail and wind. Something that does carry some appeal in Calgary no doubt. So good roofing materials can/do have a positive effect on premiums. On top of that, it believe even if a policy holder opted not to take this option and keep everything under a 'regular' policy I believe the grade/class of shingle will also have an effect on premiums. I would need to double check to be sure but our policy does specifically mention Class 4 shingles (I just don't remember in what context).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would not get a metal roof in Southern Alberta.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I'm curious about the roofing warranty. How is this warrantied? Is it a scam or do the companies actually follow suit? If you went with a reputable Shingler, do they reimburse labour and materials?
had a guy from iko look at my roof last year to see what the chances of a warranty claims were (we are the original home owners, with all the paperwork), and he told me you need to remove a section of shingles that are a certain size and send it to the manufacturer for analysis.

he said, most of the roofs around my place were all in about the same condition and likely 1-3 yrs away from being replaced.

if I do have to get the roof done shortly, I'd imagine we will go for something in the $10,000 range - and hope that it lasts for the duration of the time we live in the house.

have noticed more houses around us having their roofs done over the last year.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Our roofing warranty was useless.

You have to take some sample shingles out, send them off, and the company decides if they were defective. If they were deemed an issue they'd provide a pro rated equivalent amount of product. So if you buy a new roof with their shingles they'd provide something like 25% of the product for free. No labour or other costs.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Going to resurrect this thread. I have a rental property which I am planning to hold for another 3 - 5 years but my roof is looking like it won't survive. The house is getting close to knock-down territory and most of the value is with the land (corner lot).

I am trying to get renters in there next month but think I need to address the roof while I don't have anyone in there. Any recommendations on a cost effective way to replace the roof to get another 5 - 10 years out of it? Any recommendations on companies?
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #13
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof
Old 04-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

He said cost effective.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must we?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Would not get a metal roof in Southern Alberta.
What's your issue against metal roofs ?
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #17
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd123 View Post
What's your issue against metal roofs ?
In southern Alberta?

Hail damage, cosmetic or otherwise.

I think it looks bad when they get all dented up.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
In the end I went for higher quality asphalt shingles, which I think gave me good quality without breaking the bank. Got Malarkey Legacy shingles, which gave a 50 year warranty and had a class 4 impact rating (good for up to 2" hail), and the total cost was just a bit under $9,000. I'd say my house is roughly equal size to yours, though we do have shallow angles, which meant less material than other houses with steeper pitches.

Hope that helps!

We just had our roof done in Sept with these. IMO the best of both worlds. In reality these are Hybrid Asphalt and rubber. Thus the warranty rating.

I highly recommend this type of roofing.

(we used Stalwart Roofing)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #19
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm going to expand this thread a little. We just received our home insurance renewal (TD Melloche Monnex) and they have introduced an optional 'hail and wind' feature whereby you can decrease your overall premiums by increasing your deductable on damage due to hail and wind. Something that does carry some appeal in Calgary no doubt. So good roofing materials can/do have a positive effect on premiums. On top of that, it believe even if a policy holder opted not to take this option and keep everything under a 'regular' policy I believe the grade/class of shingle will also have an effect on premiums. I would need to double check to be sure but our policy does specifically mention Class 4 shingles (I just don't remember in what context).
Do you recall the savings? I am with them, and got a notice on my recent renewal that because of the age of my roof any new roof claim would be at a prorated value based on the age of the roof.

Even if you figure a new roof is $10k (wild guess based on upthread) if they're only going to give me half of that less my $1k deductible that's getting close to the point where the increase in premiums would have me not making a claim. So might as well decide to self insure for hail damage and take a discount if its meaningful.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #20
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kinda off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread:

We bought a house back in 2016 and at the time were lead the believe the previous owners had at some point replaced the roof, and they only lived here for 5 years. That would likely put the roof vintage no older than 2011.

I must of said 2012 to the insurance company, but they must of heard 2002 as that's what they have on file somehow. They've told me that at 20 years old they won't insure it anymore - so it's up to me to find out the actual age of the roof.

Is there any easy way to go about this? Or should I get on the horn and just call every roofing company in the city and see if they have us on record?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote