Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #41
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

In the Flames games I have watched Hathaway play I thought he was a very good skater. I am not sure where the poor skater is coming from unless it is all from one poster.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamefan1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #42
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry can someone please clarify; he's on a two-way contract but still has to go through waivers? Is this new or have I just been mistaken in thinking two-way meant we can sent him down and call him up whenever we want no waivers.

Thanks
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #43
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Sorry can someone please clarify; he's on a two-way contract but still has to go through waivers? Is this new or have I just been mistaken in thinking two-way meant we can sent him down and call him up whenever we want no waivers.

Thanks

If I remember correctly, two-way just means his salary is lower in the AHL vs his 650K salary at the NHL level. Waiver eligibility is determined by number of accrued pro seasons or NHL games played.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonestar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #44
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

good signing.

i really like what he brings to the ice...not 100% sure of his status, but hoping he's able to stick around the big club, instead of risking him to the waiver wire if he is vulnerable to that...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #45
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
In case anyone was wondering, capgeek has confirmed the contract to be $650k NHL/ $150k AHL with $190k guaranteed minor league salary.

His QO would have been $715k NHL salary
That's really a tight deal. Treliving had the leverage.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #46
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All two way means essentially is that the player has 2 different salaries depending on which club he is playing with. Once a player crosses a certain age (25?), certain number of NHL games (I think it's 160?), or completes their second contract, they become waiver eligible regardless if they are on a one way contract or two way. Sorry for generalities in number of games and age, I don't want to miss quote any of the actual regulations.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #47
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
13-14 forward at best
Incorrect
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #48
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Incorrect
Well he has a pretty good chance of being correct doesn't he?

Flames lineup already looks like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
?????-Stajan-Lazar

So does Hathaway beat out Jankowski for a spot? I'd bet on Jankowski to beat him. That puts Hathaway in 13th-14th forward territory.

The team shooting percentage when Hathaway was on the ice last season was the highest on the team. That's unusual when you see a 4th line guy way up at the top of the heap.

It's a pretty good story how the team never lost with him around, but I really don't think it had anything to do with the player.

I think he's probably not an NHL calibre player, that happened to go on a good run.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #49
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

I think he's probably not an NHL calibre player, that happened to go on a good run.
He said at best. That implies forever and always. I think Hathaway has a good chance of becoming an integral 4th liner for us. IMO he's better than many of the 4th line grinders the Flames have employed over the past 20 years. Hathaway is a prototypical energy grinder. Love it when he's in the lineup. He's basically a better version of Bouma IMO. Finishes his checks, irritates the opposition, plays with energy and speed. Plays 1st line on the farm team and is an impact player down there.

He most certainly is going to be an NHL player IMO. Buying out Bouma makes room for him. One flaw in your lineup analysis (as often happens in the summer) is you assume everyone is healthy. Another flaw in your lineup analysis is that Jankowski is a top 3 line centre and thus not competing against Hathaway for a 4th line winger role. I think it would be bad for Jankowski's development to be on the 4th line at all. Because of that if we're ever completely healthy (which is unlikely) then Janko may have to go back down to the farm. I think Hathaway will dress for the majority of the season. 13th/14th forward at best implies he'll be a consistent healthy scratch. I just don't see that happening. I've got him pencilled in on the 4th line. IMO Freddy Hamilton is more of a 13th/14th forward than Hathaway is.

Guess we'll see but I think with Bouma bought out it's Hathaway's 12th forward spot to lose. Every team needs that energy, grinding player who breathes life into the game and I think Hathaway is that guy for us. Really excited to see him win a full time spot.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #50
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

A rotation of two spots avail, lazar, brouwer, hathaway, would keep the trio's efforts honest.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #51
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He said at best. That implies forever and always. I think Hathaway has a good chance of becoming an integral 4th liner for us. IMO he's better than many of the 4th line grinders the Flames have employed over the past 20 years.

Guess we'll see but I think with Bouma bought out it's Hathaway's 12th forward spot to lose. Every team needs that energy, grinding player who breathes life into the game and I think Hathaway is that guy for us. Really excited to see him win a full time spot.
I don't doubt he will give every piece of effort in his being for every minute that he plays in the NHL. I'm just not sure he's got the skill set to stick around.

He's turning 26 in November. There aren't too many NHL players that become NHL regulars after the age of 25. I realize its not impossible (Hendricks did it. Don't know about others.), but its a real rarity.

The coach played him the least at even strength out of all the 18 guys who played games for the Flames at forward last season.

I think if management thought of him as a top 12 guy, they would have kept him around for the playoffs instead of Freddie Hamilton.

I also think they would have given him a one way contract if they saw him as a top 12 guy.

I think these are a few signs that the team isn't as high on Hathaway as some of his fans.

I guess we will know for sure in a few months.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-21-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #52
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Flames players that LOST their waiver exempt status and will need to be exposed to waivers for the first time to be sent to the AHL:

Lazar*
Bennett*
Shinkaruk
Poirier
Hathaway
Kulak

*technically lost it by NHL games played during the 16/17 season
Does this mean all these players have go through waivers at start of season, when/if sent to AHL to start the season?
Probably only applies to Poirier and Shinkaruk.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #53
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Does this mean all these players have go through waivers at start of season, when/if sent to AHL to start the season?

Probably only applies to Poirier and Shinkaruk.

The waiver period begins 12 days before the start of the regular season. As long as a waiver eligible player is sent down before that, he is not exposed to waivers.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonestar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Flames lineup already looks like:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
?????-Stajan-Lazar

So does Hathaway beat out Jankowski for a spot? I'd bet on Jankowski to beat him. That puts Hathaway in 13th-14th forward territory.

The team shooting percentage when Hathaway was on the ice last season was the highest on the team. That's unusual when you see a 4th line guy way up at the top of the heap.

It's a pretty good story how the team never lost with him around, but I really don't think it had anything to do with the player.

I have to agree. He's a part time NHL player at best that's probably not going to be around in a year or two.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #55
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to agree. He's a part time NHL player at best that's probably not going to be around in a year or two.
Just like Byron.

Player development isn't linear. Really tough to say what he might become.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #56
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=AC;6329751]Good call. Domi throws a dirty hit completely away from the puck, but Hathaway gets up and beats the #### out of Domi.

Hathaway did the old Regehr-starting-the-lawnmower thing on Domi at the start there
Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Just like Byron.

Player development isn't linear. Really tough to say what he might become.
Actually not like Byron at all who's a world class skater and had some scoring touch in the AHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #58
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Byron didn't have a scoring touch, he had a post hitting touch. If he was the player he is now, the Flames wouldn't have lost him. Hathaway could be the same, he isn't bad but he might flourish this year.

I remember really not liking Byron at all and not being too bothered when they lost him, he was really frustrating to watch when he was on the Flames IMO. Now I love watching him play, I wish he played like that for the Flames. Byron only had speed, Hathaway has other intangibles and maybe the other parts of his game will develop with more chances. The team obviously sees something in him and want to keep him around.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #59
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Actually not like Byron at all who's a world class skater and had some scoring touch in the AHL.
Who spent more than 5 years at the AHL level, before doing much of anything. When we lost him, it was a shame, as I did think he had NHL potential, but my point is that many saw him as a tweener, potentially lost as a too-small 4th liner. He seems to be better than that, and Hathaway could also find a bigger role, given his skill set.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #60
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
The waiver period begins 12 days before the start of the regular season. As long as a waiver eligible player is sent down before that, he is not exposed to waivers.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

That is not true. You can't send a player signed to a NHL contract who is not waiver exempt down to the AHL unless he clears waivers.

Yes the waiver period starts 12 days before the start of the regular season, but anyone who needs to clear waivers can't be sent down before that.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: