Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #441
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The problem with Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer is that 2/3 of that line is pretty slow; Bennett needs at least one line-mate who can skate with him
Not sure "slow" is accurate characterization of them. Plus I'd expect Tkachuk to have worked on his skating this summer. Guess we'll see. I think that line would be a real pain to play against.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #442
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The problem with Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer is that 2/3 of that line is pretty slow; Bennett needs at least one line-mate who can skate with him
There was only ever one point in the season where Tkachuk looked physically slow to me. He was last man back chasing a loose puck and got caught up to by another player in a straight line race.

Other than that his skating is okay for the NHL level. Good enough to make use of his awareness when past the blue line.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #443
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
There was only ever one point in the season where Tkachuk looked physically slow to me. He was last man back chasing a loose puck and got caught up to by another player in a straight line race.

Other than that his skating is okay for the NHL level. Good enough to make use of his awareness when past the blue line.
I'd be very happy to see Tkachuk paired with Bennett so long as the other winger had speed. Bennett often gained the blue line last season and could not find anyone to dish to because his linemates were way behind.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #444
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I really did start to think about our line-up and how StrykerSteve was saying we need to think out of the box a little with regards to set lines and it got me thinking about how Chicago split up Toews/Kane outside of the PP after the first couple of seasons.

I began playing with the line-ups and found it's easier to slot some players into spots once Mony and Johnny got split up:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg : Versteeg now fits on this line and has a better chance to be an impact offensive player playing alongside Tkachuk and Mony. He kind of takes the role that Johnny was playing on alongside Monahan and this line doesn't suffer from being 'weak' physically with the addition of Tkachuk.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Ferland : There is no doubt that Johnny and Ferland showed some good chemistry and Ferly deserves to start the season in a top 6 role. Backlund also deserves some reward after the season he played and I feel like the zone starts between these top two lines could be split down the middle giving each line offensive starts as opposed to leaning on Backs taking mostly defensive zone starts.

Frolik - Bennett - Lazar : Frolik brings some stability to this line and gives Bennett more room to play his game and Lazar is given a good solid opportunity to prove that he was drafted where he was for a reason. This line has some serious jam in Bennett/Lazar and can be leaned on in different scenarios with the addition of Frolik on his natural side.

Brouwer - Stajan - Jankowski : Janko gets to do some reps alongside Stajan which will be good to start his development at the NHL level. Brouwer needs to pull himself out of the 4th line after the season he had and I think he will be game for that challenge.

Hathaway, Foo, F. Hamilton : I honestly think the first callup / injury replacement is going to be Hathaway. The guy has been a solider since being signed as an undrafted UFA and he had two solid campaigns in both the AHL and NHL last year for us. Foo will be knocking on the door as well and I think F. Hamilton is just another floating piece that won't see much time if any this year especially with players like Foo/Janko/Hathaway among others pushing for fulltime in the NHL.

What do you guys think about splitting up the Mony/Johnny duo ?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #445
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I have no problem with that. They're our best offensive centre and LW so naturally it makes sense to have them together, but I haven't seen remarkable chemistry between them. They both seem to replicate their level of play without each other, albeit with a worse linemate (perhaps stats will prove me wrong).

Johnny and Tkachuk just seem like a perfect complementary pair, I'd love to see maybe Tkachuk move to his right. They would need a competent defensive centre though, leaving us with Mony or Backlund.

All of these lineup combinations would be much better if Bennett in particular steps up his game. World of options
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #446
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I have no problem with that. They're our best offensive centre and LW so naturally it makes sense to have them together, but I haven't seen remarkable chemistry between them. They both seem to replicate their level of play without each other, albeit with a worse linemate (perhaps stats will prove me wrong).

Johnny and Tkachuk just seem like a perfect complementary pair, I'd love to see maybe Tkachuk move to his right. They would need a competent defensive centre though, leaving us with Mony or Backlund.

All of these lineup combinations would be much better if Bennett in particular steps up his game. World of options
Tkachuk can maybe ply RW but I don't think Johnny can move from LW - he often needs to keep the puck to the outside as he carries it, and since he usually isn't the shooter, doesn't really benefit from the improved angle of playing an off-wing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #447
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gaudreau and Monahan were to split, you gotta give Bennett Gaudreau. There were a couple of sick goals when I watched the Gaudreau highlights not too long ago. And a Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg line has all you need.

Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #448
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I like the idea of Tkachuck feeding passes to Monohan from behind the net. I think Bennett and Ferland should compliment Johhny quite well. Add Versteeg to the Mony line
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #449
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If Gaudreau and Monahan were to split, you gotta give Bennett Gaudreau. There were a couple of sick goals when I watched the Gaudreau highlights not too long ago. And a Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg line has all you need.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

Bennett and Gaudreau teamed up for one of the nicest goals scored last year. I think it was at home against the sharks? Maybe someone has a gif?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #450
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Gaudreau - Backlund - Ferland
Frolik - Bennett - Lazar
Brouwer - Stajan - Jankowski

Hathaway, Foo, F. Hamilton : I honestly think the first callup / injury replacement is going to be Hathaway. The guy has been a solider since being signed as an undrafted UFA and he had two solid campaigns in both the AHL and NHL last year for us. Foo will be knocking on the door as well and I think F. Hamilton is just another floating piece that won't see much time if any this year especially with players like Foo/Janko/Hathaway among others pushing for fulltime in the NHL.

Splitting them up is fine in theory IMO. However the biggest issue I have with your lineup is not giving Bennett some high skill players to work with. The other issue I have is splitting up the Backlund-Frolik proven duo.

1. I think Bennett can take a real offensive step forward this year. But in order for that to happen I think he needs one of our top LWs on his line. Gaudreau or Tkachuk.
2. Meanwhile Backlund-Frolik are an elite line no matter who you add on as the 3rd person. I think breaking them up means you don't have that elite shutdown line. In your lineup the Bennett line looks like more of the shutdown line and I think that's backwards based on the skill sets of Bennett/Backlund. Backlund is more experienced and better defensively and Bennett has the higher offensive skills IMO. Keep Backlund/Frolik together IMO. They are too good together and such an elite shutdown pair.

Overall I think there's too much change from proven combos in your lineup. Something like that could be tried if the team is totally flat but I think in training camp and exhibition you'd keep some of the proven duos and trios together.

If you wanna break up Johnny/Mony I'd start with

Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Stajan-Lazar-Hathaway

I also think Hathaway is a regular on the 4th line this year. I don't think there's room for Jankowski if we're completely healthy up front after training camp. He's better served playing 1st line minutes and PP/PK down in the minors than he would be on our fourth line. Foo has a chance of making the team if one of our RWers go down in training camp.

But personally I'd go with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg/Foo
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Stajan-Lazar-Hathaway

To start things off
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #451
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Bennett and Gaudreau teamed up for one of the nicest goals scored last year. I think it was at home against the sharks? Maybe someone has a gif?
It is goal no. 2 on the attached Top Ten of 2016/17 as compiled by Steinberg. Was a beauty!

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/top...092/c-51707303
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #452
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\

That Monahan goal vs Ottawa was slick AF too. Totally forgot about the stick between the legs goal.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #453
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
/\/\

That Monahan goal vs Ottawa was slick AF too. Totally forgot about the stick between the legs goal.
And that lift from between the legs to go top shelf...so sick!
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #454
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
/\/\

Probably because he's a shooter without a lot of skill.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #455
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny - Bennett - Ferland sounds like a very exciting line, but I worry that none of them are adept enough in their own zone to actually survive against other top lines. Would certainly be an interesting PP line.

Again, if Bennett really pans out, it makes the line combos that much easier. Until then, I don't feel like I can trust him taking top 6 minutes as a center against the league's best.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #456
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Invigorating Spencer Foo discussion. Needs a little more Jankowski talk though.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #457
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bennett has made huge strides defensively. For me, it was clear that at the end of the season he was such a different player than he was at the start of the season. It is hard to tell I guess with everyone looking like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off to start last season, but I did think that Bennett started playing MUCH more effectively in his own zone. I don't think he is strong enough to be the defensive backbone on his line (that he needs to be as a center) but he is getting there, and in my opinion, doesn't seem too very far off at all. In fact, I would trust him out there against most teams' second lines. I think playing against the elite players in the NHL is always going to be difficult regardless of how experienced you are, but I do think that Bennett is good enough defensively to be trusted out there, at least by the look of the last stretch of the season and playoffs.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #458
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny - Bennett - Ferland sounds like a very exciting line, but I worry that none of them are adept enough in their own zone to actually survive against other top lines. Would certainly be an interesting PP line.

Again, if Bennett really pans out, it makes the line combos that much easier. Until then, I don't feel like I can trust him taking top 6 minutes as a center against the league's best.
In the lines I posted we don't really have a clear top 6. Instead we have 3 balanced scoring lines where the Backlund line likely plays against the other teams top players. You could still shelter Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland defensively somewhat and give them less defensive starts and more offensive starts while leaning on the Backlund and Monahan lines for more of the defensive heavy lifting.

But regardless at some point you'll have to trust Bennett and it seems like this year is about time to start doing it. If you really can't trust Bennett this year then you trust Jankowski and move Bennett to wing.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #459
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
In the lines I posted we don't really have a clear top 6. Instead we have 3 balanced scoring lines where the Backlund line likely plays against the other teams top players. You could still shelter Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland defensively somewhat and give them less defensive starts and more offensive starts while leaning on the Backlund and Monahan lines for more of the defensive heavy lifting.

But regardless at some point you'll have to trust Bennett and it seems like this year is about time to start doing it. If you really can't trust Bennett this year then you trust Jankowski and move Bennett to wing.
How would you dole out ice time with the balanced lines? I think, in terms of gameplay, the coach will always try to get his best offensive players the most ES ice time.

To that end, the change I can see happening is Tkachuk getting an increase in his ice time ie he plays with Gaudreau - Monahan.

With his skills, I think CGY needs to maximize his impact on the games.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #460
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
How would you dole out ice time with the balanced lines? I think, in terms of gameplay, the coach will always try to get his best offensive players the most ES ice time.

To that end, the change I can see happening is Tkachuk getting an increase in his ice time ie he plays with Gaudreau - Monahan.

With his skills, I think CGY needs to maximize his impact on the games.
I don't think its that hard. The coach can roll the 3 or 4 lines fairly evenly at even strength. I think some coaches dole out more equal even strength ice time than you're suggesting. More ice time for your most offensive players is brought about by powerplay in particular.

I agree that Tkachuk can be leaned on a little more heavily this season. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing him moved off the Backlund/Frolik line. Not because that line isn't effective but I think it could make the other 2 scoring lines more effective overall. I think Tkachuk could really help a guy like Bennett explode offensively. I think he'd be a fine fit with Monahan/Gaudreau as well but that line seems strong with Ferland too.