Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Selling a Diamond Ring

My fiancee has a diamond ring she is looking to sell but has lost the paperwork for it. What is the best way to get some documentation for the diamond?

I know the stone in the engagement ring I bought her is inscribed with the GIA report number so I hope that the one she is selling has something similar. Unfortunately the retailer that ring was bought from (who I won't name because they like to threaten lawsuits over negative remarks) has been singularly unhelpful. We don't necessarily need a full appraisal of the value, but something verifying the size/grade/etc. would be very helpful. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

http://www.diverseequities.com/index.php?page=about

He might even buy it from you. A real expert, not some fly by night salesman at a mall jewelry store.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
justing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Arsenal14, I can help you out with this. I'm currently away until next week so i'll pm you to set something up.
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I just sold one on idonowidont.com

They offered double what a local guy did (where it was originally purchased), and it was in US funds.

Still only 1/3 of the appraised value (which I've learned is a total joke) but better than what I was going to get locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Be prepared to be very disappointed in what secondary markets value diamonds at. Maybe she can re-purpose the gem? That's what my ex did after she found out her five figure engagement ring was actually worth peanuts.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
justing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Two main reasons why the secondary market suffers:
1) Selling it privately (ie. Kijiji) there is a level of uncertainty from the buyer's side even with the proper documentation. Also, people expect a major deal to be had since it is private.

2) Selling to a random store, the buyer needs to get a good price on the piece, otherwise why not just purchase through regular suppliers?

Depending on the situation and the piece, best bet is to return to the store it was originally purchased from. If you can re-purpose the diamond or gemstone, you'll get most value. You could also look into an exchange or credit towards a new piece. A diamond never goes bad. We've had situations in the past where we'll give full credit of the original diamond towards a new piece.