Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #41
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take mine out every fall so that won't be an issue. With the one I posted I could just take the middle part out and it would drain so freezing wouldn't be an issue either.

I'm just tired of wrestling with that plastic plug. It's in an awkward spot and it it's getting pretty stripped.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #42
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I take mine out every fall so that won't be an issue. With the one I posted I could just take the middle part out and it would drain so freezing wouldn't be an issue either.

I'm just tired of wrestling with that plastic plug. It's in an awkward spot and it it's getting pretty stripped.
This.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #43
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm tired of the stupid plastic plug for my hot water tank. What are you all using? I was looking at getting something like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-11703-Wa...1JYSG3S42AX7YW
Is the hot water tank aluminum? If so be cautious using dissimilar metals, as it will corrode like crazy, and you will long for your old plastic plug.

If you can get an aluminum plug for the aluminum tank with a few wraps of teflon tape, that'd be the best.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #44
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a plug like the one being linked to and love it. Mine is in an awkward place and I ended up slicing my fingers every year trying to remove it. Now it's simple, just open the drain #### and let it drain. Never had an issue with it since.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #45
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Is the hot water tank aluminum? If so be cautious using dissimilar metals, as it will corrode like crazy, and you will long for your old plastic plug.

If you can get an aluminum plug for the aluminum tank with a few wraps of teflon tape, that'd be the best.
I was looking at that and I wasn't sure if it would be an issue. So far I haven't actually found an aluminum one, just plastic and brass.

Quote:
Atwood water heater tanks are constructed of a high strength aluminum. The interior of the tank consists of a .0015 thickness of type 7072 aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the rolling process. This material protects the tanks from the effects of heavy metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer. Aftermarket Anode Rods are not required and should not be used and will void warranty.
The pressure release valve is brass, so I think it would be ok?

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 07-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #46
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading out to Koocanusa with the family tomorrow, where there is obviously a fire ban. Though I don't think we'll need the heat of a fire given how the forecast looks, it's still nice to have one.

We were looking at getting a propane firepit for the weekend, but they seem to be sold out in a lot of places, and we don't want to spend an arm and a leg given we most likely won't use it again after the weekend. So with that said - this is a long shot, but would any kind CPer be willing to lend theirs for the weekend, or rent it out for $/beer?
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I thought the thing with the plastic plug was if it somehow did end up freezing the plastic would pop out?

Not sure but thats what I thought
Speaking from experience...... No

Forgot to drain after use in March once.... May long got a nice surprise when I powered up the water pump.....
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #48
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Heading out to Koocanusa with the family tomorrow, where there is obviously a fire ban. Though I don't think we'll need the heat of a fire given how the forecast looks, it's still nice to have one.
Have you checked with the campground if they are allowed? In past years at Newgate Sandy Shores, when there was a fire ban they didn't allow them. The problem was that other people would see the fire, and assume the ban wasn't in effect. That was 8+ years ago, and Koocanusa is a big lake, so my info might not be correct.

That being said, I do have a small propane fire pit that doesn't get much use.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #49
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Have you checked with the campground if they are allowed? In past years at Newgate Sandy Shores, when there was a fire ban they didn't allow them. The problem was that other people would see the fire, and assume the ban wasn't in effect. That was 8+ years ago, and Koocanusa is a big lake, so my info might not be correct.

That being said, I do have a small propane fire pit that doesn't get much use.
Just called and they said as long as it's CSA approved (should be a sticker), it's fine. Flames can't be higher than 15cm either. I say better than nothing.

Would love to take you up on that if you don't mind Ken.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #50
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone recommend something similar to Sundance Lodges where you're not actually tenting, but still get the outdoor experience?
Trying to ease the young family into a camping and figure Sundance would be a great option, but unfortunately, they're booked up until September. Looking to stay a couple of nights mid-week before the weekend rush.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #51
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Can anyone recommend something similar to Sundance Lodges where you're not actually tenting, but still get the outdoor experience?
Trying to ease the young family into a camping and figure Sundance would be a great option, but unfortunately, they're booked up until September. Looking to stay a couple of nights mid-week before the weekend rush.
A few Alberta campgrounds have comfort camping now. They seem to be what you are looking for.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they have it at Dinosaur Provincial Park. That would be a neat place to do it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #53
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions!
Googled Alberta Comfort Camping and found Dinosaur Provincial Park and Wyndham-Carseland as the other similar options. Unfortunately, they too, are booked up.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #54
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions for a mobile RV fix guy?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #55
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!
Googled Alberta Comfort Camping and found Dinosaur Provincial Park and Wyndham-Carseland as the other similar options. Unfortunately, they too, are booked up.
You can search Parks Canada for any oTentik (sp?) sites. But they too will likely be booked.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #56
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I need to replace the crappy dvd/radio in my trailer. Apparently this is the aftershot of someone replacing theirs, I can only assume this is some kind of double din universal mounting bracket surrounding the receiver. I need help finding out where to get one like this...

Last edited by Ace; 07-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #57
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Pretty much any car stereo install place can help
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #58
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can look for the Otentiks on the parks Canada site. Not sure on availability.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-trave...dation/otentik
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #59
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
KOAs have cabins at most of their parks - might be a bit further than what you were thinking of travelling though.

Likely one of the closer ones: http://koa.com/campgrounds/st-mary/
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #60
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup, everywhere is pretty much booked up. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Gotta remember to book early for next summer. Lesson learned!

Tags
beer helps , camping , snow probably