Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #1061
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been craving a second dock for my TV in the basement (particularly on hot nights), but I begrudge paying the $115 Nintendo wants for the theirs. Did some reading, and it sounds like a portable dock by Nyko is on the way at the end of September or beginning of October. $70 CAD, and that includes an AC adapter (like the Nintendo version does).

$70 is certainly easier to swallow, and the smaller size is appealing if you want to take the Switch over to someone's house and dock it there. The only downside is that it does not have USB ports. I am unlikely to be connecting an ethernet adapter or needing to charge accessories off of the dock (that's what USB wall plugs are for!), so that's a non-issue for me.

I don't recall seeing this discussed previously in this thread, so I thought I'd share.

Info: https://nyko.com/collections/switch/...intendo-switch

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Docki...dp/B071X7C1B4/
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #1062
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have been craving a second dock for my TV in the basement (particularly on hot nights), but I begrudge paying the $115 Nintendo wants for the theirs. Did some reading, and it sounds like a portable dock by Nyko is on the way at the end of September or beginning of October. $70 CAD, and that includes an AC adapter (like the Nintendo version does).

$70 is certainly easier to swallow, and the smaller size is appealing if you want to take the Switch over to someone's house and dock it there. The only downside is that it does not have USB ports. I am unlikely to be connecting an ethernet adapter or needing to charge accessories off of the dock (that's what USB wall plugs are for!), so that's a non-issue for me.

I don't recall seeing this discussed previously in this thread, so I thought I'd share.

Info: https://nyko.com/collections/switch/...intendo-switch

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Docki...dp/B071X7C1B4/
Kills me how much these things are sold separately for - even the $70 seems expensive for what is a glorified USB3 to HDMI cord.

Dock Set: $119.99
Joy Con: $100
Joy Con Grip: $40 (Can't seem to buy the non-charging ones separately)

Looking at $260 just for accessories - At that point I'm almost better off spending the extra $140 and just getting a second system.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #1063
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Kills me how much these things are sold separately for - even the $70 seems expensive for what is a glorified USB3 to HDMI cord.

Dock Set: $119.99
Joy Con: $100
Joy Con Grip: $40 (Can't seem to buy the non-charging ones separately)

Looking at $260 just for accessories - At that point I'm almost better off spending the extra $140 and just getting a second system.
The accessory pricing is pretty brutal. But I have already dropped $100 on another set of joy cons, although I grumbled about it a little but did it anyway because of the thought of 4 player Mario Kart (and it is as fun as I knew it would be). The dock is a tougher sell for me because it is strictly a convenience/luxury thing so I don't have to unhook cords and fish around behind the TV unit, but there is no way I'd pay Nintendo's price for that.

If you're after a non-charging joy con grip, consider this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Switc...dp/B01MS7YUA7/

I took a chance on it before there were reviews, and I actually prefer it. It feels better in the hand. The only downside is that the rails aren't metal, but I don't see that being an issue with normal use.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #1064
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The battery life when playing Splatoon 2 online is hilariously bad. Like, not even an hour.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #1065
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Resolute, how is the pro controller with Splatoon?

I just got Arms. It is a fun game, but who knew a game with two buttons could be so complicated!
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #1066
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Dramatically better. The joycons are almost unusable in comparison. Though, mostly because ZL didn't always trigger properly for me, making swimming/recharging a pain.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #1067
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd mostly been playing Splatoon in handheld mode so I purchased a contoured grip and stick grips from EB, which made things considerably nicer for aiming and shooting. However, yesterday I caved and picked up a Pro controller also to give Splatoon a try in TV mode and yeah, night and day difference for sure.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #1068
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nintendo released their financials and sales figures for Q1 overnight, and it looks like pretty much everything they do from a first party perspective has the midas touch.

4.7 million Switches sold as of June 30. 3.92m BOTW, 3.54m MK8D, 1.22m 1-2-Switch and 1.18m Arms. Also, Splatoon 2 did nearly 700,000 physical copies in Japan alone in the first three days.

Arms topping a million in two weeks is kind of crazy to me. It's already outsold Street Fighter V on PS4 despite the latter game having a full year head start.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #1069
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The attach rates for the first party software are bonkers.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #1070
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is. Also underscores the larger issue Nintendo always has: about 75% of software sales are first party. Though things like Disgaea 5 being on track to outsell the PS4 version should help encourage the A/AA publishers.

It's going to be interesting watching what FIFA 18, Skyrim, NBA 2K18 and WWE 2K18 do.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #1071
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nintendo released their financials and sales figures for Q1 overnight, and it looks like pretty much everything they do from a first party perspective has the midas touch.

4.7 million Switches sold as of June 30. 3.92m BOTW, 3.54m MK8D, 1.22m 1-2-Switch and 1.18m Arms. Also, Splatoon 2 did nearly 700,000 physical copies in Japan alone in the first three days.

Arms topping a million in two weeks is kind of crazy to me. It's already outsold Street Fighter V on PS4 despite the latter game having a full year head start.
When the system only has a handful of games its not all that surprising...a PS4 owner has far more to choose from
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #1072
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You can make that excuse if it makes you feel better Dino, but that excuse doesn't change the fact that SFV bombed on a platform with 15x the install base.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #1073
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Clearly, their evil conspiratorial plan to purposely withhold stock of their products and prevent their purchase is working to perfection again.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #1074
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Found one while in BC for work (12% tax ) The controllers are small, getting cramps. And the right side of the screen is lifting up. Not a good start!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #1075
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both versions are up on Amazon.ca
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #1076
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The fact that Amazon is forcing you to buy Prime to buy things like this is getting to be rather offensive. Seems like an abuse of market position to the customer's detriment.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #1077
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Costco requires a membership fee for everything, not just some stuff.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #1078
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can make that excuse if it makes you feel better Dino, but that excuse doesn't change the fact that SFV bombed on a platform with 15x the install base.
? what

Why do I need to make an excuse for a game I had nothing to do with...its just a fact when your system has like 5 games they are likely going to sell because people want something to play. PS4 has 15x the install base and 30x the library. When PS4 had no games Killzone sold 3M copies

get your fanboy nonsense outta here with me, I own almost every system that has ever existed
Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #1079
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why do I need to make an excuse for a game I had nothing to do with
I don't know why, which is why I am asking you why you are making excuses.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #1080
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know why, which is why I am asking you why you are making excuses.
I gave you a reason not an excuse, a system with a fairly large install base and very few games will sell games at a better rate than they would had more games been available. Right now switch owners don't have much choice if they want a new game.