Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #101
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The battle back wasnt nearly as close as they made it out to be and was basically handed to Cody.

Cody coming back isn't necessarily bad for Paul's game. Paul is clearly seen as one of the strongest players in the game (but not #1 now that Cody's back) and the focus completely shifts to Cody now. Almost all of the house will want him gone for good

And I think Jessica actually plays a better game without Cody in the house. She socializes more and plays her own game, but with Cody in the house she just follows him
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #102
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm done with this one, I think. It's become the Season of Paul, which I don't care to watch. Should have left it all newbies; the cast was interesting enough.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #103
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was zero doubt that Cody was going to be the one coming back in. If you watched the last few moments of last night's episode, you could see Paul examining Cody's board- Im guessing he suspected Cody's board was a little easier. Im pretty sure guests arent permitted to talk about production at all (with cameras being on them 24/7), but wouldnt be surprised if they whisper with each other about how much the producers mess with the outcome.

All that said, I am enjoying this season. You can kind of rationalise them bringing back a guest given the unexpected departure of whats her face. Just obvious that it was going to be Cody. Just way too much potential for drama with him.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really if Cody was smart he would try to team up with Paul and work together behind the scenes. He considers himself and Paul the two alpha males so why spend so much effort to get him out when they can work together and get rid of the rest of the house and duel it out later in the season? I sense Cody simply doesn't have the social game to pull this off as it's a matter of time until he starts getting irrational with someone that he was supposed to be working with and on the turn of a dime feels he needs to get them out asap.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #105
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Regardless of how rigged cody's return was, this has been far and away the most interesting cast in quite some time. They aren't all scumbags like previous seasons but have caused a whole ton of entertaining drama and twists in gameplay. It's too bad Cody doesn't seem to be a smart villain. I think he'll be out again soon. He's too dumb to be as controlling as past seasons' villains.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #106
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Regardless of how rigged cody's return was, this has been far and away the most interesting cast in quite some time. They aren't all scumbags like previous seasons but have caused a whole ton of entertaining drama and twists in gameplay. It's too bad Cody doesn't seem to be a smart villain. I think he'll be out again soon. He's too dumb to be as controlling as past seasons' villains.
I really disagree with the bolded. I've found this cast really boring and not very likeable at all.

One self eviction already, Christmas (who does seem to be one of the few interesting ones) being hobbled and production meddling more than ever before and this season is definitely one of the most forgettable so far.

That battle back fas a forgone conclusion right from the start, and conveniently Jess gets the power to keep Cody in the game if things go bad. They're really going out of their way to try to keep something dramatic going on. I'll stick it out for a while more, but if Paul goes out in the next couple weeks this will be horribly boring.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #107
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Well there have been no controversies due to racism, violence or bullying. That makes them instantly more likeable than numerous recent casts.

I'm not sure what production meddling just like they always do somehow makes the cast less interesting. We've seen more excitement and twists so far this year and than in some entire past seasons.

We've seen plenty of scheming and drama so far. Also something we haven't seen compared to recent seasons where we went weeks upon weeks with weak players being picked off and no power struggles in the house at all.

I'd way rather see a house like we've got where there are regular conflicts and scheming with a real villain in Cody than the whole house just follow one power player for weeks on end like we've seen in the past.

Paul isn't nearly cunning or enough of a bully to control the house like past house dictators. Not to mention there are too many strong players like Alex and Cody who won't follow him

Josh is entertaining, Kevin is great, Ramses is unpredictable, Jason is strong.

The only casting dud is Matt.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #108
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well there have been no controversies due to racism, violence or bullying. That makes them instantly more likeable than numerous recent casts.

I'm not sure what production meddling just like they always do somehow makes the cast less interesting. We've seen more excitement and twists so far this year and than in some entire past seasons.

We've seen plenty of scheming and drama so far. Also something we haven't seen compared to recent seasons where we went weeks upon weeks with weak players being picked off and no power struggles in the house at all.

I'd way rather see a house like we've got where there are regular conflicts and scheming with a real villain in Cody than the whole house just follow one power player for weeks on end like we've seen in the past.

Paul isn't nearly cunning or enough of a bully to control the house like past house dictators. Not to mention there are too many strong players like Alex and Cody who won't follow him

Josh is entertaining, Kevin is great, Ramses is unpredictable, Jason is strong.

The only casting dud is Matt.
Maybe you're right... I might be misremembering how much I liked previous casts.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #109
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Well at the end of the day it is subjective. But all I know is that in previous seasons I was in the big brother thread continuously complaining at how much I hated how boring the show was that the nominations were in no way unpredictable and that nobody in the house would ever stand up to the dictating players.

So I guess all I'm saying is that it's a little surprising to me that someone would find this season to be more boring than previous years or the cast less likeable.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like this cast as it's got a good mix of age and personality.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #111
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy Cody came back

Agree on this cast being great

There's so many ways the season could go still
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #112
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
There was zero doubt that Cody was going to be the one coming back in. If you watched the last few moments of last night's episode, you could see Paul examining Cody's board- Im guessing he suspected Cody's board was a little easier. Im pretty sure guests arent permitted to talk about production at all (with cameras being on them 24/7), but wouldnt be surprised if they whisper with each other about how much the producers mess with the outcome.

All that said, I am enjoying this season. You can kind of rationalise them bringing back a guest given the unexpected departure of whats her face. Just obvious that it was going to be Cody. Just way too much potential for drama with him.
When I was younger I used to watch Big Brother After Dark. Essentially the uncensored live feed from midnight onwards. Generally it was boring, but you really got to see how much production was involved. The minute someone would Talk about any sort of production, they'd come over the PA in the house and say "x, talking about production is forbidden. Further volations could result in expulsion" or something along those lines.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-24-2017 at 10:57 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
When I was younger I used to watch Big Brother After Dark. Essentially the uncensored live feed from midnight onwards. Generally it was boring, but you really got to see how much production was involved. The minute someone would Talk about any sort of production, they'd come over the PA in the house and say "x, talking about production is forbidden. Further volations could result in expulsion" or something along those lines.
It does have to be frustrating for the guests that are playing a good game but see their efforts spoiled as the producers try to keep crowd friendly players in the game.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #114
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It does have to be frustrating for the guests that are playing a good game but see their efforts spoiled as the producers try to keep crowd friendly players in the game.
That's the problem I have with this season. It's just so blatant how producers are manufacturing the competition to look the way they want. Paul had almost zero percent chance to beat Cody in that challenge and how they treated it like it was actually a close competition is just insulting to me.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #115
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
That's the problem I have with this season. It's just so blatant how producers are manufacturing the competition to look the way they want. Paul had almost zero percent chance to beat Cody in that challenge and how they treated it like it was actually a close competition is just insulting to me.
Selective editing is not new to this season. And definitely not worse than other seasons. Manufacturing competition is different than selective editing. Neither are new to the show.

One involves manipulating house guests, comps, or actual results. The other is just editing to bring drama to the viewer.

They are guilty of both I think but the editing part doesn't actually change the gameplay, just what we see.

Selective editing is a hallmark of reality tv and has been happening for years. Manipulating results, well that's been happening for years too and is more disingenuous but they do it way less often.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
It's a bit of a double edged sword though as if they don't keep popular players viewers tune out and if ratings drop maybe the show gets cancelled or moved to cable.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #117
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's a bit of a double edged sword though as if they don't keep popular players viewers tune out and if ratings drop maybe the show gets cancelled or moved to cable.
It's a balance for sure. Just seems so obvious and overdone this year.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #118
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Cody is just not good at this game period.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #119
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
K but the Battle Back comp editing had no effect on outcomes. I think you guys are confusing production influencing gameplay and selective editing. What's her face from BB 12 or 14 getting the Pandora's Box at the last minute saving her was clear production influence. Editing pretending Paul and Cody's comp was close didn't actually change the fact Cody smoked him.

One clearly affects gameplay, the other is just how results are displayed to viewers.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #120
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cody coming back was the worst thing that could happen for Jessica's game. They screwed themselves by wasting this HoH week.

Jessica had the right idea...then she had to suggest Alex's name to Cody. That put him off from wanting her to use the veto.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote