Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #61
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That is not true. You can't send a player signed to a NHL contract who is not waiver exempt down to the AHL unless he clears waivers.

Yes the waiver period starts 12 days before the start of the regular season, but anyone who needs to clear waivers can't be sent down before that.

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #62
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In case anyone was wondering, capgeek has confirmed the contract to be $650k NHL/ $150k AHL with $190k guaranteed minor league salary.

His QO would have been $715k NHL salary
He's made himself just a little bit more attractive to be in the lineup than Freddy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #63
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Incorrect
Well I'm sold!

Hathaway will be 25 a month into the season, he's got a one year two way deal, that doesn't scream long term NHL'er. The guy had worked hard, on and off the ice, to earn several NHL contracts and I like his energy game but you get value out of these guys for 2-3 seasons then they're usually done and it's by no means a guarantee he plays. When/if he makes it the obvious upside is 4th line grinding winger. The game has changed, it's top nine bottom three now, not top 6 bottom 6. It's too important a position to have a guy with zero offense playing in anything but a part time 4th line role.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #64
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Of Note: Hathaway will be a Group VI UFA unless he plays at least 40 NHL games this season. If he plays 40 or more NHL games this season he will be RFA at the end of this contract
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #65
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Of Note: Hathaway will be a Group VI UFA unless he plays at least 40 NHL games this season. If he plays 40 or more NHL games this season he will be RFA at the end of this contract
I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team and wasn't a regular on that 4th line. We need a hitter, energy guy, agitator to give that line a real push and give the team energy and a spark when the 4th line is out.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #66
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's made himself just a little bit more attractive to be in the lineup than Freddy.
Why is that? Freddie's cap hit is lower plus I thought he was on a one-way. So less against the cap plus less money paid by the organization if Hathaway is sent down than Freddie.

Maybe the Flames would be okay with losing Freddie to waivers - if anyone wanted him. I could see someone picking up Hathaway more than Freddie.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #67
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be shocked if he didn't make the team and wasn't a regular on that 4th line. We need a hitter, energy guy, agitator to give that line a real push and give the team energy and a spark when the 4th line is out.
But if everyone is healthy and Janko makes the line up who do you take out to make him a regular?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #68
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
But if everyone is healthy and Janko makes the line up who do you take out to make him a regular?
Little bit too hypothetical for my liking. The forward lineup will almost never be healthy. We don't know if Jankowski will make a healthy lineup.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #69
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Lance Bouma
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #70
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Little bit too hypothetical for my liking. The forward lineup will almost never be healthy. We don't know if Jankowski will make a healthy lineup.
Yeah, this is how you can tell it's summertime. The lineup will almost never look exactly like the projections being made now. Honestly it's kind of a blessing if the team even makes it out of training camp without an injury somewhere.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Lance Bouma
Let Joel Quenneville make whatever lineup decisions he wants.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #72
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Why is that? Freddie's cap hit is lower plus I thought he was on a one-way. So less against the cap plus less money paid by the organization if Hathaway is sent down than Freddie.

Maybe the Flames would be okay with losing Freddie to waivers - if anyone wanted him. I could see someone picking up Hathaway more than Freddie.
Oh, I was under the impression Hamilton had the higher cap hit now.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #73
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Let Joel Quenneville make whatever lineup decisions he wants.
I think the implication is that Bouma was removed to basically make way for Hathaway. Similar type of player, similar type of role. Seems unlikely the Flames would go without a feisty, energetic hitter who is hard on the fore-check. That would make us easier to play against. Since Bouma was bought out that leaves Hathaway as the natural replacement for that role. Frankly I agree with this thinking. As soon as Bouma was bought out that signalled to me that it was Hathaway's role to lose.

I don't understand talk of Jankowski vs Hathaway since they do not compete for the same role on the team. One is a prototypical 4th line grinding winger and the other a skilled top 3 centre. Hathaway is competing vs F. Hamilton and Lazar if anything however Hathaway is more of a prototypical grinding winger than they are (the other two more centre ice men IMO). Jankowski IMO is competing vs Bennett and may be in tough to win a role if all of our centres are healthy to start the season. If he impresses more than Bennett at centre then I think Bennett is moved to LW. But if all of our centres are healthy the smart money may be on Janko starting the year in the AHL until the inevitable injuries hit. Hathaway meanwhile is pencilled in for me as the 12th/13th forward ahead of Hamilton.

That's how I see it.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-27-2017 at 12:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #74
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think the implication is that Bouma was removed to basically make way for Hathaway. Similar type of player, similar type of role. Seems unlikely the Flames would go without a feisty, energetic hitter who is hard on the fore-check. That would make us easier to play against. Since Bouma was bought out that leaves Hathaway as the natural replacement for that role. Frankly I agree with this thinking. As soon as Bouma was bought out that signalled to me that it was Hathaway's role to lose.

I don't understand talk of Jankowski vs Hathaway since they do not compete for the same role on the team. One is a prototypical 4th line grinding winger and the other a skilled top 3 centre. Hathaway is competing vs F. Hamilton and Lazar if anything however Hathaway is more of a prototypical grinding winger than they are (the other two more centre ice men IMO). Jankowski IMO is competing vs Bennett and may be in tough to win a role if all of our centres are healthy to start the season. If he impresses more than Bennett at centre then I think Bennett is moved to LW. But if all of our centres are healthy the smart money may be on Janko starting the year in the AHL until the inevitable injuries hit. Hathaway meanwhile is pencilled in for me as the 12th/13th forward ahead of Hamilton.

That's how I see it.
From what we saw of Janko last season, which was admittedly very little, and what we saw from bennett last year, which was admittedly overwhelming in comparison, I think Jankowski has the edge.

Maybe he puts up points, maybe he doesn't, but I think he has the potential to give the team more consistent minutes if he has reliable linemates. I don't think he'll step in and be bob gainey or anything, but I think the team is better off with a projected level Janko in the #3 role than Bennett there.

Bennett as a centre on this team has no future if backlund is staying, so it's either the wing or trade in my opinion.

Bennett on Jankowski's wing with Brouwer on the other side is a legitimate possibility in my mind.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #75
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I've thought about this a bit more. The question is if Jankowski makes the team who's he pushing out of the top 3 lines? Because I don't think it makes any sense for him to be a 4th liner. I guess he could push Versteeg to the 4th line, that's really the only person he can beat out. Personally I think Jankowski is in tough to make the lineup if everyone is healthy. I think you can start him in the AHL and bring him up when injuries hit. IMO the only way he makes the lineup if everyone is healthy is if he outperforms Bennett at centre and I don't think that's a likely scenario. But if he did I think the lines could shake out like

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Brouwer
Versteeg-Stajan/Lazar-Hathaway/Lazar
Hamilton
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #76
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett on Jankowski's wing with Brouwer on the other side is a legitimate possibility in my mind.
Agreed. The other one that's crossed my mind is putting him back with Backlund-Frolik since he likes the puck on his stick. Then you could have Tkachuk-Jankowski-Brouwer as a very balanced attacking option as well.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #77
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I don't doubt he will give every piece of effort in his being for every minute that he plays in the NHL. I'm just not sure he's got the skill set to stick around.

He's turning 26 in November. There aren't too many NHL players that become NHL regulars after the age of 25. I realize its not impossible (Hendricks did it. Don't know about others.), but its a real rarity.

The coach played him the least at even strength out of all the 18 guys who played games for the Flames at forward last season.

I think if management thought of him as a top 12 guy, they would have kept him around for the playoffs instead of Freddie Hamilton.

I also think they would have given him a one way contract if they saw him as a top 12 guy.

I think these are a few signs that the team isn't as high on Hathaway as some of his fans.

I guess we will know for sure in a few months.

Does his age really matter here? When did Gio start to become the Gio we know today? How old was he when he broke out and became our best dman?

I think this is a show me contract and I hope he takes every minute of ice time and does what he does best. This is a good signing, I'm excited to have him around and I hope he earns more ice time this year.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #78
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. The other one that's crossed my mind is putting him back with Backlund-Frolik since he likes the puck on his stick. Then you could have Tkachuk-Jankowski-Brouwer as a very balanced attacking option as well.
What I like about Bennett and Brouwer with Janko is the ability to have them able to take draws on their respective strong sides. Takes a bit of the burden off Jankowski as a first-year in the faceoff circle. Lets him maybe cheat a bit knowing if he gets waived out the team can still win.

It's a small thing, but I also think Bennett and Brouwer are similar styled players in an offensive capacity. Lots of net front play, short passes and board work.

Edit: I am also very reluctant to remove tkachuk from the backlund/frolik pairing for the same reason as above.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 07-27-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #79
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
From what we saw of Janko last season, which was admittedly very little, and what we saw from bennett last year, which was admittedly overwhelming in comparison, I think Jankowski has the edge.

Maybe he puts up points, maybe he doesn't, but I think he has the potential to give the team more consistent minutes if he has reliable linemates. I don't think he'll step in and be bob gainey or anything, but I think the team is better off with a projected level Janko in the #3 role than Bennett there.

Bennett as a centre on this team has no future if backlund is staying, so it's either the wing or trade in my opinion.

Jankowski has a grand total of 10 minutes and 18 seconds played in the NHL. How on earth does he have the edge on Bennett?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #80
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Jankowski has a grand total of 10 minutes and 18 seconds played in the NHL. How on earth does he have the edge on Bennett?
That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying if Janko has progressed like many seem to think he has, and he's rounding into achieving his potential, he's a more viable candidate for third line centre than bennett has shown to be thus far.

Janko might not even make the team, but if he does, it's probably in that third line C spot and it's probably at the expense of Bennett playing there.