Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Shawn Horcoff is "some rat"?

Comparing the NHL to the UFC isn't comparing apples to apples, where in the UFC there is a greater benefit to using PEDs and a higher value to using HGH as well.

Granted, there is a problem with the NHL's testing schedule, but it isn't some conspiracy to weed out a rat. The testing committee is bipartisan (in that they represent both the NHL and the NHLPA) and test every team twice a year. They can also test players randomly, including during the offseason, but the problem is that they can't test on game days and the player has two weeks to report for testing. Obviously, this creates a large sieve where everyone but the biggest abusers/least careful can slip through.

The NHL's drug policy might be lacklustre, but I wonder if that matters. Hockey is most similar to basketball in that being faster and stronger is beneficial, but without the actual high-level skills required to excel at the game, they don't make as big of a difference as in other sports. PEDs cannot turn an average player into a great one. In football, baseball, and the UFC, where strength and speed can make almost all the difference, they have an enormous impact.

Plus, it's not like many of the star players go off to the Olympics and play notably worse (in a situation with more stringent testing).
You are so wrong and just have to read up a bit more on the benefit of PEDs.

When you are 20% less fatigued you can execute much better. The skill arguement is a red herring.

Of course when Real Madrid or Rafa Nadal are implicated in blood doping activities it gets hushed. KHL? Not so much.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
You are so wrong and just have to read up a bit more on the benefit of PEDs.

When you are 20% less fatigued you can execute much better. The skill arguement is a red herring.

Of course when Real Madrid or Rafa Nadal are implicated in blood doping activities it gets hushed. KHL? Not so much.
I'm aware of the benefit of PEDs, it's a small part of my overall point. I don't think the NHL cares about players being 20% less fatigued because the advantage is not significant enough to be apparent to the naked eye.

We assume NHL players are doping at a higher rate than being caught because doping seems to exist in all pro sports, but until that advantage becomes too much to ignore, what reason does the NHL have to tighten up their controls? They're a business, a doping scandal is bad for business. They aren't being looked at by outside eyes and their players aren't getting caught with any regularity at international events. To the NHL, it's under control.

The NHL to UFC comparison isn't valid because one is an individual combat sport, and one is an on-ice team sport. Unless it's team-wide, the effects of doping have a much lower implication on an NHL game than a UFC fight.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 07-25-2017 at 01:47 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #23
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I see what you're saying now. I agree the NHL doesn't want to taint it's game by orchestrating the same stupid witch hunt that the MLB did, but to suggest something about hockey is different than another sport in terms of PED use is silly. PEDs offer a clear advantage to any NHLer. But does the NHL care? No, and why should they? It's usually the PAs that care. Until they risk lawsuits or some other liability, the more jacked up their hockey players are, the better the product is for the fans.

The league has been advertising for years players rocking each other with giant hits and getting into scraps. They know a hockey player with emotion and drool hanging out is more money in their pockets. They just pretend its the natural human condition and drop good PR moves by finding the odd 4th line nobody to fail a drug test and then suggest their stringent testing standards keep the game clean.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #24
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My guess is that PEDs exist in hockey. Believing otherwise is just being ignorant of today's world.

The question for me is - why do people care? I loved watching Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Lance Armstrong......still some of my favorite memories in my life.

Especially Lance Armstrong.....even though they stripped him of his titles....that guy was a beast and won the Tour 7 times in a row in an era where practically where Joe Blow was doping his ass off....but this world has turned into a "holier than thou" society....and the guys at the head of the anti-doping agencies basically made it a mission to take him down. They should have DQ'd practically all results from those 7 Tours then...why just 1st place.

Anyway - doping = entertainment. We should juice all our athletes.

Last edited by robaur; 07-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:41 AM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Ugh. Rough news.

So no Olympics.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #26
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Let's be honest, the NHL's drug testing policy is a joke. Someone gets caught every other year and it's always some rat the NHL is better without. In the UFC, they catch fighters every month.
That could also be a sign of an effective deterrent.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #27
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Figured this worth a thread in the off-season. Former Flames blueliner Smith, who is currently playing for KHL Medvescak was found guilty of using result seen illegal drugs and is banned by IIHF till September 2nd, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...014_story.html
Am I missing something? The link says Danis Zaripov banned for doping, no mention of Derek
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #28
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Better than top pair Chris Butler.
Thanks for reminding us those two things happened at the same time
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:10 AM   #29
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Am I missing something? The link says Danis Zaripov banned for doping, no mention of Derek
Smith is banned too, look near the end if the article.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #30
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Oh man, the days of top-4 defenseman Derek Smith... yikes.
In all fairness to him, the season Smith was acquired was the season the Flames defence transitioned from slow and lead footed, to quick and puck moving. Smith was pretty nimble on his feet.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Older article on Smith's time with the Flames.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/pers...smith/c-606500

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Thanks for reminding us those two things happened at the same time
No problem bud.