Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bell TV Frustrations....

So my service was disrupted out of the blue this morning. All the boxes in our house just say 'Progress: 0 of 5', have been for 9 hours now. My conversation with Bell was nothing short of ridiculous. $75 for them to come out and look at what is wrong, and they can't come for 5 days. I guess this is why people hate Bell.

Can anyone provide some general troubleshooting tips to get my dish working again(or whatever it might be)? I figure if I have 5 days to wait I miswell mess around and make it worse for them when they get here. If I fix it, that would be nice too.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Did it snow? Wind?

Something blocked/moved your dish?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
aepca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I was just going to start a thread myself about a similar issue.

I recently moved and today a Bell technician installed the satellite at my new home. After he left everything worked fine for a couple hours than suddenly I lost the signal and it got stuck on 0 of 5 on the progress bar. When I do the check switch test the 82 satellite is green but the 91 satellite shows a red X.

I called Bell and went through all their troubleshooting suggestions and nothing worked so they booked me an appointment with a technician but thats a week or so from today. I wish I could fix this myself.
aepca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

HHH:
- What model(s) of receivers?
- What are you getting for signal strength? Check transpoders 11+12 on both 82 and 91.
- Run a check switch.
- Physically check your switch to be sure it is plugged into power still.

If all of those still give you a bunch of zeros for signal strength, take one of the receivers and hook it directly into the satellite feeds that go into the switch. Then run another check switch if you still aren't getting signal, and re-report your signal strengths.

Basically you most likely have one of the following:
- Bad switch
- No power to switch
- dish got bumped and now isn't aimed right.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bet with the wind the last few days, your dish most likely moved out of alignment. A couple of degrees can kill the feed.

Check your signal strength, if its all red then your dish is out of alignment. If you can get your hands on a Satellite finder then you could align it yourself. Make sure your skew is at the proper angle and your horizontal angle is proper. If that's all good then you should just need to align left to right.

Last edited by csnarpy; 01-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
HHH:
- What model(s) of receivers?
- What are you getting for signal strength? Check transpoders 11+12 on both 82 and 91.
- Run a check switch.
- Physically check your switch to be sure it is plugged into power still.

If all of those still give you a bunch of zeros for signal strength, take one of the receivers and hook it directly into the satellite feeds that go into the switch. Then run another check switch if you still aren't getting signal, and re-report your signal strengths.

Basically you most likely have one of the following:
- Bad switch
- No power to switch
- dish got bumped and now isn't aimed right.

By 'bad switch' do you mean the metal box that plugs into the wall with cable running in and out of it? I think that's what it was. I unplugged it and moved to a different outlet and then everything started working again. Not before I almost killed myself going on the roof though. Thanks for all the replies guys. Saved me $75.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

If it has a total of 8 cables running in and out then that is your switch. If it just has 2 coax cables running in and out then that is the power supply for the switch. Not that it matters now, but so you know for future.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
aepca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I know this thread wasn't for me but thanks anyway.

I fixed my issue the exact same way as HHH, just moved the power to a different outlet and everything works again.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken should set up his own 1-800 number for all CP inquires into Bell Maybe some people might actually get helped!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You speak the truth. I've been on the phone with the for 52 minutes and counting just trying to CANCEL my service call. Terrible, terrible company....It's a good thing for them that they have unmatched channel lineups.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
You speak the truth. I've been on the phone with the for 52 minutes and counting just trying to CANCEL my service call. Terrible, terrible company....It's a good thing for them that they have unmatched channel lineups.
I usually just let the guy show up and tell him to go away because you know they rep will "cancel" your service call but someone will show up anyways, right?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Weird, when I called last week, I was never on hold. I got straight through. And as long as you don't hit #1 for technical support, you can get a real human in Calgary/Canada instead of some guy in india.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Well, that isn't always the case Flip. I have found that calling into regular customer service is hit and miss. When I got my 9242 I was also wanting to change one of my channel packs and got overseas support. That took about 1/2 an hour.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

My experience has been that it is better to call the customer service during the week, rather than on weekends. Perhaps it is just coincidence, but the weekday calls seem to go faster, and are more effective, than the weekend calls.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
aepca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Well, my signal disappeared again. I have good signal strength on 82 odd and even but on 91 only the even transponders work. All the HD channels that I tried seem work but many SD channels do not.

I tried plugging the power for the switch into a different outlet again but no luck this time. This is so frustrating...my dish just got installed yesterday and I'm already having issues and it takes two weeks for a technician to come.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the bad signal happening on all receivers? If not check your cabling and connections from receiver to your switch. If it's happening on all receivers check your 91 satellite cables from your switch to your dish.

I recently ran into a similar problem with one of my receivers, signal only on 82 even, so I plugged it into another cable and everything was fine. So I'm going to replace the one cable from the switch to the receiver.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
aepca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The signal loss is on all receivers.

Tomorrow I will go on the roof to check the cables. I have a spare switch that doesn't require power I was thinking of trying out just to see if the issue is with the cables or the switch/power.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What type of switch is the spare?
You can also take one of the 91 cables and plug it directly into a receiver. If that works try the other 91 cable. If both work, it's probably your switch or it's power.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
What type of switch is the spare?
You can also take one of the 91 cables and plug it directly into a receiver. If that works try the other 91 cable. If both work, it's probably your switch or it's power.
Solid post.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
aepca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Its a SW21 switch.

I'm still thinking its something with the switch or the power adapter because when I unplugged it and and plugged it back in earlier today everything started working again for a couple hours.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.