Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #1861
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the recommendation on Icarus. It was phenomenal.

(phenomenal. not to be confused with stanozolol, aka a Michael Bay reboot)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #1862
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Icarus was really good...and another reason why we should never trust Russians.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #1863
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think shows like that would get boycotted into oblivion. Just thinking about some of the politically incorrect stuff on Night Court. Derogatory jokes about a gays and transgender, racial stereotypes were pretty prevalent in the writing.
Not a TV show obviously but I wonder if Blazing Saddles could even be made today.

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #1864
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Kathy Bates new series Disjointed is kind of funny.

Unfortunately the laugh track kind of ruins it for me.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #1865
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Not a TV show obviously but I wonder if Blazing Saddles could even be made today.

I think it's similar to "All in the Family". The humour is about the dumb kind of comments Archie makes. We're really laughing at him, not with him, or empathizing with his point of view. In "Blazing Saddles" you have the strong protagonist, and you are laughing at the racists' stupidity. One movie that comes to mind is "Idiocracy". The smart people in the movie don't say anything really racist or bigoted, while the obviously moronic characters do.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #1866
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's similar to "All in the Family". The humour is about the dumb kind of comments Archie makes. We're really laughing at him, not with him, or empathizing with his point of view. In "Blazing Saddles" you have the strong protagonist, and you are laughing at the racists' stupidity. One movie that comes to mind is "Idiocracy". The smart people in the movie don't say anything really racist or bigoted, while the obviously moronic characters do.
All true. But Blazing Saddles still couldn't be made today. Even though it's clearly anti-racist, the language it uses and attitudes it satirizes have become taboo to portray, even when they're portrayed as idiotic.

A comedy about racism would extremely hard to get made today, full-stop. But back in the 60s and 70s they made comedies about everything - racism (Blazing Saddles, All in the Family), pedophilia (Lolita), Nazis (the Producers, Hogan's Heroes), etc.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-01-2017 at 08:38 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #1867
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conservatives who watched all in the family thought Archie was the hero and the show was making fun of liberals.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #1868
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One pattern I notice is that it's a lot easier to have racial humour that talks about whites embracing and appropriating black culture than it is to show those who disparage it. While Atlanta definitely has an element of showing systemic racism, characters are more likely to interact with white folk who are more inappropriately pro black culture. Get Out had a similar commentary. I think that there's a safety that you can show that type of racial bias without being too confrontational.
From the couple episodes I've seen, Dear White People is a bit more balanced in showing both types; it'll also have a harder time reaching main stream because it does have a more uncomfortable tone.

-

Okay, unrelated Netflix recommendation; for the documentary crowd, Finding Vivian Maier is great, about a nanny who was posthumously discovered to be an absolutely brilliant street photographer.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #1869
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
All true. But Blazing Saddles still couldn't be made today. Even though it's clearly anti-racist, the language it uses and attitudes it satirizes have become taboo to portray, even when they're portrayed as idiotic.

A comedy about racism would extremely hard to get made today, full-stop. But back in the 60s and 70s they made comedies about everything - racism (Blazing Saddles, All in the Family), pedophilia (Lolita), Nazis (the Producers, Hogan's Heroes), etc.
I dunno.

You see some pretty edgy stuff today still. In "Million Ways to Die in the West" they play a shooting game that has the participant shoot at tin facsimiles of black people stealing watermelons from a field.

Tropic Thunder had a major character in blackface.

Gran Torino lets the racist epitaphs fly.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 09-02-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #1870
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cliff, you either need to see more current movies or stop looking back at that era with the twisted view of nostalgia. Lolita was re-made in the late 90s and much more explicit then the original. The Reader in 2008 about a grown woman and a 15 year old boy. Many other movies about taboo subjects.

Tarantino's and Django Unchained laugh at your assertion movies about race and language like that can't be made today. All of Tarantino's films are essentially comedies IMO. Comedies like White Chicks and Borat pushed that envelope as well. Borat is just as out there with it as Blazing Saddles was.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #1871
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I dunno.

You see some pretty edgy stuff today still. In "Million Ways to Die in the West" they play a shooting game that has the participant shoot at tin facsimiles of black people stealing watermelons from a field.

Tropic Thunder had a major character in blackface.

Gran Torino lets the racist epitaphs fly.
Yeah I think pretty much every adult cartoon significantly eclipses any sort of racist satire from the past. Some of that may have been viewed as more controversial than today given the state of race relations and what was viewed as "proper" entertainment, but it certainly used much more extremely in things like Family Guy.

In fact, I would argue that if Blazing Saddles was made today it would be much worse as the satire had to be much more subtle in those days to not insult the people who actually carried those views (usually people in powerful positions). It's subtlety in satire that seems to have seen a drop, at least in North American media.

Last edited by Coach; 09-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #1872
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the OA. Wtf? Did anyone else watch it and if so, can you please tell me what it was about.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #1873
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I just watched the OA. Wtf? Did anyone else watch it and if so, can you please tell me what it was about.
Yes, I watched it. No, I can not tell you what it is about.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #1874
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I just finished episode 3 of The Defenders. That's what I've been waiting for. So good.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #1875
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

All three seasons of Toast Of London are now available. It's a hilarious show.

NSFW!

Last edited by DownInFlames; 09-04-2017 at 05:31 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #1876
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think it was kinda pseudo-deep, meaning that it was strange enough to make you think that maybe there was all this hidden meaning and connection behind everything, but I'm not convinced there was anything deep.

Spoilering just in case:
Spoiler!
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #1877
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Silence" was pretty bad for Martin Scorsese film. The cinematography made my eyes hurt. There were some interesting themes examined, but it was a little too long and paralleling "Apocalypse Now" in many ways.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #1878
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I think it was kinda pseudo-deep, meaning that it was strange enough to make you think that maybe there was all this hidden meaning and connection behind everything, but I'm not convinced there was anything deep.
Question for you. Is Prairie really what she thinks she is, or is she just mentally ill? You seem to think she isn't crazy. I'm not sure there's any good reason to prefer that view.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #1879
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the documentary on bitcoin last night. Was pretty good, learned some stuff from it.

I find it funny the one guy went to jail for selling bitcoins to someone who then sold them to people who used them to buy drugs. Like they say in the movie, how is it any different than a bank machine giving money to someone to buy drugs? I mean there is likely more to the story but that seemed dumb to me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #1880
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I watched the documentary on bitcoin last night. Was pretty good, learned some stuff from it.

I find it funny the one guy went to jail for selling bitcoins to someone who then sold them to people who used them to buy drugs. Like they say in the movie, how is it any different than a bank machine giving money to someone to buy drugs? I mean there is likely more to the story but that seemed dumb to me.
Documentaries are like some guy spouting out at the bar, they can tell an engaging story, but it's never the whole story and drama always trumps truth and accuracy.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: