Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #1841
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bates Motel ended in April after 5 seasons. It looks like Netflix only has the first four for now. So, there's still one season left to be added.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #1842
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know when S5 airs?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #1843
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was a show called Squinto.

I second that solid 80s and 90s sitcoms could save netflix. WKRP, taxi, cheers... sort of thing. They were in reruns when I was in school, and I watched at least one of them everyday before supper. Bunch of good (currently lost) shows out there.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #1844
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Bates Motel ended in April after 5 seasons. It looks like Netflix only has the first four for now. So, there's still one season left to be added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Anyone know when S5 airs?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #1845
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I wish there was a show called Squinto.

I second that solid 80s and 90s sitcoms could save netflix. WKRP, taxi, cheers... sort of thing. They were in reruns when I was in school, and I watched at least one of them everyday before supper. Bunch of good (currently lost) shows out there.
I would be curious how those shows stand up over time. WKRP was my favourite.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #1846
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Defenders was fine... but am I the only one who was actively rooting for Elektra?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #1847
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kathy Bates new series Disjointed is kind of funny.

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #1848
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched Founder last night. The biopic about Ray Kroc.

Was actually a pretty well done movie. Makes you feel a bit for the McDonalds brothers.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #1849
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agreed. It was a pretty good movie and I actually like Ray Kroc's drive and determination to make McDonald's as big as it became. I really don't like how he screwed the brothers out of their 1% royalty though. McDonalds would have still been a multi-billion dollar company regardless. Definitely a dick move.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #1850
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I just started watching Cheers. I'd say it holds up. It's on CraveTV, which has awful quality and a poor UI.

There's word that CBS is going to bring their streaming service to Canada soon, and they have Taxi and WKRP.

I like watching old shows like Night Court and Newsradio. I watch them semi-regularly so I try to buy the DVDs and put them on my NAS for convenience. Unfortunately, not everything is available on disc.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #1851
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I've been watching The Wonder Years with my kids. They're loving it. I wish it was back on Netflix to make it easier to track down the episodes.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #1852
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post

I think shows like that would get boycotted into oblivion. Just thinking about some of the politically incorrect stuff on Night Court. Derogatory jokes about a gays and transgender, racial stereotypes were pretty prevalent in the writing.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #1853
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think shows like that would get boycotted into oblivion. Just thinking about some of the politically incorrect stuff on Night Court. Derogatory jokes about a gays and transgender, racial stereotypes were pretty prevalent in the writing.
Also All in the Family.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #1854
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think All in the Family was different. They were making fun on Archie Bunker and bigots, while I think shows like Night Court or Married with Children were making fun of the minorities. At least that's my recollection. The last Night Court episode I remember was when Dan's plane crashed over the Alaska or something and they made fun of Native traditions.

I don't think we will get anything like those shows again unless the bigotry and racism is done ironically. "Shameless" sometimes treads there with Frank.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #1855
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I just started watching Cheers. I'd say it holds up.
I've been watching Cheers from season 1 on Crave and it definitely holds up. The writing is still some of the best ever in a sitcom, and the cast is top-notch. Shelley Long became the butt of jokes because she left the show for a movie career that fizzled, but in those first few seasons on Cheers she was hitting it out of the park.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-28-2017 at 10:18 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #1856
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else watch the Death Note? It's getting horrible reviews but I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought Willem Defoe as Ryuk was fantastic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1241317/?ref_=nv_sr_1

4.1/10 on IMDB but 21% of voters have given it a 1/10. I know there was concerns about remaking a cult classic and also because it's been 'whitewashed' - is that the reason for all these bad votes?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1857
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I'm totally the opposite, we need more of that, not make new stuff but to see what it was like.

You have to see things to be able to identify them so just eliminating them is counter-productive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #1858
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Good question. The other night I saw the kid who plays Norman in promos for a medical drama <?> debuting this fall.

The show was 8/10-good in season one, and I can't even get through the fifth season it's gotten so bad
Really? I thought season 3 was bad but season 4 and 5 were excellent as they moved away from the silly sub-plots and focused on Norman's deepening psychosis (and of course, when he finally breaks).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #1859
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Anyone else watch the Death Note? It's getting horrible reviews but I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought Willem Defoe as Ryuk was fantastic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1241317/?ref_=nv_sr_1

4.1/10 on IMDB but 21% of voters have given it a 1/10. I know there was concerns about remaking a cult classic and also because it's been 'whitewashed' - is that the reason for all these bad votes?
I didn't hate it. I liked that they put their own spin on the story, as opposed to just redoing the original.

Frankly the original is really cringe-worthy for most of the series. The stupid potato chip scene alone knocks it down several pegs IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #1860
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm totally the opposite, we need more of that, not make new stuff but to see what it was like.

You have to see things to be able to identify them so just eliminating them is counter-productive.
I don't think they would really resonate with anybody who has either grown up in this era, or adjusted their outlook on social issues. I am curious what somebody who had never seen the shows would think of them.

I will say the sitcoms of the 80s/90s were definitely better than some of the garbage that is considered popular, like 2 and Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc.