Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #21
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

If only it were possible to have Elliott the kickass goalie, as well as the red pads. I'd pay an extra half mil if I were Treliving.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #22
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, if he really wants to stay in Calgary, Flames management are usually reasonable with negotiating contracts. They'll have until July 1st to make the deal, otherwise like other's stated, there are others in the market if Elliott's camp wants to take it to FA.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Makes zero sense to sign him before the expansion draft. Trade a low pick for a young backup with upside who a team is going to lose like the blue jackets depth guys, protect them and then re-sign elliott.

The league will never be able to legally prove that signing after the expansion draft happened intentionally unless someone is stupid enough to put something in writing.

Unless the flames are bringing back johnson anyway. Then I guess re-sign him as soon as playoffs end.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #24
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Makes zero sense to sign him before the expansion draft. Trade a low pick for a young backup with upside who a team is going to lose like the blue jackets depth guys, protect them and then re-sign elliott.

The league will never be able to legally prove that signing after the expansion draft happened intentionally unless someone is stupid enough to put something in writing.

Unless the flames are bringing back johnson anyway. Then I guess re-sign him as soon as playoffs end.
That's why the Flames signed McCollum.

He's our goalie that we will expose and we can protect Elliott if we sign him prior. Doubt we acquire another goalie when we can keep Johnson or give Gillies/Rittich a shot at camp.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That's why the Flames signed McCollum.

He's our goalie that we will expose and we can protect Elliott if we sign him prior. Doubt we acquire another goalie when we can keep Johnson or give Gillies/Rittich a shot at camp.
I think they should use every edge they have to amass assets and build value. So why burn the goalie slot on elliott if they don't need to? Pick up a young ahl star for a late pick from a vulnerable team then re-sign elliott. Someone like forsberg or korpisalo would be a low risk high upside gamble.

Unless like i said they are bringing back Johnson as we don't need more goalies in the system if so.

Gillies needs another year of full time starting in the A. Rittich looks ok in the AHL and if he earns the backup slot in camp so be it but gambling that he is ready to play 20 games next year with no plan B would be foolish.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #26
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Plus he's not going to be the only goalie available. He's playing well now, but he also stunk early in the year. If there is a free agent goalie out there who would want to avoid finding new chemistry with a new team and new coach and new system, it's probably Elliot.

Both sides should be able to find some common ground and work out a deal in the Summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
think it makes sense...

Elliot has been great, but i doubt it will be a bidding war for him...he'll get fair market value... any bidding war would be of minor impact imo...

Now that said, if he absolutely lights it up in the playoffs, calgary could accelerate talks, as i would imagine that there is a small window for him to re-sign prior to hitting the UFA market
Cant embed video.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/harv...-at-law/eliot/
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #27
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames can also deal directly with Vegas in obtaining a goalie. If Treliving has his eye on a goalie that is expansion eligible, but can't be protected, he can work out a deal with Vegas so that Vegas will select him and then ship him off to Calgary.

I am betting we will see a few of these deals happen. It is probably a good thing to just wait and see who is available and what the costs are - can't hurt. I am fine with re-signing Elliott though - he has been lights-out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #28
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem with it. Concentrate on the playoffs and then worry about it after.

If he really wants to stay and the team wants him back it'll work itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #29
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it'll be a huge issue to get him re-signed. You'd have to think at this point in his career, especially after what happened in St. Louis, that he'd want to be somewhere where he could be guaranteed a starting position. Calgary is a great fit for him now.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass View Post
I know the team wasn't clicking at the start but the switch from Red Pads to White has been incredible for Moose. These stats represent the switch occurring Nov 30. (correct me if I'm wrong). I like the New Moose.

Judging by that, I hope those red pads have been tossed into a blazing fire.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Judging by that, I hope those red pads have been tossed into a blazing fire.
There's more to to it than the red pads of course but it is hard to ignore the numbers. I'd say they were a contributing factor to some degree.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #32
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
There's more to to it than the red pads of course but it is hard to ignore the numbers. I'd say they were a contributing factor to some degree.
Nope.

Its the cursed pads.

/discussion.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

UFA's -

Elliot, Johnson, Bernier, Bishop, Miller, Darling, Mason, Condon, Kuemper, Kinkaid, McElhinney, Budaj, Nilsson

Lots of starter and back up options on the open market.

Teams with good tandems and can only protect one -

Colorado - Varlamov, Pickard
Pittsburgh - Murray, Fleury (NMC)
Detroit - Mrazek, Howard
Washington - Holtby, Grubauer
Nashville - Saros, Rinne (NMC)
NY Rangers - Raanta, Lundqvist (NMC)
Montreal - Montoya, Price (NMC)
Arizona - Smith, Domingue
Columbus - Bobrovsky, Korpisalo

Going to be a lot of options floating around out there in one way or another. I'm fine with re-signing Elliott anytime, but certainly have no problem with BT keeping his options open and keeping the pressure firmly on Elliott to perform down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #34
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
UFA's -

Elliot, Johnson, Bernier, Bishop, Miller, Darling, Mason, Condon, Kuemper, Kinkaid, McElhinney, Budaj, Nilsson

Detroit - Mrazek, Howard

Going to be a lot of options floating around out there in one way or another. I'm fine with re-signing Elliott anytime, but certainly have no problem with BT keeping his options open and keeping the pressure firmly on Elliott to perform down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I'd be fine with Elliot and any of Johnson, Darling, Mrazek, Grubauer, Saros, or Korpisalo for next year.

I think Dallas will end up with one of Fleury or Bishop somehow.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #35
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
UFA's -

Detroit - Mrazek, Howard

The diamond in the not so rough of all that is Saros. I think he may be a top 5 goalie some day
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #36
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Saros is actually exempt for Nashville.

Quote:
While Rinne will be the goalie the Preds protect, the fact that young backup goalie Juuse Saros is exempt from the expansion draft is good news for Nashville.
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...an-mike-fisher

Quote:
JUUSE SAROS DOES NOT NEED TO BE PROTECTED.

For some reason there was some panic and/or confusion about this, but Saros is exempt.
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2016/1...hville-protect
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #37
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Yeah, I thought those Hellboy-red pads were great until I realized they made him play like hell.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #38
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
UFA's -

Detroit - Mrazek, Howard

Personally, I think Grubauer or Korpisalo should be targets of the Flames... then sign Elliott in the offseason, and we're set in net.

I like Pickard too, but I kind of expect the Avalanche to expose Varlamov and keep Pickard protected.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #39
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Korpisalo. He is streaky as heck right now but if you walk him in via a tandem with say Elliott, he's going to be a stud goalie for a long time.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #40
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Grubauer myself. Offer the caps Rittich plus a mid round pick or something.

Rittich has looked really good in the AHL and does not need to be protected in the expansion draft. Caps can sign a journeyman back up this off season and let him compete with Rittich for the back up role behind Holtby plus they get a pick and don't have to risk losing Grubauer for nothing to Vegas. Of course, there is a good chance it's Orlov they lose to expansion anyways, so maybe they aren't that worried about Grubauer.

Good ole BT though, you know he's probably already kicked tires on him already.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote