Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
To be fair, none of us were really that upset when Wotherspoon got sent down this year, we all kind of expected it.. Now the grossmann signing on the other hand, THAT's when we all got upset (rightfully so)
Yeah, what does Grossman bring that Wotherspoon doesnt?

Does Wotherspoon's ass provide insufficient heat for the pressbox? Does he eat too much popcorn?

Can the Flames not afford to continue feeding Wotherspoon's debilitating popcorn addiction?

What is it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has taught me that some posters don't understand what 'overrated' and 'on the Flames' means.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #43
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sam Bennett
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
I won't mention any overrated players because that just leads to bashing but I will mention Backlund as the most UNDERRATED player on the team.
I won't forget when like 5 years back the Flames playing the Wings at the Joe and Babcock singled a then fairly young Backlund out as a solid player to look out for. He scored two goals that game I believe. And you can tell now that he's just the kind of center that the then-Wings would have had come out of their system. Strong 2-way player with smarts that can make skilled plays in the offensive zone.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #45
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me Bouma or Monahan.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
For me Bouma or Monahan.
Okay Bouma maybe, but Monahan? What do you guys want? The guy isnt Crosby.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #47
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think Monahan is overrated at all. He's a non-flashy guy that will give you 30 goals and 60+ points. Not going to blow the roof off, but he is most definitely an asset.

His smarts are probably a tad underrated. He doesn't dangle guys and still puts up those numbers. You have to know exactly where to be on the ice to do that. Some of elite skilled guys probably wish they had his smarts.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #48
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Giordano for sure. Glad we have him locked up so we can watch him get worse and worse.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The most ludicrous thing about this thread is that this board is unbelievably hard on Flames players. It is a wonder most people around here cheer for them at all given how much loathing there is. The expectations seem to be either you are the best player in the world, at which point we will defend you to the death (see Iginla, J) or you are a scrub. Given this, it is impossible for anyone to be OVERrated, as in generally considered to be of higher quality than has been shown. In fact, there are only two candidates at all, by virtue that there are only two players that everyone seems to actually like: Gaudreau and Brodie. And they aren't even overrated as much as they are just simply appreciated period. Everyone else on the team is either being crapped on, traded for someone else, or is under consideration for being a bust or a miscast player playing over their head.

Maybe it's time to start liking the Flames players for a change. Might be more fun.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodie, easily.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #51
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree OP. The win on Tuesday was making us a little too positive and optimistic. Thanks for bringing us back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Giordano for sure. Glad we have him locked up so we can watch him get worse and worse.
Well up until now he's only gotten better (career season last year, 21 goals) so I guess we're still waiting on that whole regression thing people seem to keep talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #53
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge Monahan fan and I think it's insane to call him overrated. If this thread was made later in the season once he gets going he wouldn't be mentioned in this thread. He's a perennial 25-30 goal scorer.

I don't think any of our young guys are overrated, and I agree 100% with the posters that say Backlund is the most underrated player.

My vote for overrated usually goes to the guys that people think can step in and replace NHLers right away, so that would be guys like Wotherspoon, Kulak, Hamilton etc. but I think Kulak has been solid so I don't know if I think anyone is overrated.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #54
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I don't think Monahan is overrated at all. He's a non-flashy guy that will give you 30 goals and 60+ points.
That is a fair assessment of him. However the media and especially fanbase are guilty of statements like "Obvious Future Captain" and "the Toews to Gaudreau's Kane". He is not those things. He is not even special defensively compared to his own peers like MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Scheifele, and Barkov yet I'm constantly reminded how "two-way" he is.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-20-2016 at 03:10 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #55
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Brodie, easily.
wat.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #56
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
That is a fair assessment of him. However the media and especially fanbase are guilty of statements like "Obvious Future Captain" and "the Toews to Gaudreau's Kane". He is not those things. He is not even special defensively compared to his own peers like MacKinnon, Scheifele, and Barkov.
The Toews comparisons are silly, I agree, but I see the future captain in him for sure.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #57
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
That is a fair assessment of him. However the media and especially fanbase are guilty of statements like "Obvious Future Captain" and "the Toews to Gaudreau's Kane". He is not those things.
Well, he is an assistant captain now and is signed for six seasons after this one...so, hardly a big overreaction to say that he seems like a good bet to be a future captain or at least that he has that potential. That really is just appreciating him and his current trajectory.

And, if you can compare Gaudreau to Kane than you can absolutely compare Monahan to Toews. If it is ridiculous for one it is ridiculous for the other. Plus, the whole idea of those type of comparisons is that they are approximations. Saying "Monahan is Toews to Gaudreau's Kane" is not the same thing as saying "Monahan is as good as Toews".

Overrating would be to say that he is one of the best centres in the game, which I have never read anywhere. Or saying that he is the best centre the Flames have had since Nieuwendyk...oh wait, he probably is. I guess I am OVERrating him by not considering the amazing centres this team has had like...David Moss. Quick, better throw some brakes on this crazy Monahan hype train! We wouldn't want to actually appreciate a 21 year old centre who has already scored 30 goals in a season.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.

Last edited by wingmaker; 10-20-2016 at 03:19 PM.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #58
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ferland for sure.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #59
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole ''who is the most overrated player'' talk doesn't really jive with me. The player himself isn't overrated. He is what he is. It's the fans who place them up on a pedestal and put unrealistic expectations on them that are the issue.

Monahan or Bennett aren't overrated. They are what they are. Maybe if you are one of those who expect either of them to be a bonafide franchise player, you are the one who is out of touch with reality. Not them.

Whenever someone speaks of a player being overrated, it makes it seem like its a knock on the player. If you think a player is overrated, maybe it is you who have an unrealistic expectation of them.

Once you proclaim a player as a potential franchise player (like many do with Bennett), then you have placed this expectation on him and it puts him in a position to look like a failure when he doesn't reach them. That's on you the fan. Not the player.

The only thing that is 'overrated' is the expectations some fans put on players. Those are the fans that need to be called out. Not the players.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #60
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like the term 'overrated' either.

If the question is who is currently performing below expectations, or better yet below what we have been led to believe is their potential, then I say Sam Bennett.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote