Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #61
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I liked it overall, but agree with some of the complaints that they could have edited out at least 30 minutes and made it better.

Could have cut out Julia Louis-Dreyfus entirely. Also I had no idea who Ironheart was, but she could have had way less involvement and I think the story would have been better. I get that she has her own comic book history, but it always feels like such a cop-out to have someone conveniently be essentially the smartest person in the world who can make the most advanced technology easily (and also a cool kid!).

Same with the plan to fight the water based army at sea... just a baffling strategy.

I think with 30 minutes cut out it would have been good-great, but it was ok-good as is. Also, Lupita Nyong'o is gorgeous.
Yes. She's one of those girls that is so pretty it's hard not to stare. To be honest I was hoping she would be taking up the mantle. Not based on physical attractiveness, but ability to act and just her already established ability to fight. She seemed like T'Challa's equal in the first movie. Seemed like the logical choice to me..
Old 11-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #62
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to tell your own story, be a backdoor pilot for a new character & series, and also lay groundwork for another movie. The interconnectedness is a selling feature, but it's also a hinderance when it's not used right. Reading some of these remarks makes me think the balance was off on this one. Especially when little mid-credit and post-credit teasers have worked well as scaffolding as the movies to date have rolled out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #63
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Tough to tell your own story, be a backdoor pilot for a new character & series, and also lay groundwork for another movie. The interconnectedness is a selling feature, but it's also a hinderance when it's not used right. Reading some of these remarks makes me think the balance was off on this one. Especially when little mid-credit and post-credit teasers have worked well as scaffolding as the movies to date have rolled out.
For a company who has done a tremendous job at knowing when to introduce a character cold and when to give them sufficient background and a soft intro, Marvel/Disney sure flubbed this one.

I'm only a moderate BP fan but this is one of those movies that felt like it was so close to being amazing that it is kind of annoying that they screwed it up. When a movie is awful, it feels like a total miss and it's like 'who cares? that was unsalvageable' but this was legit frustrating because they were so close, yet so far.

I'm just happy there's a marvel property I care enough to talk about. For the last little while it's been pretty meh.

My 5 point plan to turn BPWF into a great superhero film. Spoilered for length:

Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #64
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

/\
I think the Midnight Angle thing would have been fine as a teaser. Show the suit, introduce the girlfriend, and leave it be until the TV series. Then in the TV series, give them a training montage, and reason to need to suit (there were a whole bunch of Dor in that battle, so it's not like they couldn't have joined the battle without the suit).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #65
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

An almost 3 hour movie about how to deal with grief. What an emotional journey.

I liked a lot about this. The main story and themes were great and I loved Namor as the villain. Ryan Coogler definitely has a knack for presenting serious themes in an entertaining way. I did not like the addition of Riri or the suits. Was like Disney saw how America Chavez was used as a plot device and wanted an even more useless plot device character. Also not a fan of the final battle especially after how good the 2nd act fight scene was. Another critique is that for a movie called Black Panther there was very little Black Panther. To be expected given the circumstances but couldn’t help but feeling there was a better story here if Boseman was still alive. My favourite part was the Killmonger cameo. One of the best scenes in all of the MCU. 7/10