Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #61
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not to mention that these cities that are hundreds of years old and have much higher densities than Calgary. Making public transportation a much more viable alternative for commuting.

Oh and the fact that most of the people in these places don't cry and whine about how increased density will ruin everything.
Thing is, increased density hardly solves anything. Europe is well past the point of self sufficient food production, for instance.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #62
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hopefully it won't be 100 years before the C-Train is fixed...wait if those big cities have been stuck with their transport infrastructure for that long...we're screwed!

You can blame the Olympics. The 88' Olympics rushed and screwed everything. The C-Train should have been an underground system but they ran out of time and money.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #63
vicphoenix13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
But Victoria is so tiny. I could walk across it, powered by blackberries picked off of shrubs.
Victoria actually is the 15th biggest CMA in Canada. There's about 400,000 people in the Victoria area.
vicphoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #64
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicphoenix13 View Post
Victoria actually is the 15th biggest CMA in Canada. There's about 400,000 people in the Victoria area.
That is really not saying much.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #65
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, that's what happens when you have literally poured a few centuries' worth of money into transportation.
Seeing as most modern transport systems are under 100 years old, and seeing as most European cities had to be (at least partially) rebuilt after the Wars (or bring outdated transport systems up to standard, or dodge historical sites/buildings), that's not exactly making Calgary (being built from scratch at the beginning of the modern transportation era) look any better.

Calgary's problems are three-fold. One, a total lack of foresight. Two, way too much halfassing and succombing to idiot NIMBYs. Three, always opting for the "economical" choice, rather than the correct choice. Prominent examples are: 14th St. SWs don't connect, 17th Ave (1A) not connecting, no East-West freeway, roads randomly changing names, the SW ring road right-of-way sitting dormant for 40 years, a poorly planned main freeway, and a half tunnelled downtown c-train route. That's just for starters.

Last edited by Thunderball; 04-01-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #66
vicphoenix13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
That is really not saying much.
Well, Victoria isn't "tiny". Its a midsize city that's spread out across the southern tip of Vancouver Island.
vicphoenix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #67
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
Transit in Vancouver proper is fantastic. Out to the burbs I wouldn't know.
its good everywhere out there. I used transit all the time in vancouver, burnaby, new west, richmond and coquitlam.
mind you that was 10 years ago
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #68
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Our C-Trains seem to hit an inordinate number of people.
Our city seems to have an inordinate number of morons.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #69
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Disagree.

Vancouver's system is quite a bit better, I've used both extensively.
Agreed, Vancouver's transit system slaughters Calgary's transit system, its not even close. Transit is actually one of the few things I don't miss about Calgary. I hated taking the c-train to work in Calgary.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #70
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It Can't be as bad as Vancouver's
Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Our city seems to have an inordinate number of morons.
Oh yeah. On my way to work today someone thought they could squeeze their car on the other side of the tracks, but guess what? No. No they couldnt. So now this car is on the tracks the train has to stop and wait for the light to go green so all of the cars can move and let this idiot in, off the tracks so the train can move.

I was stunned. Where do these idiots come from?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #72
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What I did find surprising traveling Europe last summer was that almost every major city had a much better transit system than Calgary's. And we're talking cities that had their core built hundreds of years ago. The subway/tram/bus systems of Prague, Barcelona, Paris, Budapest and Vienna were all well designed with routes going in many directions. They did not suffer from the funnel problem that Calgary has where the major fast routes only go to and away from downtown. I traveled with ease in these places solely with a combination of walking and transit.

If all you need to do in Calgary is go downtown and back or go somewhere on the train line like the University or Chinook then its acceptable for anybody remotely close to a C-Train stop. Trying to go from the NE to the NW, from anywhere to the deep SW, from the SE to the SW, etc is a complete disaster involving multiple bus routes that could take 2+ hours or worse depending on the frequency of certain routes and your timing in catching the connections. I had a summer job once where I had to basically taxi some employees from the newer NE suburbs to the newest W suburbs because transit would have taken that person probably over 2 hours. As it was it took about 45 minutes by car. Having a transit system that takes 3 times longer than by car to go to work is pretty ridiculous.

Anyways I get the sense that some people in this thread are just doing their usual rah-rah Calgary cheerleading role, just getting defensive about Calgary and blindly believing that our city can't really be that bad compared to most cities. I wonder if some of those people have visited or lived in a wide variety of Canadian, US and European cities and used transit there. That said clearly some people that have homes and business conveniently located such that their Calgary transit experience will be positive. But try and imagine going to every one of your friend's houses via transit and you'll soon realize that the system is far from ideal. Personally I can't agree with the idea that if most people can get from home to work (downtown) to home just fine then the system is alright. My standards are a bit higher after seeing what cities who were constructed long before Calgary have managed to accomplish.
So very true. Those in charge of planing for this city are quite literally idiots. They may some degrees behind their name but attendance at an institution and regurgitation of facts does not equate brainpower. Ditto politicians who just because they managed to get some dufii to vote for them means very little either.

To add some Asian flavor look at Beijing or Singapore or Hong Kong. Heck even before the Oly's it was easy to get around Beijing. Come into the city on the train and you could use the blue line or red line to hit spot after spot. Now there are bullet trains coming into town and additional lines from the airport etc. Singapore is just superb. Clean and efficient. Got around there using just the LRT and the occasional bus and it was excellent. Right from the plane just hop on. Just like Hong Kong where you just walk from the airport right onto the LRT and get whisked downtown.

In comparison Calgary is a sad joke. The roads are comical and the LRT just plain stupid. Have a least one ring line. Put it either above the traffic or below it. Have roads where you aren't battling oncoming traffic to get off.

You know as in have at least half a brain.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #73
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Seeing as most modern transport systems are under 100 years old, and seeing as most European cities had to be (at least partially) rebuilt after the Wars (or bring outdated transport systems up to standard, or dodge historical sites/buildings), that's not exactly making Calgary (being built from scratch at the beginning of the modern transportation era) look any better.
So what you're saying is that Calgary needs to be bombed!

Quote:
Calgary's problems are three-fold. One, a total lack of foresight. Two, way too much halfassing and succombing to idiot NIMBYs. Three, always opting for the "economical" choice, rather than the correct choice. Prominent examples are: 14th St. SWs don't connect, 17th Ave (1A) not connecting, no East-West freeway, roads randomly changing names, the SW ring road right-of-way sitting dormant for 40 years, a poorly planned main freeway, and a half tunnelled downtown c-train route. That's just for starters.
Yeah, but there's fish on Glenmore now.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #74
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what you're saying is that Calgary needs to be bombed!
Well, there would at least be an excuse to have a cheap transport system and massive holes in the roads, right?

Quote:
Yeah, but there's fish on Glenmore now.
Yep, they made the big time now! Maybe they think the fish will distract us from the gridlock coming when we reach 37th.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #75
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post

In comparison Calgary is a sad joke. The roads are comical and the LRT just plain stupid. Have a least one ring line. Put it either above the traffic or below it. Have roads where you aren't battling oncoming traffic to get off.

You know as in have at least half a brain.
That's all very good, but these kinds of infrastructure costs billions of dollars. Calgarians all want this stuff, but flip out over $3 parking fees and minuscule levies for recycling.

These things cost money, and until Calgarians are willing to pony up, they won't get the transit or roads system, or city that they want. It also doesn't help that the province just yanks promised money for transit (the first thing to go) when times get a little tough and people don't put up much of a fuss.

Last edited by Bunk; 04-02-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #76
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
That's all very good, but these kinds of infrastructure costs billions of dollars. Calgarians all want this stuff, but flip out over $3 parking fees and minuscule levies for recycling.

These things cost money, and until Calgarians are willing to pony up, they won't get the transit or roads system, or city that they want.

Absolutely true. The fact is, Calgary needs better infrastructure in a lot of areas, not just transit--and it's going to cost some money. But if you want to see what happens when you don't spend the money, travel to Philadelphia. It ain't pretty.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #77
Cscutch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe it is just me but I have had so much bad luck with the Vancouver transit systeme:

Example 1: We were waiting for a bus downtown and sudenly we seeing it approach, and then drive right by. It wasn't full and didn't say off or anything, and we were clearly waiting for it. So we phone there customer service line and they informed us that the stop we were at was closed. We asked about there being no sign there and they said we should of just known.

Example 2: Is that we were catching a bus just to go 10 blocks, it was cold and raining so we thought it would be easy, but because the stop was across a zone line the fare was suppose to be like $5 each , for ten blocks, the driver was nice and didn't charge us that much but still.
Cscutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #78
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the LRT system I'd like to see.

Created by "the Beltliner" a frequent contributor to skyscraperpage.

http://beltliner.blogspot.com/2008/0...207-phase.html

Estimated Cost: $20 billion by 2040

His blog explains phase by phase how it would be built and actually and estimate of how much it would cost. How come this kind of vision or plan doesn't exist with Calgary Transit? Without a real long term plan how do they expect senior levels of government to grab onto it and contribute significantly to funding? How do you protect for future needed right of ways beyond the planned 6 radial lines?
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #79
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Our trains suck because they can hit someone and not kill them imo. Seriously, how to do get hit by a train and live?
It's because Calgary's system is more C-Tram than C-Train.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote