Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #2101
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Used an app similar to Uber in Seattle last week called Lyft.

The older lady who was ferrying us around seemed to like to stop at random in the middle of the street to get her bearings, went through some very questionable yellow lights and was very easily distracted by her cell phone, the lyft map and dispatch app that was on it, and the gospel playing on her radio. 20 blocks felt like days. Thank god it was after midnight and traffic was light. No tip.
Most people that drive for Uber also drive for lift. Lately anytime I take it both stickers are present on the car and the driver just goes to the closest fare.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #2102
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And if driving for Uber is so profitable, then the costs associated with the city's by-laws shouldn't be an issue.
I forgot what thread I was in. For a minute I thought this was iggy oi's post in the Alberta politics thread.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #2103
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

News Update

New recommended changes to the bylaw will go before Council at the beginning of November: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Docum...Amendments.pdf

If approved, there will be a new fee structure for TNCs depending on the number of authorized drivers for the company. This fee will range from $5,000 for a company with a maximum of 100 drivers, to $20,000 for a company with more than 1000.

The per driver licence fee would drop to $15, and a 20 cent per trip fee would be introduced.

All drivers will still require an appropriate class of licence and a Police criminal background check. All vehicles will still require appropriate insurance and vehicle inspection.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #2104
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber is awesome, although I gave my first non five star review the other day. The driver assumed I was American and asked how my buddy Trump was doing
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #2105
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And if driving for Uber is so profitable, then the costs associated with the city's by-laws shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I forgot what thread I was in. For a minute I thought this was iggy oi's post in the Alberta politics thread.
Fact of the matter is the costs aren't outrageous, uber just wants to keep their service as cheap as possible so they can collect their cut while leaving all the risks and responsibilities on the clients and drivers. If drivers have to pay for the extra costs associated with complying with the bylaws they will likely not be able to afford uber's share from the fares.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #2106
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Couldn't get a ####ing cab to go to the flames game Friday. It's ridiculous how much pull the owners of the cab plates get with our council. Embarrassing really.

Looking forward to having Uber back.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #2107
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Couldn't get a ####ing cab to go to the flames game Friday. It's ridiculous how much pull the owners of the cab plates get with our council. Embarrassing really.

Looking forward to having Uber back.
There are alternatives, try tappcar
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #2108
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Uber to Launch in Calgary October 15 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

Is this actually used enough that there are vehicles available at peak times? I've never heard of it. I'll try it out this wknd, thanks

Edit: the reviews of tappcar are just terrible

Last edited by heep223; 10-17-2016 at 10:53 PM.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:55 PM   #2109
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a newer company, they are based out of Edmonton and have been quite successful there, there aren't as many drivers in Calgary but there are also less people who know about the service so that could help with driver availability. I've only used it once here but the driver was there to pick me up within 15 mins and the price was cheaper than a regular cab.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #2110
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also make a reservation with their app
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #2111
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is stopping prospective Uber drivers from operating in Calgary illegally? Is there a team of undercover cops giving prohibitive fines?
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #2112
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I hear that Keys Please is opening a version of this. I've used Keys Please a bunch of times over the years, and I have nothing but good things to say about them (except that they get busy, just like cab companies).
I look forward to giving them more of my money. Bring on the Uber clones. Buh-bye, taxi mafia.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #2113
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
What is stopping prospective Uber drivers from operating in Calgary illegally? Is there a team of undercover cops giving prohibitive fines?
Unlike Edmonton, which actually fired their only cop doing undercover checks of gypsy cab drivers, Calgary was aggressive enough in going after people operating in violation of the court's injunction that it dissuaded such activity.

Certainly from Uber's perspective, allowing its drivers to operate illegally would have been a fantastic way to entrench the city's position.

As far as the recommended changes to the by-law goes, two things jump out at me. First, the new fee structure scales by size, unlike Edmonton's by-law. Which is actually good, as Oilerville's rules are designed to restrict the ability of smaller Uber competitors to enter the market.

Most importantly, a police background check remains a requirement. Given Uber's history of shortcutting on security, I'm very happy to see this one remained in place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #2114
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

News Update

New recommended changes to the bylaw will go before Council at the beginning of November: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Docum...Amendments.pdf

If approved, there will be a new fee structure for TNCs depending on the number of authorized drivers for the company. This fee will range from $5,000 for a company with a maximum of 100 drivers, to $20,000 for a company with more than 1000.

The per driver licence fee would drop to $15, and a 20 cent per trip fee would be introduced.

All drivers will still require an appropriate class of licence and a Police criminal background check. All vehicles will still require appropriate insurance and vehicle inspection.
and has anyone made a reasonable insurance available for those part time drivers that make Uber work?
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #2115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Intact has. Drivers in Edmonton are using it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #2116
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Calgary has specific bylaw /peace officers to deal with taxi licencing issues.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #2117
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I've tried tappcar twice and both times they didn't show up - once trying to get a cinematographer to the airport to Vancouver...

I'm 0-2 with tappcar and won't try again.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #2118
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Cabs has an app that works really well. Can even track the car. It doesn't go to the dispatch, it just dispatches the closest available car directly to you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...itedCabs&hl=en
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #2119
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Used tappcar twice this weekend, with one being a reservation around 2AM. No problems, friendly driver and definitely cheaper than a cab.
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #2120
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I hear that Keys Please is opening a version of this. I've used Keys Please a bunch of times over the years, and I have nothing but good things to say about them (except that they get busy, just like cab companies).
I look forward to giving them more of my money. Bring on the Uber clones. Buh-bye, taxi mafia.
I saw that they, Ride Please, are looking for drivers right now. They should be starting up very soon (before the holiday season for sure.) Unlike TappCar it seems like their experience is going to mimic Uber with payment and tips flowing through the App instead of being a separate process.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote