Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Tell me about being a Dad...

So my wife has a bad case of PUPPS, and we're thinking of inducing her today! Any tips and tricks I should know going into the delivery room? And post-care?

This is our first and man I am getting nervous!!! but also very excited!
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best thing ever.

You'll get the hang of it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully you are good around the house in regards to cooking and cleaning as your wife will be providing full attention to your new child and when she's not she will want to sleep when she can. Congratulations btw.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
So my wife has a bad case of PUPPS, and we're thinking of inducing her today! Any tips and tricks I should know going into the delivery room? And post-care?

This is our first and man I am getting nervous!!! but also very excited!
When she is squeezing, bending your arms into painful positions, yelling screaming etc.... in an attempt to deal with her own pain during childbirth......

Just go with it.

Oh...and congrats.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take the night or two while she's in the hospital and get the best sleep of your life.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are at Foothills, I would say put in a request for a private post delivery room as soon as you can as the post delivery rooms are pretty small for 2 families and all the visitors. Not sure about the other hospitals, but I assume the same- except maybe the new south health campus where delivery and post delivery rooms are apparently the same and pretty decent?

Don't fret if they need to resort to a vaccuum or forcep delivery- a little scary, but done all the time and very safe.

And of course, everyone says dont take a peak no matter the urge to do so. Ya, probably good advice for most spouses, but there are some guys out there that arent bothered by that kind of stuff. I certainly didn't and dont regret it. Stood to the side and a little behind.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch it happen. For real, it's a once(ish) in a lifetime thing and totally amazing/crazy to see. It's way more cool than gross. Except for when the placenta comes, that's actually pretty nasty.

And be ready to call your mom and thank her too. After you actually watch what they go through to bring us into the world!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered faking your death and moving to a remote, non-extraditional, rural destination and potentially adopting the life of the luchador?

Most people dont, but its an option. Its there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring snacks and water, it's not always easy to sneak out and get some when you need it.

Once you go home after the baby is born get some sleep, it will be a wild ride after they get home.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a dad is great, stressful, frustrating, enjoyable, and life changing all rolled into one ball. It starts before the child is even born, the looking forward to his/her arrival, all the planning, the worrying that something will go wrong before or during birth, and fretting about what kind of parent you will be. After they are born you will have that magical moment of holding your child the first time and you will be filled with joy. This will be followed by endless nights of broken sleep which will be filled with you wanting to tear your hair out. You will always be worrying if the baby is ok when they are sleeping and you will do random checks to make sure all is well. This will never end as long as you live, you will always be worrying about the well being of your child when they are not with you, no matter how old they get. You will get to live your childhood again through them and there will be so many magical moments and first times for them, and you. The early years are the best, when they want to cuddle up with or constantly do things with you and you are the all knowing entity in the universe. It will be the reverse once they hit puberty, they will never want to be around you and you will know nothing. In the end it will be clear that no matter how much money you made, or how much success you had in your life, your greatest accomplishment will be your children and the people they become.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
Knut

Exp:

Become comfortable with poop and puke.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm advice for the new dad...

everyone is going to want to come see baby first few days, we had a blackout period for those days so we could figure some things out. Your life just drastically changed and nothing is ever going to be the same again, it's not unreasonable to request that people allow you a few days to figure your new life out before putting their own desire to see YOUR new addition to YOUR family.

There will be times when you think to yourself "what am I doing wrong?"

The answer to that question is nothing, absolutely nothing. Every little person is different and the sooner you come to terms with that that quicker you stop reading every book out there how to raise your child and listening to everyone's advice (there will be tons of that with what you are doing wrong).

1 last thing...share your love with your newborn and your wife because you will never feel the love that you feel when you meet that little bundle of joy for the first time. It's so awesome!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, something I hadn't planned on doing, but ended up being pretty cool- the wife and baby stayed the extra night post-delivery like most typically do. I had planned on staying as well, but once you see the available chair and set up, you quickly realize it is easier said than done. Pretty sure most spouses end up going home for the night post delivery. Anyway, I left around 9pm and stopped at the Keg lounge next to foothills by mysef for a pint and dinner. Ended up being an awesome time of reflection and a mini celebration I guess (following the craziest 24hrs or so of my life). The place was completely empty as well, so it was perfect. There also may not be many times for you to be alone like that for a while, so good to take advantage of it!

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-09-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing: don't feel bad if you don't have the 'magic moment' of instantly falling in love with your kid when you first see them like you've heard about. Both my wife and I talked about it months later how we didn't have that right away and both felt guilty/weird about it but didn't want to say anything.

You might, but it's not crazy if you don't. They're a human, you're a human -- relationships take time. Especially for the dad who has been basically an observer of the whole thing and suddenly you're just holding this baby.

Just asked my wife and her general advice was: "it's easy if your wife isn't crazy." So there's that, haha.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interesting I see a few Dad's talking about going home from the hospital, I don't believe my wife is giving me that option lol.. I was under the impression that I would be sleeping there with her on the floor.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #16
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Interesting I see a few Dad's talking about going home from the hospital, I don't believe my wife is giving me that option lol.. I was under the impression that I would be sleeping there with her on the floor.
We had an emergency C-Section so we had a few days in the hospital. First night I stayed and had the worst sleep ever. Second night I went home and had the new worst sleep ever.

Being a first time father I couldn't help but lay in my bed and constantly wonder if everything was ok, was the baby ok, was my wife ok?? and this is even after my wife was a maternity and pediatrics nurse!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The delivery rooms at the foothills are huge and all have lazyboy type chairs. Very good for lying down if delivery is taking forever. The post delivery rooms are tiny though and have pretty basic sitting chairs- impossible to sleep in. Our nurses seemed to suggest that very few spouses end up staying. Plus, you will be exhasuted and need some sleep for the all important first drive home! Wife and baby will be well looked after. Nothing but amazing things to say about nursing staff at Foothills.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you're allowed to sleep on the floor, it's that lawn chair or bust.

Life will be better for both of you if you go home. At least one of you will be able to function semi-normally.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
The delivery rooms at the foothills are huge and all have lazyboy type chairs. Very good for lying down if delivery is taking forever. The post delivery rooms are tiny though and have pretty basic sitting chairs- impossible to sleep in. Our nurses seemed to suggest that very few spouses end up staying. Plus, you will be exhasuted and need some sleep for the all important first drive home! Wife and baby will be well looked after tat the hospital. Nothing but amazing things to say about how well they are looked after.
Are you.......are you insinuating that he should bring a magazine?

"Baby Delivery Quarterly"
"Fried Chicken Monthly"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously, my advice is don't do that to yourself! I "slept" one night while my with was in labour with our first on a hard chair and leaned over on the moving food table thing. To describe that as sleep is a disservice! I did that because she was in labour and obviously I didn't want to leave her and come back having missed everything. But once the baby is born, my advice is go get some rest and seriously men need to take care of themselves as well. I don't for a second mean that women don't have to take care of themselves through this (clearly they have more to go through and more pressures!) But there is no need to be a hero sleeping in a hard chair or on the floor just to stay by their side.

I would say that a lot of it feels a bit surreal and it really hit home for me when it was time to head home. Like you pack up the baby and stuff and it's like "OK, this is it. This human is coming home and staying with me now."
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote