Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default DNA/Genetic Testing

Just had a look at this website after seeing a documentary on it. It does seem slightly intriguing, but also like it could cause a lot of anxiety.

Has anyone else on CP done it? Opinions?

https://www.23andme.com/en-ca/
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBC's Marketplace just did an episode on DNA/Genetic testing. I'm not sure if you saw that or not.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...ing-gene-genie
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Reading the report can be a strangely out-of-body experience—like learning secrets about a friend you thought you knew well. This writer has gene variants linked to high susceptibility to the norovirus (a.k.a. the “winter vomiting bug”), as well as the ability to metabolize caffeine quickly (gratifying, given current consumption patterns).

Of greater concern to genetic experts, though, are the heavyweight indicators such as those for Alzheimer’s, breast cancer and Parkinson’s. Before disclosing them, the 23andMe site requires members to open a printed primer explaining the results and their limitations. In the case of the Alzheimer’s APOE variants, they can also watch a video presentation by a Harvard Medical School doctor, Robert Green, who assures members he’s not being paid for his appearance. “Finding you are at somewhat higher risk might cause distress,” Green acknowledges in the clip. “So give it some thought. If you think this information might distress you, you can simply decide not to view it. Or feel free to discuss it with a doctor or a genetic counsellor before you unlock and view your results.”

Such notes of caution litter the site. But critics complain they aren’t enough, because the thought of revelatory news a couple of clicks away is too tempting for most people to pass up. Adverse findings can trigger panic, while an absence of indicators provides false reassurance, warns Allie Janson Hazell, president-elect of the Canadian Association of Genetic Counsellors. Furthermore, putting the information in perspective requires expert understanding of the limitations of a genetic test, as well as a person’s family history, she says. Janson Hazell points to 23andMe’s tests for three mutations associated with breast cancer, which are most prevalent in people of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. “If I, a person of non-Ashkenazi ancestry, get a normal result back, I might feel reassured, even if there’s lots of breast cancer in my family,” she says. “This is where the potential for harm comes in.”

As you might expect, what is framed in Canada as “potential for harm” takes the form of direct accusation in the United States. Less than a month after the FDA fired off its warning letter to 23andMe, the company was fending off a class-action lawsuit alleging that its health reports were scientifically meaningless marketing tools allowing it to build up its inventory of saleable gene data. One commentator on Forbes.com warned that quality control is an issue at 23andMe, accusing the company of extrapolating from “a few reports about specific populations.”
http://www.macleans.ca/society/healt...sting-at-home/

I'm trying to find another article I read about a woman with a predisposition to breast cancer and her journey of finding these things out. Really altered my perspective on this sort of thing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
lv426
Draft Pick

A friend of mine had it done - they said it was quite interesting finding out what they might be predisposed for. They also found out that their genetic history was not what they had assumed (they were more European than Asian). I've thought about doing it, seems pretty neat.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
CBC's Marketplace just did an episode on DNA/Genetic testing. I'm not sure if you saw that or not.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...ing-gene-genie
That's the one. Just seemed so intriguing, but does a person really and truly want to know what they're predisposed too or what could be in their future?? Would it change my way of living and lead to self-improvement or despair?
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really know much about this but keep in mind you are voluntarily giving your DNA information to a company. I would want to be comfortable in how they store this information before doing so.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
That's the one. Just seemed so intriguing, but does a person really and truly want to know what they're predisposed too or what could be in their future?? Would it change my way of living and lead to self-improvement or despair?
GATTACA?

IMO, life is a self fulfilling prophecy. It's your choice to choose more pessimistic or more optimistic life outlook regardless of what you know.

I'd probably try to live healthier if I took the test. Not saying I would though. Hell, maybe the results are good, so I decide I have extra life to squander and do/eat things that shorten my lifespan.

The choice is yours.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Knut

Exp:

I did this a few years ago.

You do see some pretty cool information regarding ancestry etc. You can opt out of learning about your disease likelihood.

Here is my ancestry breakdown

Spoiler!

I guess my biggest concern would be selling this information to Insurance companies etc. I guess i just have to trust that they will not be able to discriminate based on this.

Some interesting aspects are genetic effects on certain medicines.

For example from the Drug Response section:

[QUOTE]Likely an ultrarapid or rapid metabolizer. Someone with this genotype typically metabolizes certain PPIs at a rapid rate. Although the standard dose is usually effective, some people with this genotype may benefit from a different dose, especially if being treated for H. pylori infection. If you are taking a PPI and your symptoms do not improve, consider talking to your doctor.[/QUOTE]

PPI's are for helping with stomach acid.

Last edited by Knut; 04-15-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Knut

Exp:

To add to this.. MY wife and I also found that we contain a variant for a genetic condition that can be passed onto our Children. WE have informed our Doctor and will be doing testing in their teenage years for it.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad bought me something similar last month.
National Geographics' "The Genographic Project"

I haven't done it yet, but it looks super interesting.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

nm
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I had 23 and me done a few years ago...think there is another thread on it somewhere.

I found it fun. No big surprises for me, thankfully. As much as it would suck to find out that you were at risk of some awful disease, there was a bigger chance you would discover you are at risk for a disease that can be helped if taken care of early. Great examples would be something like prostate or breast cancer. I'd be extra vigilant about going for checkups if my report showed something.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There was an article in one of the major papers awhile ago (can't remember which) where people applying for life insurance were asked if they had undergone any genetic testing, and if so, they were obligated to supply the results. In the states several laws have been drafted to prevent any such testing to be used in the determination of rates etc, but in canada.... Nada.
Pretty fu*ked up that the insurance biz believes it is their right to have your genetic predisposition
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
There was an article in one of the major papers awhile ago (can't remember which) where people applying for life insurance were asked if they had undergone any genetic testing, and if so, they were obligated to supply the results. In the states several laws have been drafted to prevent any such testing to be used in the determination of rates etc, but in canada.... Nada.
Pretty fu*ked up that the insurance biz believes it is their right to have your genetic predisposition
Is it because you know what you're at risk for? Don't they ask such questions on a questionnaire when you do a physical?

I remember answering all sorts of questions etc. I'm sure you could lie... but wouldn't it affect you on payouts if ever?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty neat what Hesla posted, but I'd rather find out a year from now if I had 2 years left.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did this a few years back. No surprises or major issues revealed for me, and some of the information was really interesting.

My genotype shows a slight risk for restless leg syndrome, which I don't have but 2 of my sisters do.

Received lots of requests from 3rd, 4th + cousins trying to figure out common ancestors.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
My dad bought me something similar last month.
National Geographics' "The Genographic Project"

I haven't done it yet, but it looks super interesting.
Yeah, I did that one a year of two ago. It doesn't purport to give any medical information though. Mine was pretty run of the mill British except for 3.6% Denisovan who were contemporaries of the (2.0% for me) Neanderthal. Apparently almost all modern humans have some of this ancestry, so there was interbreeding going on.

Quote:
As our modern human ancestors migrated through Eurasia, they met other hominin species and interbred. These “cousin” species, Neanderthal and Denisovan, are now extinct, but the genetic makeup of nearly everyone born outside of Africa today includes 1 to 4 percent DNA from these other hominins, living relics of ancient encounters.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we think that the AncestryDNA testing is accurate? I got a test as a gift and just got my results - 50% British, 40% Eastern European and 10% other. I don't know how they can tell that from saliva. My parents were both German. My daughter suggests my wife and I both take the test and then she does to see if hers is an average if her parents'.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Do we think that the AncestryDNA testing is accurate? I got a test as a gift and just got my results - 50% British, 40% Eastern European and 10% other. I don't know how they can tell that from saliva. My parents were both German. My daughter suggests my wife and I both take the test and then she does to see if hers is an average if her parents'.
That's if who you call "dad" is your biological father. Are you old enough that the milkman may have still been making his rounds when you were conceived?

All jokes aside, people don't know their family history as accurately as they think they do. And whether its adultery or promiscuity leading to pregnancies where the sperm donor may not be known with 100% certainty, there's a lot of things that can be incorrect in what you think is your family tree.

I had been reading about genetic testing, and one of the things that came up a few times was situations where a child had a medical condition and needed a medical procedure that required a donor match. Testing was done among family members to find a match and the testing revealed that "Dad" wasnt the biological father.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

Is that all this showed? I seen the commercials for it this weekend, and for $100, I'd expect to get a more comprehensive report, personally.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote