Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #61
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, at 1-7, the season is already over so there isn't much point to in-season moves anymore.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #62
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't even know what to say about Saturday's game. Knighthawks are always a tough opponent, but the Roughnecks got flat out-worked. Thought the Necks were better on loose balls and turnovers but our offence is still making too many bad passes and low percentage shots. Defensively, we still look less organized and guys are missing their assignments more than past seasons. And I'm not sure why we started Poulin after a few good outings from Frankie.

2-8 and they are still drawing 13,000+. More power to them, but I think people are going to give up much quicker than Flames fans. I just don't see a high percentage of hardcore committed lacrosse fans in the crowd.

From the discussion so far, I guess we just have to write off this season and hope things get shaken up in the off-season.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #63
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I don't even know what to say about Saturday's game. Knighthawks are always a tough opponent, but the Roughnecks got flat out-worked. Thought the Necks were better on loose balls and turnovers but our offence is still making too many bad passes and low percentage shots. Defensively, we still look less organized and guys are missing their assignments more than past seasons. And I'm not sure why we started Poulin after a few good outings from Frankie.

2-8 and they are still drawing 13,000+. More power to them, but I think people are going to give up much quicker than Flames fans. I just don't see a high percentage of hardcore committed lacrosse fans in the crowd.
I disagree - the bulk of the crowd is very loyal and hardcore. Probably around 9K - and the rest of the crowd is more variable. But regardless of the record the team puts in a great show and the game is a great time. And this is a team that has been VERY good for a long time. The crowd should be able to deal with a down year.

The team signed veteran forward Sean Pollock today. He could help - anything to shake up the offense. He won't solve everything but he's a good veteran player that knows how to produce, and will through a different look at teams.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #64
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The only thing that might save this season is the fact that the entire West Division is utterly terrible. But the Roughnecks need to go on a massive run immediately. One more loss probably buries us completely.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Good effort and a huge crowd, but still couldn't get it done. Essentially another one-goal loss too.

And one can guarantee that the Roughnecks will never again do a half-time gimmick as stupid as last night's was. Two different Roughneck players limped off the floor after wiping out on a wet spot left behind from that redneck idiocy.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #66
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the game last night, and have to wonder what impression Redneck Night left in other people's minds.

Sure, there were lots of folks dressed in hunting garb and plaid shirts, but I found that the side attraction of the Duck Dynasty folks actually took away from the game itself. It was actually a little embarrassing to watch how the club was acting like these guys were a big deal.

The action on the floor and the atmosphere in the crowd was as good as it's ever been at a Roughnecks game, two staples in why I would choose to attend a Roughnecks game over a Flames game any day.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #67
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It was a minor league promotion for a minor league. Nothing unusual there, and thankfully they didn't bring the overly bigoted guy in.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #68
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

good game tonight in spite of the reffing.... something like 9 power plays for edmonton and none for calgary.... will always be considered a minor league sport with reffing like that... roughnecks played their butts off. nice result
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #69
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to say, after moving out of the country a few weeks ago, I miss the lacrosse games the most.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #70
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
good game tonight in spite of the reffing.... something like 9 power plays for edmonton and none for calgary.... will always be considered a minor league sport with reffing like that... roughnecks played their butts off. nice result
How does giving one team more penalties than the other make this a minor league sport?

None of the penalties were undeserved - Calgary has a big problem with illegal substitutions this year, both of Snider's calls were just dumb.

I didn't see more than one or two missed calls for Edmonton and that was because the referee was watching another part of the field.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #71
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

there were definite calls that were missed on Edmonton, i agree, the roughnecks calls for the most part were deserved but there were plenty of holds on edmonton that werent called....
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #72
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Riggers also scored two goals on delayed calls so have to factor that in
Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #73
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Riggers also scored two goals on delayed calls so have to factor that in

Fair enough, i just felt as though the refs were very one sided, i do acknowledge the necks lack disipline and do take bone headed penaltys... i saw Dickson and Evans primariily get held a few times that i thought were penalties...
Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #74
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
^ Looks like a good one. We have two picks including NE's first.

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/nll...47/news_243967
So looking at the playoff picture in Calgary, we still have a shot. Need to beat Van.

I was wrong earlier when I said we have NE's 1st (Minny has that). We have Rochester's, it was acquired from New England so that's where my confusion came from.

We have:
Cal 1st
Roch 1st
Cal 2nd
Buff 2nd

That will be 4 really good prospects from the first 18 picks added to the stable.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #75
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
So looking at the playoff picture in Calgary, we still have a shot. Need to beat Van.

I was wrong earlier when I said we have NE's 1st (Minny has that). We have Rochester's, it was acquired from New England so that's where my confusion came from.

We have:
Cal 1st
Roch 1st
Cal 2nd
Buff 2nd

That will be 4 really good prospects from the first 18 picks added to the stable.

will be interesting to see what type of player(s) they pick, they need some beef on the back end. they give up too many goals when you compare them to the Edmonton and Rochesters of the league...
Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #76
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I expect them to take a left handed forward with the first pick and a defender with the second first. They' have the best right side in the league with Dickson and Evans.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #77
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

do you follow the draft eligible guys? just curious if this is a good draft? i dont expect they will be drafting a Mark Mathews kind of player, as they arent too plentiful.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #78
JiriHrdina

Exp:

It is a fantastic draft. Both at the top end and depth. Riggers feel they will get up to 4 impact players. I think you will see them move out one of Shattler or Dobbie in the off-season (guess is Shatts) to make room for a kid coming in. McBride will probably retire as will Moleski making room on D. Snider could also be dealt.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #79
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, Calgary's win and Vancouver's loss yesterday makes things interesting. Makes our final games, May 2 against each other, for all the marbles.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #80
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Yeah next week's game for Vancouver I think is entirely meaningless. Still comes down to that last game. Vancouver is horrible at home but have beaten the Roughnecks twice this season. Bottom line is if Calgary can't beat the Stealth - they don't deserve to get in.

I think Evans goes OFF and Calgary gets the win.