Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cam Ward is out 6-8 weeks

Thought it may be worth mentioning. Might as well examine what we might want from them for Kipper, if anything.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take their 1st round pick and a prospect although next season they have Kipper and Ward which I imagine they could turn around and move Kipper in the summer. Would suck for Kipper to change addresses two times but maybe he doesn't come back. Personally I don't think the Flames will entertain trading Kipper this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My pool!!!!!!!!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would take their 1st round pick and a prospect although next season they have Kipper and Ward which I imagine they could turn around and move Kipper in the summer. Would suck for Kipper to change addresses two times but maybe he doesn't come back. Personally I don't think the Flames will entertain trading Kipper this season.
I don't think they want to trade him, but if Carolina feels it needs to really win now after the big moves they made in the off season, they may offer more value. You'd be in a sell high mode knowing that he's probably gone after the next year anyway, and another 35 wins aren't worth not taking what the Hurricanes would offer.

If that makes any sense.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Kipper they have at least one strong bargaining chip as he has no NTC. really comes down to the quality of the offers and where the Flames decide if they are out of it. A case could be made for a team like CAR to make a strong offer with Ward out but right now the Flames are technically still in the hunt for the Division lead so I don't see Kipper being moved right now either.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know all too well that there are many degrees of MCL sprains/issues, but lets just hope that Kiprusoff didn't have the same degree of injury Ward has.

The Flames already kept the alarm bells muted by announcing 2 weeks initially, then 2 more weeks after that. Is this week 4 or 5 that Kiprusoff it out? And today he's in full practice. Good to hear.

Regardless, yes, the team or the player don't want to rush back from an injury...but the team needs him back for their best shot at a playoff spot.

Also, given that its been a decade since his last injury, you'd hope Kiprusoff, not familar with getting hurt, and, his body being 10 years older now, doesn't push it too hard either, "assuming" he'll be fine.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Could be an opportunity for the Flames to finally have a #1 centre. The Hurricanes have an excess of centres. They have E. Staal and J. Staal as their clear long term #1 and #2 centres. They also have Tlusty breaking through in a big way. Riley Nash is also on the door step.

The only issue is there seems to be no long term injury here. Ward is also signed very long term. Are they going to give up assets to acquire another #1 just to patch a temporary hole? They do have Ellis, who is one of the better backups in the league.

I'd also guess that LA and Vancouver are going to be in this is in a major way.

I think Calgary should go hard after one of Carolina's young centres. But I think a more likely package could be built around Giordano. Carolina currently has a revolving door of top-4 d-men. Giordano or even JBo could really help them right now. Tlusty might be untouchable (a guy can dream), but Nash+ could certainly be had for either of Gio or JBo. Could be a great deadline deal, if the Flames are sellers.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

ZERO chance the Flames trade Kiprusoff. I just cannot see it happening.

Which I am fine with because - unlike many posters apparently - I think he will be around for at least 3 or 4 more years yet.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough break for the Hurricanes. 6-8 weeks is a long period of time, but that does not necessarily point towards them getting a new starter. Ward is only 29 and is going to be their starter for a while. They might be more interested in a rental goalie as opposed to a goalie who will demand/want the starting job.

In my mind that rules out Kiprusoff and Luongo/Schneider.

They probably try to make a play for Bishop from Ottawa. A young goalie who can potentially split time with Ward down the road when Ward heals up. Another option would be splitting time between Ellis and Peters till Ward comes back. Ellis has played decent so far sporting a 2.53 goals against and 0.923 save percentage in his 7 appearances this season. Peters has also had a decent season in the AHL so far this year.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
you got PHANUEFED
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ellis can cary the load for the Cains.
you got PHANUEFED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canes make perfect trading partners for the Flames. I honestly think they would over pay for some supporting players we have. Time to win a couple of trades for once!

(not that the Flames haven't done well on some trades, but I really think we have the chance to hose a few teams this year. The Canes first rounder could end up being pretty high....)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He is in my pool.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post