Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 09:59 PM   #5541
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Calgary Fastener?

You could also try some bike shops. Black M6's are pretty common in the world of mountain bikes. 50mm length will be a bit trickier, but most shops have a huge Wurth bin of metric hex screws.

Or, Amazon but you'll end up with 100.
Actually I was looking at the picture and didn't see the 50mm length, definitely don't need that long. Maybe 10-15mm. Good suggestion on the bike shop, I'll give that a try
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:45 PM   #5542
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disc brake calipers use M6 bolts but on second thought you can also get them at most hardware stores.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...DIAMETER_CD_M6
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 08:25 AM   #5543
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

PM Hobbycraft, on 32nd Ave NE, has lots of small hardware.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:35 AM   #5544
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
PM Hobbycraft, on 32nd Ave NE, has lots of small hardware.
And that's not just their customers.

(I'm actually going there tomorrow)
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:03 AM   #5545
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendation for fixing a tear in a leather (actually probably more like vinyl) seat?
Is DIY even possible? If not where could I take it?
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:01 PM   #5546
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Any recommendation for fixing a tear in a leather (actually probably more like vinyl) seat?
https://www.crtechniques.ca/
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 01:52 PM   #5547
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone have good recommendations for auto detailing? I want my my 10 year old car which I cling to as being cool to look like a mirror so I can check out how hot my thinning hair is looking when I look back at it as I walk away.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:26 PM   #5548
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want the absolute best in the city, it's Autokosmetik (Jed, formerly of Mobile Reflections and Porsche Centre Calgary).
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 02:31 PM   #5549
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can't bring yourself to spend what Jed at Autokosmetik is worth (and his work is definitely something to behold), I swear by Doctor Detail Auto Salon on Southport Road. He did some great work on my car, and I usually send my winter vehicle to him for a deep clean of the interior once spring is in full swing to get the winter debris out.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 09:46 AM   #5550
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Where is it? Superficially on the side? Or somewhere with active movement like the actual seat? DIY is totally possible, but sorta in the same vein of whether you are comfortable with DIY oil change or doing actual engine repairs or want it to look decent or if you're just able to feel comfortable with lower level repairs that are functional and don't have to be the prettiest. I personally only do tire swaps and wipers myself for anything structural or safety related/non cosmetic. I don't even do oil changes myself, but I'd repair a seat myself.

Superficial rips you can use patch kits/glue without sewing, color matched markers and then conditioner to blend it and make it hardly noticeable.

But areas with more movement, you'll probably want to combine patching with sewing and you may even want to consider creating a pattern using the sewing to make the area look better/innocuous.

Proper repair likely requires a thicker thread (not basic fabric thread) and a curved leather needle. You could probably do it yourself for <$10-15 worth of materials (needle and color matching or accenting thread) and patience for whatever time you need to slowly sew the section shut (10-15 minutes to several hours). I think the thread is the stuff that's harder to source than the needle. I don't even think you'd need an expensive hook needle. A thick enough straight needle you carefully bend with a pair of pliers is good enough. I'd also recommend spending around 5-10 minutes on random other fabric to get used to the basic movement before trying for the first time. Sewing honestly isn't as difficult as it seems and it's a useful skill. You probably want around 2-4mm of fabric on each side pulling inwards.

TBH, I wouldn't purely watch these upholstery videos to practice and get an idea how to repair the chair. I'd watch them last, but watch jeans repair/hemming videos first to get the basic skills and build up towards a repair on a seat. It's a great skill to have and I've helped address a fashion emergency or two on occasion and the occasional DIY hemming. I'm not as awesome as the video below and there's a few more types of stitches I think I'd need to research and practice, more... but yeah. A totally underrated life skill I'd actually recommend others to learn and something I will probably end up teaching my kids to do.

Barring DIY or paying someone to do it proper, the cheapest low skill required method if it's on the sitting area is a $10-30 seat cover or nice ish looking gel/foam cushion from wherever. You can sorta cover it up if you don't want to see it or if you don't want to spend big bucks repairing it.

Random...

I was going to sew a rip on a car seat myself, but I was in a rush to sell my car a few years ago during the pandemic to buy another vehicle and just did that a few weeks before to see if I could squeak it past someone in a private sale (cosmetic issue, not a safety one, I'm not that unethical). It was some $8-9 clearance special at Canadian tire for a cushion normally $25-30. Honestly though, I bought two and I still use one of them. Hiding damage and longer term protecting the seat wise, gel cushions are great, especially for road trips and not as cold in winter/hot for summer for vinyl and leather.

In the end, a family friend was looking for it for their niece, so I told them about the rip/let them keep the gel cushion (she just had to pop off cushion cover and wash before using). They were more happy with the fact the vehicle was in excellent mechanical condition vs the aesthetics (slight rip in seat plus hail damage that was really hard to notice without specialized lights).

"WTF DoubleF, how do you know how to sew/repair clothes this well?"
"Well, I was practicing towards repairing upholstery in my vehicle... didn't do the vehicle, but I did repair a suede loveseat and dining table chair I've had for a while that I really liked."
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:59 AM   #5551
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any ideas how the best to address a basic door ding? I got one last week about 1.5cm in a triangular scuff shape with an uncertain amount of dent. I've had to get a few things addressed in the last few years and the price is a bit higher than I've liked.

Anything I should be aware of before trying to DIY this and is are there good tips and tricks to do the paint? Also, is there any point to getting one of the below styes of door ding kits to address the dent before seeing if I can DIY the color blending/buffing and polishing? There's $40-70 kits of Amazon, but I've seen them below $20 on Temu, but I think I can get the components I need for even cheaper.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mookis-Paintle...%2C133&sr=8-12

I was looking at the kits and one of the tools looks like the plastic capped mallet thing from my watch kit I've never seemed to need. I was thinking to position that in a strategic position and tap it with a hammer or rubber mallet to see if I can make the dent less noticeable (if required) before doing the color/polishing. That's the primary tool I think I'd need without getting the other pry thing to actually try and yank a dent upwards (which I don't think I need?).

Paint wise, I wonder if it's more than scuffed, whether I should do the all out sanding, primer, paint and clear coat, or if there's another practical way to just do a filler using paint pen/nail polish before waxing/polishing.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote