Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #3841
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate to keep piling on it, but more reviews and commentary is coming out now that the embargo is over. Definitely looks like the the spamming of locked content behind additional paywalls is fracking terrible.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/jdavisign/2...s-creed-unity/

If Assassin’s Creed Unity represents the future direction of AAA video games, I seriously question the future health and legitimacy of this industry.

These are 8 real things I experienced within Assassin’s Creed Unity’s first 2-3 hours:

- I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.
- I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.
- I tried to open a third treasure chest, and was told I needed to upgrade Arno’s lockpicking skill.
- I upgraded Arno’s lockpicking skill, and was told my skill level still wasn’t high enough to open that chest.I gave up.
- When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.
- I saw a woman floating through the air.
- I heard the same line of dialogue 5 times during an early-game chase mission.
- I experienced my character flip all around on the side of a building instead of climb through the window like I wanted.
- None of the above includes subjective elements I found troublesome, including confusing and uninteresting “modern day” moments, trial and error mission design, and soulless NPCs.

This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content. This is a $60 video game that paces out unlockables and upgrades at the exact speed that Ubisoft wanted, but then offers to sell you “time savers.”

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 11-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #3842
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even sure what happened here.

SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #3843
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shadow of Mordor might be my game of the year so far. I'm having a hell of a good time with it.

It's like a better Assasins Creed for me with more enjoyable combat and far more enjoyable enemies and systems. Highly recommended for those that haven't played it yet.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #3844
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Watch Dogs, The Crew and AC Unity, Ubisoft has a terrible record so far on the new consoles. I'm actually really worried about Far Cry 4 now...
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #3845
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'm not even sure what happened here.

I got that a few times, dent in the water where the ship would be, but no ship.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #3846
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad I learned a couple years ago that Assassin's Creed is not a first day purchase, as it's pretty much always a buggy mess until the first (at least) update. Part of the reason I decided to wait until Jesusmas to get a PS4, when I'll finally pick up (a price dropped, bug-fixed) Unity.

I'm sure once it's patched it'll be a good game (at least the free roam exploring/murdering around Paris part). But it's pretty disgraceful how Ubi releases a broken product every single year. Heaven forbid they actually delay an AC to iron all the bugs out..

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #3847
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ridley Scott's 'Halo' TV show is off to a very, very bad start
I watched that last night, and I have to agree, it was not very good. I was actually quite disappointed considering that "Forward unto Dawn" was actually good, and the special effects there were light years ahead of the latest offering.

I'll still watch it because I'm a fanboi, but colour me disappointed for sure.

Hopefully Halo 5 has a compelling storyline that picks up where the latest novels finished off. They're easy reads, but I thought the story arc was a good progression from the end of the Human/Covenant war.

I enjoyed playing Halo 4, and thought the story was interesting (it's a lot better if you read the companion novels), but it did seem out of place with the other games in the franchise.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #3848
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah i'm quite disappointed now about ACU. I bought the seasons pass this time because i never buy it but i have really come to love the AC series and thought there would be some good stuff coming down. i haven't tried the game yet but having a small case of buyer's remorse already... i do really want it to be an absolutely amazing game though; french revolution in paris with the feel of ezio in AC2? what could be better? man i hope that they get it fixed.

i chose the AC over MCC knowing that MCC will be on sale cyber monday...besides i am still leveling up on destiny for my fps fix.

on the other hand, i bought the season pass for lego batman 3 and the kids have been playing it a lot; there seem to be some extra missions there which hopefully make the early purchase worth it. i never regret buying the lego games though.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #3849
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can I trade my preorder of ACU for Dragon Age Inquisition?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #3850
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
May opt to play LEGO Batman 3 while Unity bakes some more.
Controller support for PC broken. You have to manually map the controls and sometimes it saves, then it doesn't let you edit it again unless you delete the controller config. Other than that we are liking it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #3851
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Ubisoft had hidden/disabled the microtransactions from the review copies of Assassin's Creed Parity.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #3852
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got my ACU today in the mail from the E3 $49 deal. Decided from the reviews that it's not going to be a game I finished so I traded it in at EB for Alien Isolation. I'm just not down for games like this and Destiny that are half baked games that you get nickelled and dimmed to get the full experience.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #3853
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So Black Flag was a spinoff title that everyone assumed would be a quick cash grab and would suck, but was a very nice surprise and one of the best games in the series. And Unity appeared to be the next big traditional game in the series with several major advancements, but it's falling flat. It's obvious that Ubisoft has separate teams working on these games now since it's turned into a yearly franchise, so maybe next year will be the "good" one
The only reason I picked up Unity is because I liked Black Flag so much but it sounds like this series needs to be put on hiatus for a couple of years so the team at Ubisoft can come up with something fresh.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #3854
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubisoft really crapped the bed with AC: Unity. How can they release a game with so many bugs?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #3855
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Apparently Ubisoft had hidden/disabled the microtransactions from the review copies of Assassin's Creed Parity.

That is pretty ridiculous if true, these companies build up brands and are taking advantage of pre-orders.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #3856
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That is pretty ridiculous if true, these companies build up brands and are taking advantage of pre-orders.
There was earlier discussion on Giantbomb and here at 1:18:20

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/massi.../2300-6422241/

Since clarified:

Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #3857
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Master Chief Collection is glorious.

Also, wasn't sure how I'd feel about Sunset Overdrive, but it's simply a blast to play. I'm having way more fun with it than I did with Dead Rising 3, despite the overarching concepts being similar.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #3858
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

For people with AC:U, is that true the frame rate drops have been particularly horrible on PS4? Just curious, because I'm a 360 owner who was about to make the jump over to PS for current gen, mostly based on the fact it supposedly has better hardware to support better/smoother graphics (slightly, I know. But still) than XBone.

But so far with Unity, it sounds like the frame rate problems have been much worse on PS4 than XBone, just as they were worse on PS3 than 360 for AC3. If this is true, I may have to re-think going PS4 over the XBone next month..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #3859
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
For people with AC:U, is that true the frame rate drops have been particularly horrible on PS4? Just curious, because I'm a 360 owner who was about to make the jump over to PS for current gen, mostly based on the fact it supposedly has better hardware to support better/smoother graphics (slightly, I know. But still) than XBone.

But so far with Unity, it sounds like the frame rate problems have been much worse on PS4 than XBone, just as they were worse on PS3 than 360 for AC3. If this is true, I may have to re-think going PS4 over the XBone next month..
AC:U is pretty much the only multi-platform game that has performed worse on the PS4 versus the Xbone. They're pretty much par or better for every other game released over the last year.

Given the ridiculous condition of the launch version of this single particular game, I'd chalk this more to a one off rushed job than anything. If you're cynical, you could also maybe chalk it up to the fact that this is the very first time that Microsoft has a marketing deal for a Assassin's Creed game. Or the stupid parity comments from the CEO earlier.

Personally, I view the PS4 as my likely default for multi-platform games at this stage. At least for console TV gaming.

EDIT: Which of course doesn't preclude the fact that you'll likely want to grab an Xbone for the respective exclusives at some point. Certainly MCC is worth it.

Even Digital Foundry can't understand the performance difference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis

In the meantime, the reasons behind the resolution parity and Xbox One's performance advantage remain something of a mystery. We know that the Microsoft hardware has more CPU time available, and that animation and AI tend to stress processor hardware heavily. The sheer volume of objects on-screen means that the CPU is working overtime in order to prepare the draw-call data for the graphics hardware. There's also the possibility that the Microsoft compiler may be producing more efficient code than its Sony equivalent, though it's hard to believe that even this combination of potential factors could explain the performance differential we see here in many places. Quite why PS4 isn't rendering at a higher resolution is certainly a bit of a puzzler - in addition to GPU resources, it is worth bearing in mind that memory could be a factor too, especially bearing in mind the complexity of Assassin's Creed Unity's next-gen renderer. Of course, the reality may be rather more mundane: we may simply be looking at a game where the developers ran out of time - there's certainly the sense that both console versions of the game aren't running at their best.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-11-2014 at 07:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #3860
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubisoft is the problem. There is way more chaos and crazy #### going on in a game like Sunset Overdrive and for AC:U to have the problems it's having, it's all on Ubi, period.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: