Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #3681
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ugh MemEx got in one of the two models of 980 GTX I'd like, but it's $684!

Wonder what my 670 GTXes would sell for...
Not as much as you'd like I'm sure. I only got $200 for one 680, after a month of postings in various places.

That said, the 980 will cream 2x 670s, because it beat out my 2x680s by about 10%-12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #3682
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/13/xbox-one-outsold-ps4/

He is estimating that Microsoft sold 325,000 new Xbox Ones at U.S. retailers last month while Sony sold 250,000 PS4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Assuming the numbers are accurate, his explanation for why the One would have sold more makes me scratch my head.

For 250,000 sales in one month, that works out to ~8,333 sold / day. Making the assumption that both the PS4 and the Xbox One sold on par with each other for all but those seven days, that means that about ~19,047 Xbox Ones were sold per day during the promotion. Do those sorts of promotions usually result in >100% increase in sales?
Yeah, NPD numbers are released/leaking out today and he's not really close. Sounds like the PS4 did something like 550,000 - 600,000 for the month. Not sure about Xbone numbers but leaks will continue I'm sure.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #3683
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if Xbox Live/Microsoft's servers have had gone in any repeated fashion in the past? While I haven't had too much trouble with PSN, it's quite frustrating/laughable when you see things like DriveClub not being able to release a game on time, much less a demo/online play.

Or even right now where you can't even log into Destiny.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #3684
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Not as much as you'd like I'm sure. I only got $200 for one 680, after a month of postings in various places.
Yeah I've been trying to sell a 280X without much success too even going below $200.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #3685
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, NPD numbers are released/leaking out today and he's not really close. Sounds like the PS4 did something like 550,000 - 600,000 for the month. Not sure about Xbone numbers but leaks will continue I'm sure.
I'm not even sure why he'd bother making such a prediction in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Curious if Xbox Live/Microsoft's servers have had gone in any repeated fashion in the past? While I haven't had too much trouble with PSN, it's quite frustrating/laughable when you see things like DriveClub not being able to release a game on time, much less a demo/online play.

Not quite as bad as what you're experiencing. Where quality / reliability of service is concerned, XBL has had the upper hand since its inception, owing to it being a paid service and as a result having the money to invest back into the infrastructure. PSN for online play was free up until the PS4 was released (though it's still free for PS3).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #3686
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

January 2008 is the last time I have ever had a problem and that was because like two million 360s were bought so a lot of people were all of a sudden online.Which crashed the system.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #3687
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

lol Patcher is an idiot...as are his followers
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #3688
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol Patcher is an idiot...as are his followers
Well, to be fair I have to assume that those predictions are just one of many that he does for his scope of work. Certainly seems like a nice/cool enough of a guy from what I've seen of him on things like Gametrailers. Never met him though.

Sounds like he figured the one free game would entice people to buy the Xbone more than the PS4 this month. MCC is coming and I have to imagine that it surely has to push the system to sell more than the PS4 for at least that month. Though I wonder what value proposition Microsoft will have to offer to begin closing that widening sales gap. More free games or even bigger discounts I assume?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #3689
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, to be fair I have to assume that those predictions are just one of many that he does for his scope of work. Certainly seems like a nice/cool enough of a guy from what I've seen of him on things like Gametrailers. Never met him though.

Sounds like he figured the one free game would entice people to buy the Xbone more than the PS4 this month. MCC is coming and I have to imagine that it surely has to push the system to sell more than the PS4 for at least that month. Though I wonder what value proposition Microsoft will have to offer to begin closing that widening sales gap. More free games or even bigger discounts I assume?
He is constantly wrong and then gets all defensive when people call him out...it was pretty dumb of him to start throwing around numbers when he didn't have a clue
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #3690
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did some more reading and apparently Pachter is usually pretty accurate. I guess we all have our bad days.

Despite Microsoft not being allowed to advertise it, Destiny as a standalone title sold more copies on the One than it did on the PS4 according to the NPD numbers.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #3691
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did some more reading and apparently Pachter is usually pretty accurate. I guess we all have our bad days.

Despite Microsoft not being allowed to advertise it, Destiny as a standalone title sold more copies on the One than it did on the PS4 according to the NPD numbers.
That is because the PS4 destiny bundle sold like hotcakes...standalone sure but more people have the game on PS4
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #3692
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An unfortunate issue with NPD these days is (and you are right), they don't account for digital sales at all; or count bundle deals like the exclusive PS4 Destiny bundle. The free game promotion that Microsoft put out was well timed for the Destiny release and required it to be the separate physical copy (not digital).

Based on the Destiny forum thread it looks like there were a lot of (mostly?) PS players and that seems to be tracking what Activision and Bungie are seeing for what they call the "leading platform" for the game.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/10...stones/112360/
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #3693
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also interesting, is this tidbit given the recently announced EA Access program (not being on the PS4 platform of course).

Old 10-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #3694
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Because Xbox One owners were smart enough not to buy that steaming pile of NHL '15 until EA either fixes it or releases NHL '16.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #3695
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ Because Xbox One owners were smart enough not to buy that steaming pile of NHL '15 until EA either fixes it or releases NHL '16.
Heh!

Crap, I also forgot that I have a PSN Ultimate Team Gold Packs DLC code thing sitting in my mailbox. If any fool supported this terrible game, please feel free to PM me for it.

I promise to keep your purchase quiet.

EDIT: Gone!

Last edited by chemgear; 10-17-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #3696
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

On EA Access and EA sales, EA access is digital only downloads and as established earlier digital copies do not count in NPD numbers. I have EA access and the 10% discount, and I'm not compelled to buy any of those games. On the other hand, I am happy to pay for the vault games with my annual fee.

Does it matter? I don't think so. but it is a bit one sided to discount physical copies on one platform on one title, and then trumpet physical sales of a different game on the same platform. it can't be both.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #3697
Stanathan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I bought an XBone a few weeks ago with Madden 15 and NHL 15 and I played NHL for about 5 minutes and realized ther is no player edit and no "Live the Life" and I ejected NHL and haven't put it back in since. Madden is fine but it's 25 over again but at least they didn't dump the things I liked from 25.

I'm fairly disappointed so far.
Stanathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #3698
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanathan View Post
I bought an XBone a few weeks ago with Madden 15 and NHL 15 and I played NHL for about 5 minutes and realized ther is no player edit and no "Live the Life" and I ejected NHL and haven't put it back in since. Madden is fine but it's 25 over again but at least they didn't dump the things I liked from 25.

I'm fairly disappointed so far.
I'll buy the next-gen NHL '15 when it drops a bit more in price, if only to have SOME next-gen hockey action.

But goddamn it, I'll do it begrudgingly.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #3699
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Does it matter? I don't think so. but it is a bit one sided to discount physical copies on one platform on one title, and then trumpet physical sales of a different game on the same platform. it can't be both.
That's a good point. It's too bad that we will likely never see the digital numbers (which will also likely grow over time as well).
Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #3700
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
That said, the 980 will cream 2x 670s, because it beat out my 2x680s by about 10%-12%
Lol, should put the absolute BOOTS to my dual 480's then. I need that card to come down a hair. How long does it usually take for new cards to drop in price? I really really need to upgrade my vid cards soon.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote