Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #3661
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/13/xbox-one-outsold-ps4/

The Xbox One sold better than the PlayStation 4 in September, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter. He is estimating that Microsoft sold 325,000 new Xbox Ones at U.S. retailers last month while Sony sold 250,000 PS4s. This is notable because Sony’s system has sold better than Microsoft’s in nearly every month since each gaming device launched in November.

These Wedbush numbers are just a prediction, and we should learn if they are accurate this Thursday when industry-tracking firm The NPD Group reveals its sales data for the month of September. If they do hold out, it’s pretty clear how Xbox One bested the PS4 despite Sony’s momentum and Destiny: Microsoft made an appeal to gamers’ wallets.

“From Sept. 7 through [Sept.] 13, Microsoft offered a free game with the purchase of a new Xbox One at participating retailers,” said Pachter.
Assuming the numbers are accurate, his explanation for why the One would have sold more makes me scratch my head.

For 250,000 sales in one month, that works out to ~8,333 sold / day. Making the assumption that both the PS4 and the Xbox One sold on par with each other for all but those seven days, that means that about ~19,047 Xbox Ones were sold per day during the promotion. Do those sorts of promotions usually result in >100% increase in sales?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #3662
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calling Xbone owners for some comments....

I've had a PS4 since launch and now have caved and picked up an Xbone bundle (with Kinect). I haven't opened it yet as I'm thinking about returning it. How does the OneGuide work with a Shaw cable PVR? Does it work well enough to use yours to control your TV & Cable box?

Some of the exclusives interest me (Forza, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Quantum Break etc.). Are there any other big time exclusives I might be forgetting about?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the system from those who own one or both consoles. Not sure if its worth owning both or not. I'm thinking I would use the PS4 for all multi platform games and use the Xbox for exclusives.
C Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3663
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Squared View Post

I've had a PS4 since launch and now have caved and picked up an Xbone bundle (with Kinect). I haven't opened it yet as I'm thinking about returning it. How does the OneGuide work with a Shaw cable PVR? Does it work well enough to use yours to control your TV & Cable box?

Some of the exclusives interest me (Forza, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Quantum Break etc.). Are there any other big time exclusives I might be forgetting about?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the system from those who own one or both consoles. Not sure if its worth owning both or not. I'm thinking I would use the PS4 for all multi platform games and use the Xbox for exclusives.
Sunset Overdrive has the potential to be one of the better games of the year as it's being created by Insomniac Games who made the Ratchet and Clank games. Outside of that it depends I guess if you like Halo as the upcoming Halo Collection will be a good value.

As for the guide it's way better than Shaw's and I believe DVR functionality depends on which cable receivers you are using. The XBone is a superior media device over PS4 but I don't know how much merit that holds to you since you have a PS4 already. Ultimately it comes down to money as if money isn't an issue I would get it as each console will have it's share of solid exclusives and having both means you get to play all the best games. If money is tight maybe you can hold off.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #3664
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Sunset Overdrive has the potential to be one of the better games of the year as it's being created by Insomniac Games who made the Ratchet and Clank games. Outside of that it depends I guess if you like Halo as the upcoming Halo Collection will be a good value.

As for the guide it's way better than Shaw's and I believe DVR functionality depends on which cable receivers you are using. The XBone is a superior media device over PS4 but I don't know how much merit that holds to you since you have a PS4 already. Ultimately it comes down to money as if money isn't an issue I would get it as each console will have it's share of solid exclusives and having both means you get to play all the best games. If money is tight maybe you can hold off.

Thanks for your thoughts. Money isn't an issue at all so that isn't part of my worry. I've never really been in to Halo however I haven't really tried. The MCC looks like a pretty solid deal considering all of the content you get. Sunset Overdrive looks interesting as well. I had both an Xbox & PS3 last generation and didn't regret it at all. Really enjoyed both systems and got a lot of mileage out of them. I game a bit too much perhaps haha.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #3665
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I own both, PS4 for multiplats for sure...do you have a gaming PC? I am finding all the Xbone exclusives I want to play are also on the PC.

For now I am not using the Xbone much but keeping it for Halo. For the media stuff I use a HTPC which is better than any console offering so I can't speak much on that.

To be fair I don't like racing games at all but Forza seems to get good reviews so that might make owning both worthwhile. Do you have a Wii U? Honestly right now I would rather have a Wii U and PS4 or Xbone since you are getting something very different with the Wii U
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #3666
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I own both, PS4 for multiplats for sure...do you have a gaming PC? I am finding all the Xbone exclusives I want to play are also on the PC.

For now I am not using the Xbone much but keeping it for Halo. For the media stuff I use a HTPC which is better than any console offering so I can't speak much on that.

To be fair I don't like racing games at all but Forza seems to get good reviews so that might make owning both worthwhile. Do you have a Wii U? Honestly right now I would rather have a Wii U and PS4 or Xbone since you are getting something very different with the Wii U
No gaming PC for me. I spend most of my day at work on a computer so the last thing I want to do is come home and sit on a computer again.

I don't have a Wii U either. I mostly enjoy the Nintendo games in a social setting (Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.). Might be something to look into however.....
Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #3667
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't much interested in the latest systems until I saw Shadows of Mordor, picked up the Xbox One and that prior to last weekend, set it up but didn't get any real playing time in until last night. Great game and really enjoying the Xbox one as well. Best Buy had Watch Dogs on sale for 39.99 as well, I'll get to that eventually but I have a dirty habit of buying games and rarely if ever playing them.

Anyways, really liking the xbox one, going to set it up to my TV here shortly and see what that's like.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #3668
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No gaming PC for me. I spend most of my day at work on a computer so the last thing I want to do is come home and sit on a computer again.

I don't have a Wii U either. I mostly enjoy the Nintendo games in a social setting (Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.). Might be something to look into however.....
I have all 3 consoles and an above average PC

Wii U might get the most use at the moment...and Bayonetta 2 looks like the best reviewed game in a long time
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #3669
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

WiiU is a must own for me right now, especially because I have kids. Some really great games already available and some even better ones coming out soon.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #3670
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Wasn't much interested in the latest systems until I saw Shadows of Mordor, picked up the Xbox One and that prior to last weekend, set it up but didn't get any real playing time in until last night. Great game and really enjoying the Xbox one as well. Best Buy had Watch Dogs on sale for 39.99 as well, I'll get to that eventually but I have a dirty habit of buying games and rarely if ever playing them.

Anyways, really liking the xbox one, going to set it up to my TV here shortly and see what that's like.
outside of NHL, that's my issue also. How are u enjoying shadows of mordor? How hard is the game?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #3671
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
WiiU is a must own for me right now, especially because I have kids. Some really great games already available and some even better ones coming out soon.
for sure if you have kids Wii U is a must...I can't believe all these idiot parents who let their kids play COD and GTA
Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #3672
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
outside of NHL, that's my issue also. How are u enjoying shadows of mordor? How hard is the game?
Really enjoying it so far.

It almost felt repetitive at first but as you battle each group and their captains that feeling is lost, each death possibly means something. It's a well paced game in terms of how you gain new abilities and when. The main storyline is lacking but the system of fighting each Ork group is downright addictive. Combat system is great as well, really responsive to each press of the controller.

It's a hard game, for me, I generally suck at games but its rewarding to kill an Ork that bested you one or several times before, finally getting him.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #3673
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
for sure if you have kids Wii U is a must...I can't believe all these idiot parents who let their kids play COD and GTA
I was at EB games last week putting in a pre-order for Smash and a mom and her 10 year old kid are paying after me. The employee starts telling her that the game she has is the most foul most disturbing game ever and goes on a rant. I thought for sure it was GTA, its was Stick of truth.

I didn't stick around to see if they bought it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #3674
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

OneGuide works great with the Shaw HD-PVR. I have it hooked up myself. The guide is accurate, and the IR firing doesn't skip a beat (which is nice because the damn Pace HD-PVR can be finicky about actually accepting number entry with its own remote). Also knows my channel favorites versus my girlfriend's. She can set her favorite channels on her Live profile (which recognizes her and signs her in automatically), and when I go into the OneGuide, it shows mine instead.

Halo - Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive are two of the other titles you might want to keep your eyes open for.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #3675
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Really enjoying it so far.

It almost felt repetitive at first but as you battle each group and their captains that feeling is lost, each death possibly means something. It's a well paced game in terms of how you gain new abilities and when. The main storyline is lacking but the system of fighting each Ork group is downright addictive. Combat system is great as well, really responsive to each press of the controller.

It's a hard game, for me, I generally suck at games but its rewarding to kill an Ork that bested you one or several times before, finally getting him.
I like the revenge system because you will die a lot as you can't simply jump into a fight with 5+ Orcs and survive without bailing. Getting revenge on the Orcs that killed you earlier is satisfying. That said even trying to assassinate a nemesis takes a bit of strategy as you will quickly get surrounded against a foe that can't be taken out quickly. The developers did a good job adapting the stellar Batman Arkham Asylum combat system to a middle earth game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #3676
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

All the stuff I have hated about my 360,They changed or improved on my Xbox One.A new update just came out today and project spark is out it only cost 40$ looks really interesting

Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #3677
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox One update today added full DLNA capabilities pretty much the missing piece of the puzzle for me, I can now stream media (mostly music for me) directly from my phone or any other device, and its snap-able. The Chromecast I bought recently is going back to the store, the Xbox One has truly become my all in one device, no need to switch inputs to anything else. Very happy with how the system has been updated and what it can deliver now.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #3678
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ugh MemEx got in one of the two models of 980 GTX I'd like, but it's $684!

Wonder what my 670 GTXes would sell for...
Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #3679
C Squared
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! Looks like I'm gonna keep the Xbone.

Feel free to add me to your friends lists on both Live & PSN:

PSN = Cochrane44
Live = Mitchy Pacino
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #3680
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ugh MemEx got in one of the two models of 980 GTX I'd like, but it's $684!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: