Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #3621
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
I have yet to see any"next gen" graphics from eithe sony or MS.

S FU, these consoles changed nothing.
NBA2k, Killzone, Ryse (yeah I know) among others have far better graphics than anything on last gen.

sometimes I wonder what people are playing them on...19" monitors?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #3622
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
I have yet to see any"next gen" graphics from eithe sony or MS.

S FU, these consoles changed nothing.
It's already starting. The Order might look kinda boring but the graphics are extraordinary. Finak Fantasy XV looks amazing. And Uncharted 4 is going to set a new standard for visuals this gen.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #3623
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I really don't see this being the case with this console gen. "Optimizing" hardware isn't really a thing, since consoles are now more or less crippled PCs with a better API.
I have to admit I am a little disappointed that the only thing the PS4 and XB1 offer over last gen is the ability to display the same games at 1080p. It seems the more games I play from this current gen the less I am impressed but part of that's due to the fact that you start getting used to the higher resolutions and are no longer wowed by a clean 1080p title after being used to 720p. My issue is that a full year almost into release and the best looking games so far are still launch titles although Destiny is right up there. I get the feeling this generation isn't going to have legs as things are going to advance faster on the PC side of things. They both seem pretty limited and are already being outpaced by average PC's. That said I'm sure a few developers will be able to unlock some pretty stunning console games in the future.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #3624
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to admit I am a little disappointed that the only thing the PS4 and XB1 offer over last gen is the ability to display the same games at 1080p. It seems the more games I play from this current gen the less I am impressed but part of that's due to the fact that you start getting used to the higher resolutions and are no longer wowed by a clean 1080p title after being used to 720p. My issue is that a full year almost into release and the best looking games so far are still launch titles although Destiny is right up there. I get the feeling this generation isn't going to have legs as things are going to advance faster on the PC side of things. They both seem pretty limited and are already being outpaced by average PC's. That said I'm sure a few developers will be able to unlock some pretty stunning console games in the future.
1080p is last generation they should be striving for 4k.I believe the Xbox One is the only system that can do 4k.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #3625
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
1080p is last generation they should be striving for 4k.I believe the Xbox One is the only system that can do 4k.
Not likely. I remember this quote from Microsoft when the Xbox1 was announced.

Quote:
Following the Xbox One's unveiling on Tuesday, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi told Forbes the console's video and interface will work with HDTVs.

"The video and interface portions [will work with next-gen TVs], absolutely," he said. "Games developed for 1080p will run at 1080p, obviously."
Both systems would have trouble with 4k at 30 frames per second. But Xbox can't event get to 1080p now, so I highly doubt 4k is even on the horizon.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #3626
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My issue is that a full year almost into release and the best looking games so far are still launch titles although Destiny is right up there.
A year is a fairly short length of development time though, especially if you like AAA games. They are generally on multi-year cycles. Even something like COD now has a 3 year development cycle with separate 3 studios working on them to get one out per year.

Still, a high end gaming rig is the way to go if you have the money.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #3627
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
lol is this a joke? Xbox one has barley any games that hit 1080p
Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #3628
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol is this a joke? Xbox one has barley any games that hit 1080p
You guys and your nonsense. All they said is that that it has the ability upscale to 4k. Neither console has the power to do native 4k but Microsoft claims the XB1 can support 3840 x 2160 resolution output to which the PS4 apparently can't. In the big picture this probably doesn't mean a lot unless we get to the days you can stream 4k programming.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #3629
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys and your nonsense. All they said is that that it has the ability upscale to 4k. Neither console has the power to do native 4k but Microsoft claims the XB1 can support 3840 x 2160 resolution output to which the PS4 apparently can't. In the big picture this probably doesn't mean a lot unless we get to the days you can stream 4k programming.
Yeah and in the same press conference they said that, they said that if a game is developed in 1080p then OBVIOUSLY it would play on the Xbox1 at 1080p. So no, the Xbox can't play games at 4k as it can hardly play games at 1080p.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #3630
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, upscaling is garbage. Especially for videogames. Making pixels bigger does not make the image any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #3631
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
our nonsense? what they can upscale a still photo to 4k?

we are talking about videogames and xbone has struggled to hit 1080p in many games its no secret and certainly not nonsense.

Furthermore microsoft has claimed a lot of things that weren't true
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #3632
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the GT 720 in my workstation can do 4k, but it would die a horrible flaming death if I tried to game on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #3633
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
our nonsense? what they can upscale a still photo to 4k?

we are talking about videogames and xbone has struggled to hit 1080p in many games its no secret and certainly not nonsense.

Furthermore microsoft has claimed a lot of things that weren't true
Such as?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #3634
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Yeah and in the same press conference they said that, they said that if a game is developed in 1080p then OBVIOUSLY it would play on the Xbox1 at 1080p. So no, the Xbox can't play games at 4k as it can hardly play games at 1080p.
Who said the XB1 could play games at 4k?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #3635
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Such as?
Xbox One won't function without kinect
Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #3636
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who said the XB1 could play games at 4k?
What the #### do you think we are discussing in here? Maybe you should have actually looked at the quote I was replying to before jumping in to save the day for Microsoft as always

The poster said they should be striving for 4k and 1080p is last gen in response to discussion of how current gen GAMES look. He went on to mention only Xbone can do 4k which is funny because they are having major issues hitting 1080p in games that are 1080p on PS4 (that is not debatable)

Last edited by dino7c; 10-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #3637
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Xbox One won't function without kinect
Until it was programmed to properly do so, it didn't in so far as it was a mess without it.

The fact that my car will run and drive forward without them doesn't mean that tires are unnecessary for the function of my car as dictated by the manufacturer until such time as the car is designed not to require them. (Cars with tank treads!)
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #3638
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Until it was programmed to properly do so, it didn't in so far as it was a mess without it.

The fact that my car will run and drive forward without them doesn't mean that tires are unnecessary for the function of my car as dictated by the manufacturer until such time as the car is designed not to require them. (Cars with tank treads!)
You must do yoga with stretching that good
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #3639
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

how did I know you would show up when I mentioned the Kinect!

Microsoft also said they would never sell the system without kinect
Always online
Their GPU is just as powerful
No Problems getting games to 1080p
DX 12 giving a big boost to performance

Microsoft said a lot of things, why would anyone buy the 4k crap

Honestly I have the thing and its not a bad system...they are just full of ####
Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #3640
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What the #### do you think we are discussing in here? Maybe you should have actually looked at the quote I was replying to before jumping in to save the day for Microsoft as always

The poster said they should be striving for 4k and 1080p is last gen in response to discussion of how current gen GAMES look. He went on to mention only Xbone can do 4k which is funny because they are having major issues hitting 1080p in games that are 1080p on PS4 (that is not debatable)
LOL do you have anger issues or something? What the hell are you talking about? I was referencing the post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I'm not jumping to save the day for anyone as I even said that the XB1's support for 4K means little as far as gaming is concerned. You fanboys amuse me. I don't understand why I have to hate the XB1 just so I'm not considered "jumping in to save the day for Microsoft as always". It's not like either console is wowing anyone right now.